Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plaster of paris

Hello good usenetians,

I bid you peace from the high desert of New Mexico. At lutherhaven, we
have plaster of paris on the walls, and it's not something I have much
experience with.

It's like many such substances that start gooey and dry hard. Can you
paint it? Would you want to?

Could you do a full-on oil-painting on it?

What's your experience with it?

Thx for your comment.
--
Twain
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 10:52*pm, Twain Benson wrote:
Hello good usenetians,

I bid you peace from the high desert of New Mexico. *At lutherhaven, we
have plaster of paris on the walls, and it's not something I have much
experience with.

It's like many such substances that start gooey and dry hard. *Can you
paint it? *Would you want to?

Could you do a full-on oil-painting on it?

What's your experience with it?

Thx for your comment.
--
Twain

Personally, I don't like plaster of paris because it sets up HARD,
difficult to sand and work with, however, it is used in churches for
statuary. My mother used to be an artist and repaired/repainted MANY
damaged statuary. She would 'add' plaster of paris where something had
been seriously broken off to smooth the surfaces, then would paint
with OIL based paints, like the oil paint used on canvas. I remember
once something about a reaction she had to peanut oil bases in some of
the colors.

Paint a statue? she did not simply color the statue. She would enhance
its look by darkening some areas and lightening protroduing areas,
thus giving the impression of increased depth and drama. I remember
her shifting the colors down into darkened areas and 'washing' out the
colors on highlighted areas. Took her months to do a little 3 foot
statue. I still have not found the paint she used for gilt. The gold
looked real and the closest I've found has been to use gold leaf, and
that's usually simulated gold leaf today.

I prefer to work on joint compaound. It stays workable.But, has its
limitations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2012 1:52 AM, Twain Benson wrote:
Hello good usenetians,

I bid you peace from the high desert of New Mexico. At lutherhaven, we
have plaster of paris on the walls, and it's not something I have much
experience with.

It's like many such substances that start gooey and dry hard. Can you
paint it? Would you want to?

Could you do a full-on oil-painting on it?

What's your experience with it?

Thx for your comment.

Google "venetian plaster" and "fresco"....v.p. has been very popular,
with quicky products sold at home stores. Old version involves
finishing off with wax. Fresco is painting on wet plaster, which would
not work with oil paint. You would need a primer (after adequate
curing) in order to put oil paint on plaster....never done any of these.
I painted a plaster lamp base (or two or three) years and years
ago...start with a primer of diluted Elmer's glue and paint with
acryllic paints. E.G. is made of same stuff...can't recall the chemical
name...used in fine art to glue canvas to boards for oil paintings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 06:42:11 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Jun 11, 10:52Â*pm, Twain Benson wrote:
Hello good usenetians,

I bid you peace from the high desert of New Mexico. Â*At lutherhaven, we
have plaster of paris on the walls, and it's not something I have much
experience with.

It's like many such substances that start gooey and dry hard. Â*Can you
paint it? Â*Would you want to?

[...]

A 50-50 mix of joint compound or PolyFilla and Plaster of Paris
works pretty good for patching old plaster. Plaster of paris sets FAST
and heats

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:
Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.

If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 4:12*pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. *Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.

If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? *For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
leery of that combination:
1. inside home, sprayed cleaner on wall to watch latex paint
practically 'slide' off! and fold down along surface
2. inside garage, spayed water on concrete, then to clean 'splatters'
off wall accidently hit wall too strong and removed the latex off the
joint compound - looked like cottage cheese finish afterwards.little
broken pieces of latex paint everywhere.
Paint should adhere better than that.
Joint compound - american made, paint Dunn-Edwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.

If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
leery of that combination:
1. inside home, sprayed cleaner on wall to watch latex paint
practically 'slide' off! and fold down along surface
2. inside garage, spayed water on concrete, then to clean 'splatters'
off wall accidently hit wall too strong and removed the latex off the
joint compound - looked like cottage cheese finish afterwards.little
broken pieces of latex paint everywhere.
Paint should adhere better than that.
Joint compound - american made, paint Dunn-Edwards.

