Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air gap valves

I know codes dictate if you need one, we do not need one in our area.
However, after reading about them, I would feel better if we had one.

Do you need to mount it up by the faucet? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gomba" wrote in message ...
I know codes dictate if you need one, we do not need one in our area.
However, after reading about them, I would feel better if we had one.

Do you need to mount it up by the faucet? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Sorry, this is for a dishwasher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:44:30 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

"Gomba" wrote in message ...
I know codes dictate if you need one, we do not need one in our area.
However, after reading about them, I would feel better if we had one.

Do you need to mount it up by the faucet? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Sorry, this is for a dishwasher.

Installation is different if you have a disposal. A plug will have to
be removed in the disposal. Check the DW manual.

Pic: (search for other images)

http://www.homerepairforum.com/images/uploads/2005-2-18_Dishwasher_Drain_Connection_w550.JPG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2012 9:44 AM, Gomba wrote:
wrote in message ...
I know codes dictate if you need one, we do not need one in our area.
However, after reading about them, I would feel better if we had one.

Do you need to mount it up by the faucet? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Sorry, this is for a dishwasher.

No, only needs to be higher than the sink water will ever get. Does your
sink have a hole for an air gap? Usually filled by a decorative plug.

Also the inlet and outlet ports on the air gap are different sizes.
Outlet is larger so it should always be able to handle the outflow from
your dishwasher.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I know codes dictate if you need one, we do not need one in our area.
However, after reading about them, I would feel better if we had one.

Do you need to mount it up by the faucet? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Sorry, this is for a dishwasher.

No, only needs to be higher than the sink water will ever get. Does your
sink have a hole for an air gap? Usually filled by a decorative plug.

Also the inlet and outlet ports on the air gap are different sizes.
Outlet is larger so it should always be able to handle the outflow from
your dishwasher.

Paul

After looking what Oren posted, and further searching, I believe maybe I
pushed the panic button.

It will be hooked to a garbage disposal, waste for dishwasher will be
looped high to the disposal. To answer your question, the sink is not in
yet. It is going to be an under mount Blanco, to granite top.

Figure if the water gets higher than my sink, I'm in trouble anyways. An
air gap would just let the water flow into an overflowing sink!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The directions in a new disposal will show how to remove the "plug", I
mentioned. Easy with a screwdriver and a couple taps with a hammer.
The "plastic" plug is knocked into the disposal, so you can remove it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
[...]

air gap would just let the water flow into an overflowing sink!- Hide quoted text -

I think your new analysis is correct.
I've never bothered with an air gap and have never had a problem in
decades
of use. I just do the high loop method, where the dishwasher hose
gets
routed up as high as possible, to the underside of the counter.

stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and pressure regulator valves mm Home Repair 3 June 25th 10 03:40 AM
Washing Machine Water Inlet Valves - Cheap Source of Solonoid Control Valves? JoeyB Home Repair 2 January 4th 07 02:17 PM
Gate valves vs. Ball valves. Graham UK diy 28 August 21st 06 08:11 PM
Valves: eh? [email protected] UK diy 9 February 15th 05 12:37 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM