Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backer rod source/question

We just completed a screened-in deck and we need to fill
between the decking to stop insects from coming in.

The decking is a TREX-style. The whole deck is 16x20 and there is a
concrete pad under 16x16 that is enclosed, insulated, and "roofed"
to shed water. The other 16x4 area is where my wife has some of her
flowers. I keep lawn mowers and "stuff" and my gas grill for winter
storage in the enclosed area.

It was suggested we use fiberglass screening, but it poses a
cleaning problem if any non-liquid is spilled. If the screening is
attached at the bottom of the joists, then there will be a large
area to collect debris. If we attach the screening to the bottom of
the deck boards, the clean up will have to be done with a vacuum
cleaner, which is a pain.

Another suggestion is to use backing rod. Push it into the spaces
between the deck boards. If a spill occurs, just pull it up, sweep
and replace it.

We prefer the backer rod, but I can only find it in 1/2", 5/8" and
3/4" diameters. I would like to use 3/8", but don't know if it is
made or not.

Does anyone know if that size is made, and a source for it?

Thanks
John Carter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 8:40*pm, J Carter wrote:
[...]

http://bit.ly/KpdVZl
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Carter wrote:

We prefer the backer rod, but I can only find it in 1/2", 5/8" and
3/4" diameters. I would like to use 3/8", but don't know if it is
made or not.

Does anyone know if that size is made, and a source for it?

It compresses, use the next size larger than the width of the area to fill.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 May 2012 03:40:09 GMT, J Carter wrote:

We prefer the backer rod, but I can only find it in 1/2", 5/8" and
3/4" diameters. I would like to use 3/8", but don't know if it is
made or not.

Does anyone know if that size is made, and a source for it?

Thanks
John Carter

Why not just put some loose linoleum over it, or cover it with 1/4"
plywood. You only need 2 sheets. Put in a few screws and you're done.
If it's gonna get water on it, use treated plywood. Or how about
indoor-outdoor carpeting....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears has 1/4" backer rod (you have to order it, as it is not on the
stores' shelves, here, anyway), so I would imagine 3/8" is available.
I know this because, recently, I ordered 1/4" rod. *I just happen to
have the invoice handy, here, and the part number is EF14C, item
description - 1/4" closed cell Backer Rod, 100 ft roll, quantity 2,
for a total of $20.90 plus tax and shipping. Maybe the 3/8" part
number is EF38C... do a Sears search.

Another alternative is to use 3/8" jute rope as a chinking medium.
You can stain the rope, with a dye stain (not an oil stain), to match
your color, dip/soak it in melted/hot wax, to make it water proof,
then insert the rope into the gaps. I would think waxed rope would
last longer than typical backer rod and be more readily replaceable
with itself, if ever pulled out. Pulling out "old" backer rod would
likely damage the rod, so you'd have to replace with a new rod.

Sonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM517011901P
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2012 11:40 PM, J Carter wrote:
[...]

That's a new issue ) Why not get some fiberglass screen....cut
strips, roll them into the size you need, secure roll with a dab of
adhesive and use it like you plan to use the backer rod? Easy to insert
and remove, low cost. This is just for the 16x4 area, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 11:40*pm, J Carter wrote:
[...]

Grainger carries backer rod in 3/8". Your local contractor supply
houses might also carry it.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BAT...RF9?Pid=search

But, I gotta ask...was this screened-in deck built to be good looking?

If so, I can't imagine going through the work and expense to build a
good looking living/hang out space and then shoving backer rod in
between each deck board. I'll admit that I've never seen it done, but
it just doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me.

Best of luck to you, in any case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2012 2:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 14, 11:40 pm, J wrote:
[...]

Contact any commercial caulk supplier. Backer rod is quite common at
1/4" , 3/8, 1/2, etc. 1/4" is normally used for pavement saw kerfs.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BAT...-Rod-2RRF9?Pid...

But, I gotta ask...was this screened-in deck built to be good looking?

If so, I can't imagine going through the work and expense to build a
good looking living/hang out space and then shoving backer rod in
between each deck board. I'll admit that I've never seen it done, but
it just doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me.

Best of luck to you, in any case.

Contact any commercial caulk supplier. *Backer rod is quite common at
1/4" , 3/8, 1/2, etc. *1/4" is normally used for pavement saw kerfs.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven- Hide quoted text -

Uh...Thanks for the response, but I already basically told the OP what
you just told me.

"Your local contractor supply houses might also carry it."