Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair

Default Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:53:32 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

I had forgotten all about it but just pulled it out of the camera box.
Had I a glass filter, it would likely have saved the lens.

I don't agree with that without seeing the lens. If the lens fell in
such a way that the edge or side of the lens took the impact, the
torsion would break the lens. A filter would have been no help.

Hi Tony,

I don't really know if a filter would have helped.

Here is a picture of the crack.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8663221.jpg

It's hard to see but it's a u-shaped crack in the relatively flat glass
on front of the lens. The marking on the lens say:
Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G

Looking closely, there are also little tiny dots of what appears to be
the broken bits of glass scattered about. I can take a better picture if
you need more information.

I didn't 'see' the camera get dropped. The kids were taking pictures,
and, when I got the camera back, it had the spar. I didn't know who did
it and they didn't say. It was, of course, my fault for letting 10 year
olds use my camera ... but that's a foregone conclusion.

They were playing on boulders and snapping pictures so I can only assume
they dropped it (or swung it into the rocks).

That might be too much detail - but - I wonder - would a filter have
prevented this crack?
Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair

Default Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

In article , Arklin K.
wrote:

That might be too much detail - but - I wonder - would a filter have
prevented this crack?

probably.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 20:36:25 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

[...]

Is there a ding anywhere on the rim?

I didn't 'see' the camera get dropped. The kids were taking pictures,
and, when I got the camera back, it had the spar. I didn't know who did
it and they didn't say. It was, of course, my fault for letting 10 year
olds use my camera ... but that's a foregone conclusion.

They were playing on boulders and snapping pictures so I can only assume
they dropped it (or swung it into the rocks).

That might be too much detail - but - I wonder - would a filter have
prevented this crack?

You really don't know. Now you're not even sure if the lens was
dropped. It could have been swung into something. If it was attached
to the body, the camera was unlikely to drop with the lens face first.
The weight of the body would cause it to rotate.

A filter in place would not have hurt, but may not have helped.

It doesn't make much difference at this point.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 20:40:54 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

Is there a ding anywhere on the rim?

Absolutely not. Only the glass is cracked. I doubt the rim contacted
anything because a close inspection shows it to be pristine.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-08 16:25:01 -0700, "Arklin K." said:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 20:40:54 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

Is there a ding anywhere on the rim?

Absolutely not. Only the glass is cracked. I doubt the rim contacted
anything because a close inspection shows it to be pristine.

You could probably still have a usable lens if you fill the chip with
black India ink. This will reduce any flare caused by the chip &/or
scratches.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...condition.html

This is somewhat simplified, but spells out the idea.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4899282_fix-...mera-lens.html

Not perfect, but one way to salvage a working lens out of one you are
about to write off.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:07:57 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

You could probably still have a usable lens if you fill the chip with
black India ink.

Now that's an interesting idea!

Thanks.