Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_3_] Tomsic[_3_] is offline

Default plaster of paris

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
On Jun 14, 4:32 pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

wrote:
On Jun 14, 9:49 am, Mike Paulsen wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On Jun 12, 4:12 pm, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
On 06/12/2012 06:18 AM, deadgoose wrote:

Look up the Sistine Chapel, perhaps. Most of the wall mural stuff I
have seen uses acrylic paints. Paint/prime first, however. You
paint
plaster walls with latex paint. Acrylic artist's paints are
essentially the same stuff, but with more pigment.
If you're gonna put in on flat and go over with it latex, why on
god's
green earth not go lightweight joint compound?

Are there more exotic paints and finishes that would really only
work on
plaster of paris as opposed to ordinary drywall and joint compound?
For
example, how would acrylic look on ordinary walls?
--
Cal

From MULTIPLE bad experiences of latex over joint compound, I'd be
leery of that combination:
1. inside home, sprayed cleaner on wall to watch latex paint
practically 'slide' off! and fold down along surface
2. inside garage, spayed water on concrete, then to clean 'splatters'
off wall accidently hit wall too strong and removed the latex off the
joint compound - looked like cottage cheese finish afterwards.little
broken pieces of latex paint everywhere.
Paint should adhere better than that.
Joint compound - american made, paint Dunn-Edwards.

Paint adheres to primer, primer adheres to walls. Neither paint nor
primer adhere to sanding dust. (Well, it does, but the dust doesn't
adhere to the wall.) Are you sure the walls were dust free when
primed/painted?

Absolutely a possibility.

What is a good way to remove that fine layer of dust on drywall before
painting?

Vacuum cleaner then a damp sponge.

As a test, I did that. let dry for a few days and simply 'brush'
against the surface and your clothes have dusty white streaks asthough
you NEVER cleaned it! Just has something to do with that sanding.
Maybe more water next time.

After building our new house a few years ago, the builder told me that the
"wipedown" process consisted of a shop vac for the major dust and other
leftovers including nails and bits of wire, then a damp cloth to get most of
the dust and, finally, a going over with a tack cloth. I think the tack
cloth is sticky and specially designed for getting rid of residual dust.

Tomsic