Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hinge pin door stops

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've
never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches
high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin;
there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and
the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that
would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common
door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've
never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches
high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin;
there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and
the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that
would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common
door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

Oren

Can you replace the top screw cap with a bolt having the correct threads
and of sufficient length to make it through the door stop?

Chances are the door stop will block most of the view of the bolt head,
or you could dab a little gold paint on it to make it blend in.

If the hex on the bolt is too large and interferes with installation,
then turn it down on a lathe and saw a screwdriver slot into it.

If you don't have a lathe then just chuck it in an electric drill and
use a file to "turn it down".

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:57:10 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Oren wrote:

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've
never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches
high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin;
there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and
the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that
would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common
door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

Oren

Can you replace the top screw cap with a bolt having the correct threads
and of sufficient length to make it through the door stop?

The caps only have three threads, so I'd be afraid to use a longer
threaded bolt. I might damage the hinge. Thanks.

Chances are the door stop will block most of the view of the bolt head,
or you could dab a little gold paint on it to make it blend in.

If the hex on the bolt is too large and interferes with installation,
then turn it down on a lathe and saw a screwdriver slot into it.

If you don't have a lathe then just chuck it in an electric drill and
use a file to "turn it down".

HTH,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

I imagine that you can replace one of these threaded caps with a bolt or
machine screw which you cut to the appropriate length with a hack saw.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:46:36 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Oren,

I imagine that you can replace one of these threaded caps with a bolt or
machine screw which you cut to the appropriate length with a hack saw.

Dave M.

Tomorrow I will pull one side of the hinges and look at it to see if
I can just drill out the hinge ( threads) for just one door stop.
Then install a traditional pin, cap painted to match the hinge color.

Wish I knew the name for the hinges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Oren wrote:

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've
never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches
high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin;
there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and
the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that
would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common
door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

What you have is a high quality hinge with a removable pin (it should
be slightly knurled on one end) and removable hinge filials. See Van
Dyke Restorers at:

http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/25/

Scroll down to look at the range of filials.

Putting one of the rinky-dink hinge pin door stops on a door with
these type of hinges should be a criminal offence! Actually installing
hinge pin door stops on any door should be outlawed. They place
enormous strain on the hinges, the hinge screws, and even the door
itself.

And, if I can execise my pedagogy, I remember learning in a basic
physics course in college that the "ideal place" for a door stop is on
the wall where it is half way up the height of the door and one third of
the door's width out from the hinges.

That location is at the "center of percussion" of the swinging door and
will stop its motion with theoretically zero reaction on the hinges.

Course, it looks like hell placed there....

Jeff (Ducking.....)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On the same website you can find a large assortment of acceptable
stops, both floor- and wall-mounted. Even Ives (sold by Home Depot)
has some solid stops. Don't forget that you can always mount a
wall-mounted stop on the door itself.

If you really want to control the door and you don't care what it
looks like think about a door closer (available at the usual). That'll
stop the door banging and even allow you to have it close
automatically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:08:03 -0700 (PDT), buffalobill
wrote:

or possibly substitute with a doorknob wall bumper

Not possible for some of these doors. I have used them in the
past.....

Folding Door Hinge Uses vernal888 Woodworking 2 June 8th 06 02:44 AM
Ariston LS 61 Door Hinge Matthew Buckett UK diy 4 January 23rd 06 08:24 PM
upvc door hinge Fray Bentos UK diy 5 June 20th 05 05:09 PM
New hinge for old front door? Richard Faulkner UK diy 3 December 29th 04 04:52 PM
Shower door hinge replacement Bluto Home Repair 1 July 15th 03 03:12 AM