Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior paints

Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 5, 4:38*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? *Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

Someone 'liking' a paint doesn't seem like good way to judge
quality.

All you need to know abut paints, indoor and outdoor, have been
covered for many years by Consumer Reports. If you can't make it to a
library, you can subscribe to the 'Reports' online.
These days, the iPad/iPhone/ Facebook/Twitter generation seems to
assume that there is no other source of information in existence.
Surprisingly, libraries still exist, and there are helpful people
there to guide you to the information you need. Our local library
staff has even answered phone inquiries for residents out in the
boonies.
The opinions of a few people in a Newsgroup ought not be discounted,
but must have less credence than published and verifiable laboratory
tests.

Joie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gomba" wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

I like the paints with built in primer. I don't know what that means, but
seems to cover better. I'm doing a one coat job currently.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jun 5, 4:38 pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which
brand do you like best? Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would
like something washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

Someone 'liking' a paint doesn't seem like good way to judge
quality.

Thanks for sharing your inexperience with paints.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 4:38*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? *Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

We built our own place starting about 4 years ago and it has been a
part-time project of love until this spring. We did most of the
upstairs interior, the garage and basement ceiling paint with Sherwin
Williams products which were fine. Last spring we finished the
basement and decided to try Home Depot Behr products. We were very
pleased with the application and cover of Behr and would not go back
to the previous product.

This is amplified by the fact that we used Sherwin Williams deck stain
on our deck less than 2 years ago and it is flaking off.

Happy with Behr.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? Looking @ wall paints& trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

My opinions and might now account for much, but they are based on what I
worked with...

First off, usually, Eggshell is for walls. Flat is for ceilings and
semi-gloss if for trim or doors. If you put semi-gloss on your walls
they'll look like plastic.

I prefer Benjamin Moore Natura for walls that I want to dry really quick
and no smell. We like how long Benny Moore natura paint stays tinted in
the can in case we have repairs, and it's really easy to clean up.
However Natura dries quick, usually within 15 seconds so you need to be
accurate with your rollers in that time.

For rich or cozy colours I Like Benijimin Moore Regal and
CIL/Dulux/Glidden (all the same company). I really like
CIL/Dulux/Glidden for velvety off white ceiling and they have a really
great trim paint called Smart3 that the dogs can't even chip. I find
CIL/Dulux/Glidden not to cover walls well, and take far too long to cure
and the colour selection is poor but for trims and ceilings I like them
and they are a great price especially for stucco ceilings but they make
thick paints and can be tough to work with.

I'm very disappointing with this new brand called C2. I helped a friend
paint bedrooms with C2 and they were complaining 3 months later about
the scuff marks, and how dust will "stain" the paint. We checked the
can and it did say eggshell but it certainly acted like a matte paint.
However C2 have some really vivid colour selection.

I found Behr difficult to work with, even more than CIL/Dulux/Glidden,
but they were darker colours and maybe that's the reason why. Just
seems that rollers stroke always showed through with that brand. Again
this was at somebody elese's house with me helping out. He used similar
microfibre roolers that I normally use.

and that's my two measly cents...

Posted to alt.home.repair

you like best? Â*Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
[...]

The "premium " line from just about any manufacturer will be a good
paint. The low end from any manufacturer will range anywhere from
borderline to crap.

Basically can't go wrong with Sherwin Williams or Benjamine Moore
midline to premium products.

If you are in Canada Beauty-Tone from Home Hardware is an excellent
paint at a very good price too. (They own their own paint factory - it
is not "farmed out")
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are in Canada Beauty-Tone from Home Hardware is an excellent
paint at a very good price too. (They own their own paint factory - it
is not "farmed out")

I'm going to give a thumbs up to Beauti-tone's primer. I found it was
sticking better to drywall mud and taping better than Kilz whihc is waht
we normally use as a primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 17:38:55 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

I'm no painter but my dad was a builder many years ago and then he
told me Benjamin Moore, Pittsburgh and I think one other I don't
recall right now. I can tell you I've heard good things about
Sherwinn Williams but being how I was raised I like Benjamin Moore and
I'll tell you why. I used their exterior paint (top of the line) on
my own house and it's about 11 years old now. Last year a neighbor
around the block came around and asked about my new roof job and
complimented me on my new paint job. I told him it wasn't new and he
was amazed it was 10 yrs old then (Houston, Tx). I have also used BM
inside a rental house last year but it's too new to comment upon. Of
course this is not scientific and based on top of the line paint with
my experience. I can't really tell you that anything else is better
or worst but that I'm partial to BM because of what I was told when I
was young and my own house. I read consumer reports about a year ago
or so and they seemed to have a good article on which paints were best
rated. I'm sure eopinions or the like will have some good info on
which paints are most liked by others too. I think most of the
replies you got here so far, seem legit to me but keep in mind I'm not
a painter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:29*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Jun 5, 4:38 pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which
brand do you like best? Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would
like something washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

Someone 'liking' a paint doesn't seem like *good way to judge
quality.