Paint adheres to primer, primer adheres to walls. Neither paint nor
primer adhere to sanding dust. (Well, it does, but the dust doesn't
adhere to the wall.) Are you sure the walls were dust free when
primed/painted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 9:49*am, Mike Paulsen wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. *Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? *For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
leery of that combination:
1. inside home, sprayed cleaner on wall to watch latex paint
practically 'slide' off! and fold down along surface
2. inside garage, spayed water on concrete, then to clean 'splatters'
off wall accidently hit wall too strong and removed the latex off the
joint compound - looked like cottage cheese finish afterwards.little
broken pieces of latex paint everywhere.
Paint should adhere better than that.
Joint compound - american made, paint Dunn-Edwards.

Paint adheres to primer, primer adheres to walls. Neither paint nor
primer adhere to sanding dust. (Well, it does, but the dust doesn't
adhere to the wall.) Are you sure the walls were dust free when
primed/painted?

Absolutely a possibility.

What is a good way to remove that fine layer of dust on drywall before
painting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. *Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? *For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
leery of that combination:
1. inside home, sprayed cleaner on wall to watch latex paint
practically 'slide' off! and fold down along surface
2. inside garage, spayed water on concrete, then to clean 'splatters'
off wall accidently hit wall too strong and removed the latex off the
joint compound - looked like cottage cheese finish afterwards.little
broken pieces of latex paint everywhere.
Paint should adhere better than that.
Joint compound - american made, paint Dunn-Edwards.

Paint adheres to primer, primer adheres to walls. Neither paint nor
primer adhere to sanding dust. (Well, it does, but the dust doesn't
adhere to the wall.) Are you sure the walls were dust free when
primed/painted?

Absolutely a possibility.

What is a good way to remove that fine layer of dust on drywall before
painting?

Vacuum cleaner then a damp sponge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. *Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? *For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
[...]

As a test, I did that. let dry for a few days and simply 'brush'
against the surface and your clothes have dusty white streaks asthough
you NEVER cleaned it! Just has something to do with that sanding.
Maybe more water next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 08:24:40 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. *Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound? *For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
[...]

Is the paint chalking? If so, paint over it. Not the ideal thing but there
isn't much else that can be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You
paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on
god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only
work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound?
For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
[...]

After building our new house a few years ago, the builder told me that the
"wipedown" process consisted of a shop vac for the major dust and other
leftovers including nails and bits of wire, then a damp cloth to get most of
the dust and, finally, a going over with a tack cloth. I think the tack
cloth is sticky and specially designed for getting rid of residual dust.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:22:46 -0400, "Tomsic" wrote:

After building our new house a few years ago, the builder told me that the
"wipedown" process consisted of a shop vac for the major dust and other
leftovers including nails and bits of wire, then a damp cloth to get most of
the dust and, finally, a going over with a tack cloth. I think the tack
cloth is sticky and specially designed for getting rid of residual dust.

Tomsic

Tack cloth will work. Used in automotive paint shops, wood working
and other task needing fine dust removal.

Good idea...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You
paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on
god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only
work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound?
For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
[...]

YES! costly but that would get that last bit of pesky dust off. I
know it is possible to paint over the joint compound because many
places it holds. but it's like each member of the crew didn't do the
process the same, and ....

Pin Routing and Plaster of Paris John Woodworking 4 September 8th 10 05:13 PM
OT - Comparing Paris J T Woodworking 18 February 6th 08 02:40 PM
Plaster of Paris slow cure. PVR Home Repair 3 September 2nd 06 05:46 AM
Paris Hilton Screwing! zaax UK diy 14 October 17th 05 11:45 AM
How to cast precious two part plaster of paris mold of holding hands? m_p_v_13 Metalworking 2 June 7th 05 12:28 PM