Posted to alt.home.repair

Default door stops

What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2012 9:53 AM, badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

i went to the fabric store and bought heavy duty sofa material, and
sewed small rectangular bags. i filled them with small gravel and sewed
up the last seam. they're soft, stay in place, can be moved to clean the
floors, match the current furniture, don't snag anything passing by, and
aren't ugly permanent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

If you are talking about keeping the door open and there is a hard surface
under the door, I like kick stops like these...
http://www.handlesets.com/ives-fs452...arance/p536955

If you are talking about something to keep the door from going too far, I
like floor stops like this...
http://www.handlesets.com/ives-fs436...eshold/p536772

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

If asking about a door which opens against an adjacent wall at right
angles to its opening I like the "snap in" ball and socket kind with one
piece mounted on the baseboard and the other on the door.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

If asking about a door which opens against an adjacent wall at right
angles to its opening I like the "snap in" ball and socket kind with
one piece mounted on the baseboard and the other on the door.

Better to mount the apparatus at the top of the door. Less chance of
snagging something and easier to clean around.

If you must mount a door stop on the bottom of the door, my preference is
for the part that sticks out to be mounted on the door itself, rather than a
baseboard. Again, that makes it a smidgen easier to sweep or vacuum around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:06:23 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

If asking about a door which opens against an adjacent wall at right
angles to its opening I like the "snap in" ball and socket kind with one
piece mounted on the baseboard and the other on the door.

Jeff

The magnetic ones are even better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:53:35 AM UTC-7, badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

http://www.dirtgoddess.com/blog/wp-c...1/doorstop.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 3:38*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? *Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

If asking about a door which opens against an adjacent wall at right
angles to its opening I like the "snap in" ball and socket kind with
one piece mounted on the baseboard and the other on the door.

Better to mount the apparatus at the top of the door. Less chance of
snagging something and easier to clean around.

If you must mount a door stop on the bottom of the door, my preference is
for the part that sticks out to be mounted on the door itself, rather than a
baseboard. Again, that makes it a smidgen easier to sweep or vacuum around.

OP, if you're wanting the "door stop" to stop the door from banging
against the wall or other object, I concur with HeyBub..... at the top
of the door or mounted on the door creates the least permanent
obstruction to cleaning.

Alternativley, I like wall mounted "handle stops"...... a bit
industrial looking but never in the way for cleaning.
http://www.handlesets.com/ives-ws406...screws/p537491

Keep the door open, dadiOH's Ives "kick stops" are great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2012 11:53 AM, badgolferman wrote:
What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

If you are talking about keeping the door open I am currently
using a curtain tie back hanging on a hook on the wall. When I want
to keep the door open I just loop it around the edge of the
door and hook it over the door handle.

This of course is based on the fact that the door opens back
against the wall.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

I suppose my initial post wasn't clear enough.

I want to keep the door handle from slamming into a full length wall
hanging. The floor is tile so I don't want to use the permanent stop
that screws into the floor. Currently I am using the type that goes on
the hinge. The springy type didn't do the job when a little kid opened
the door too hard trying to get in the back yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

It took me a while to visualize why a slightly out of plumb door frame
will cause the door to "drift" one way or the other if the hinges are
free enough.

Then I visualized a box with a hinged lid sitting on a table. If the lid
is opened less than 90 degrees and released it will fall back down.

If one end of the box is raised, the lid will still fall back down if
opened, until the box is standing vertically.

Further rotation of the box will cause the lid to swing open from the
almost closed position.

Simple, huh?

Jeff

P.S. I hate that hack of bending a hinge pin to keep an out of plumb
door from drifting. It causes the inertial feeling you get when moving
the door feel wrong. (Grump.)

JW

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2012 12:49 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jun 19, 3:38 pm, wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
[...]

http://www.handlesets.com/ives-ws406...ss-steel-wall-

bumper-with-convex-bumper-1-overall-projection-using-wood-screws/p537491

Keep the door open, dadiOH's Ives "kick stops" are great.

A stop on the baseboard has a solid backing. On the wall you may get a
hole in the wall, particularly with a small diameter stop. Else I agree.

I have always thought hinge mounted stops were working against large
mechanical leverage and were not reliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:53:35 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

What are your favorite kind of door stops? Do you prefer those that
attaches to the hinge, springs, the rigid ones, the door handle ones,
or floor mounted ones?

This would be for a kitchen door that goes to the yard.

It depends what's around it or near it. All have pluses and minuses.
BTW, there are also wall mounted ones too. That said, I prefer the
floor mounted ones... perhaps the spring because it's easy to take off
and on after they are installed. But as I said all have a plus or
minus. Sometimes because of your situation, one may be more
favorable over the other.

Door stops Stormin Mormon Home Repair 34 October 13th 09 01:47 PM
What stops the water? [email protected] Home Repair 25 January 15th 09 07:52 PM
Hinge pin door stops Oren[_2_] Home Repair 7 May 17th 08 11:33 PM
washer spins, stops, spins, stops [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 23rd 06 12:51 AM
Does The Buck REALLY Stops Here? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 67 September 6th 05 06:40 PM