Thanks for sharing your inexperience with paints.

I recently used Benjamin Moore Regal and it was the
best paint I've used. But then I haven't painted in maybe
10 years, so maybe other paints are up there now too.
I had no back spatter when doing the ceilings. Didn't
have even a spec on my glasses. Two coats on the
walls and ceilings and it looks super.

I would usually not recommend semi-gloss for walls.
Unless they really need to be washed. Otherwise the
gloss will show wall imperfections that flat would not.
I'd go with one step up in gloss from flat for walls,
eg satin. It doesn't have that dry, chalk feel that flat
can have and is more washable, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? Looking @ wall paints& trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

I am limited in favorite brands because I settled long ago on Benjamin
Moore, with more recent experience using Sherwin Williams for exterior.
Since moving away from solvents, formulations have changed a lot from
what they were in the old days and that has made paints generally less
durable and less stain resistant. For interiors, I use semi-gloss alkyd
for all doors and trim and for walls in kitchen and bath. I would not
use latex for cabinets, doors or trim because it is very difficult to
sand and refinish. Latex semi also stains more easily from inks,
lipstick, etc. I don't care for semi on walls in other rooms unless it
is a room that will get grubby fingerprints and toys bashing around.
Prep is vitally important, and the better the prep, the better the paint
job will look and last. But quality brushes and rollers and care for
them properly; with proper care, they last forever. I would avoid gloss
enamels because they are more difficult to apply and show flaws more
easily. Follow label instructions!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:
[...]

+1

You can come paint in my house anytime!

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2012 3:04 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Norminn wrote:
On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:
[...]

Where? What's it pay? )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Norminn wrote:
On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:
[...]

What surprises me is that the "best" paint seems to change fairly frequently
based upon what I see from Consumer Reports testing. I used to use Sears
interior paints exclusively, then tried some others including Sherwin
Williams and then started paying attention to CU's recommendations. Their
top ratings will sometimes change even with color or gloss characteristics,
but they do seem to be reliable.

You didn't ask, but I've been so pleased with Sherwin Williams "Duration"
for exterior paint that I have to add it as a favorite. I particularly like
the way the color blends with the existing color during a touch-up.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 11:18*am, Bill wrote:
In article , says...

Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? *Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Walk into rooms in various houses or businesses and tell me what brand
of paint was used to paint that room. Was it Walmart paint or an
expensive name brand paint?

I can't tell the difference *after* it is painted.

The difference also depends on what it looks like
10 years later, what the environment was like, etc.
Presumably better paint could hold up to cleaning,
removing spashes, etc better than a cheaper one.
It's also color dependent. The deepest colors are
where you may see a difference between brands.
If it's just off white, I agree, those probably tend to
be unnoticeable. Someone probably has actual
blind evaluations.

I do know that I recently used Benjamin Moore Regal
and it was by far the best paint I've ever used. Both
in terms of how it went on and the results. I've never
seen a ceiling look more perfect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 5:38*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? *Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Thanks

Our current favorite is sherwin williams. They own duron now as
well. A lot of contractors use duron.

Consider a "satin" which is less that a semi-gloss but more than a
flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have had very good success with Behr paint from Home Depot.

Unfortunately home Depot has installed beeping video monitors all thru
my local stores for security purposes.

they are in the aisles with my picture beeping with red graphics YOU
ARE BEING RECORDED.

Now I dont mind cameras all all. but I am 55 and look 65 AND DONT
WANT TO BE REMINDED OF THAT!!!

So I no longer buy anythinhg frohome depot. I now go to lowes......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 12:20*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 08:18:01 -0700, Bill wrote:
In article , says...

Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do
you like best? *Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something
washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).

Walk into rooms in various houses or businesses and tell me what brand
of paint was used to paint that room. Was it Walmart paint or an
expensive name brand paint?

I can't tell the difference *after* it is painted.

There are many ways to tell cheap paint from the good stuff. *How well does it
wash? *Does water wet the surface or sit on top. *How easily does it scuff?
There is a big difference between "pure" latex paint and paint that has
fillers (clay). *Then there are differences you can't see once it dries.. Well,
you can if there are paint splatters all over the place. *;-)

That's what struck me about the Benjamin Moore Regal
I recently used. I haven't painted a ceiling in decades.
So, maybe most paints have improved a lot. But this is
the first paint I used where I didn't have a single spatter
from the roller. I did the ceilings in 3 rooms, wearing
glasses, and I did not have a single spot on my glasses.
It's ability to cover and leave a perfect finish was also
superior to any paint I've used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 05:58:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

That's what struck me about the Benjamin Moore Regal
I recently used. I haven't painted a ceiling in decades.
So, maybe most paints have improved a lot. But this is
the first paint I used where I didn't have a single spatter
from the roller. I did the ceilings in 3 rooms, wearing
glasses, and I did not have a single spot on my glasses.
It's ability to cover and leave a perfect finish was also
superior to any paint I've used.

My wife and I recently redid my mil's house for resale. We used
Benjamin Moore Regal all the way. While thick applying, the results
were terrific. We put the house on the market and 24 hours later we
accepted a bid for 5% over our asking price.

I use big box paints at my home but from now on for anything serious
I'm going to use BM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2012 8:58 AM, wrote:
On Jun 9, 12:20 am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 08:18:01 -0700, wrote:
In , says...

[...]

If there was a paint museum, Regal would have a place. Long before the
washing or "how many coats", there is a huge difference in how the paint
goes on. When I used Sherwin Williams exterior paint for window trim,
it was just amazing...brushing, leveling...made me feel like an artiste )
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/9/2012 7:58 AM, wrote:

That's what struck me about the Benjamin Moore Regal
I recently used. I haven't painted a ceiling in decades.
So, maybe most paints have improved a lot. But this is
the first paint I used where I didn't have a single spatter
from the roller. I did the ceilings in 3 rooms, wearing
glasses, and I did not have a single spot on my glasses.
It's ability to cover and leave a perfect finish was also
superior to any paint I've used.

If you've previously tried to just use a wall paint on ceiling, it's no
wonder you're pleasantly surprised w/ a thicker paint.

There's a reason they make specific formulations for ceilings...

BM is pretty much like most all the rest--they have various quality
levels to meet various price points and how well they work is mostly
dependent on that price point.

They don't all go to the "cheapest-possible" in all markets,
though--you'll find fewer of the really inexpensive things at the
S-W/B-M/Dutch Boy/whichever distribution center than you will at the
Ace/Wal Mart/BORG simply because they covering different market segments
in large part. The latter get the whatever's the least cost on the
shelf while they take the rest is a general rule (that doesn't hold for
every customer but is a trend).

At a moderate-price point, I've always been very well satisfied w/ the
better of the Glidden products. We're in a very small market and
there's only the S-W store as a dedicated outlet here and when was doing
the barn they and the alternatives (DoIt Best/Ace/etc.) weren't
interested in either (a) getting in large quantities special w/o extra
charges or (b) significant discounts for volume. So, ended up going the
60+ mi to the Orange BORG and used the Behr premium oil-primer/latex
finish and was/have been quite pleased w/ it as well. Was first time to
have used Behr but I'd not hesitate again based on experience w/ it,
some 80 gal primer and 50 of finish coat later.

That was exterior but I'd take the chance on interior as well based on
that experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior paints (What successful BM!)

I'm glad that worked out, so well. As you were saying, you applied thick BM
all over the inside of the house. How did you dry your BM? Did you have to
use big fans, to dry your BM faster? What color BM did you use? Was it just
the usual color like everyone else's? I'm glad the buyer liked having BM all
over the walls. Did the buyer mention your beautiful colored BM, that was on
so thick? Did you use all the BM, maybe going over some of the earlier BM,
until the can of BM was empty? Or, did you put the lid on and leave the
thick, unused BM for the next people to enjoy?

I'm going to remember, only BM when I paint my place. Thanks for the field
report.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

My wife and I recently redid my mil's house for resale. We used
Benjamin Moore Regal all the way. While thick applying, the results
were terrific. We put the house on the market and 24 hours later we
accepted a bid for 5% over our asking price.

I use big box paints at my home but from now on for anything serious
I'm going to use BM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, there's cheap BM, and moderate, and expensive? I'd guess the expensive
BM goes on thicker, and looks better? As with most things. If you really
want a good job, you need to pay more for your top of the line BM.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dpb" wrote in message ...

If you've previously tried to just use a wall paint on ceiling, it's no
wonder you're pleasantly surprised w/ a thicker paint.

There's a reason they make specific formulations for ceilings...

BM is pretty much like most all the rest--they have various quality
levels to meet various price points and how well they work is mostly
dependent on that price point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 05:58:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 9, 12:20*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Yep. I've been using BMoore for a couple of decades. It's well worth the
extra money just in ease of application. It takes me a few hours to go
through a gallon of paint. The extra $5 or $10 is cheap. Every time I try a
different brand I kick myself (which I'll probably do again tomorrow - going
to give the Behr self-priming a try in the garage).
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/9/2012 9:34 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, there's cheap BM, and moderate, and expensive? I'd guess the expensive
BM goes on thicker, and looks better? As with most things. If you really
want a good job, you need to pay more for your top of the line BM.

Well, for interior water-cleanup only excluding ceiling, bath and
kitchen, tint-base and floor-specific products there are 16 interior
paint product listings for B-M. This doesn't include the myriad of
finishes, etc., etc., within each product line.

So, yes, they have a full range of products to cover the market and
price points. As with all manufacturers, just because it says a
particular brand on the label doesn't mean a whole lot as far as what
the contents are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 1:14*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 10:59:33 -0400, diy savant wrote:
On 6/9/2012 9:23 AM, wrote:

were terrific. *We put the house on the market and 24 hours later we
accepted a bid for 5% over our asking price.

If you sell a house within 24 hrs of listing, you had it severely
under-priced. You prolly cheated yourself out of $20,000 or more.

Maybe not. *Two previous homes (rentals) I had doubled in price. 18
months and 24 months, respectively. *Multiple offers within hours of
listing. One was a cash offer. Closed both in 30 days upon listing
them.

Multiple offers from buyers was very competitive. *I would not expect
that in today's market, though.

The advantage of multiple offers is you can pick and choose who to
sell too.

It's obviously a statistical distribution situation. With houses
listed
at a fair price there is an average time it takes to sell and a
distribution. A few of those will sell very fast, a few will take a
long time. Just because someone happens to have one that sold
in a day doesn't necessarily mean it's priced too low. It could be
just the right buyer came buy the first day.

In many cases it's better to have the house fairly priced from the
start, rather than start out high, follow the market down and
never sell it. A local spec builder has been doing that for years.
He prices his new houses too high, then after a year
he lowers it 10%. He's been doing that for 4 or 5 years now.
Problem is, he's always behind the market. Had he priced it
20% lower in the beginning, the house would have sold and
he would have gotten more money than he's asking for it
right now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 10:18*am, dpb wrote:
On 6/9/2012 7:58 AM, wrote:

That's what struck me about the Benjamin Moore Regal
I recently used. *I haven't painted a ceiling in decades.
So, maybe most paints have improved a lot. *But this is
the first paint I used where I didn't have a single spatter
from the roller. *I did the ceilings in 3 rooms, wearing
glasses, and I did not have a single spot on my glasses.
It's ability to cover and leave a perfect finish was also
superior to any paint I've used.

If you've previously tried to just use a wall paint on ceiling, it's no
wonder you're pleasantly surprised w/ a thicker paint. *

I've always used ceiling paint for ceilings. And if you look at
Benjamin Moore Regal, I didn't see any difference in the
thickness of their wall paint versus the ceiling paint. Both are
thick, so thick I had to think them down slightly. No back
spatter from either.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 06:24:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:18*am, dpb wrote:
On 6/9/2012 7:58 AM, wrote:

That's what struck me about the Benjamin Moore Regal
I recently used. *I haven't painted a ceiling in decades.
So, maybe most paints have improved a lot. *But this is
the first paint I used where I didn't have a single spatter
from the roller. *I did the ceilings in 3 rooms, wearing
glasses, and I did not have a single spot on my glasses.
It's ability to cover and leave a perfect finish was also
superior to any paint I've used.

If you've previously tried to just use a wall paint on ceiling, it's no
wonder you're pleasantly surprised w/ a thicker paint. *

I've always used ceiling paint for ceilings. And if you look at
Benjamin Moore Regal, I didn't see any difference in the
thickness of their wall paint versus the ceiling paint. Both are
thick, so thick I had to think them down slightly. No back
spatter from either.

Ceiling paint (at least some) has a slight tint that goes away when dry. It
makes it easier to paint white-on-white. It also tends to be a starker white
("super white") than wall paint.

Dulux interior paints Gogs UK diy 16 June 1st 07 03:58 PM
Low VOC paints Doki UK diy 3 August 17th 06 09:09 PM
paints Steve B Metalworking 2 February 23rd 06 03:12 PM
PJ Paints Angela UK diy 1 December 22nd 03 04:59 PM