Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Backer rod source/question

On May 14, 8:40*pm, J Carter wrote:
We just completed a screened-in deck and we need to fill
between the decking to stop insects from coming in.

The decking is a TREX-style. *The whole deck is 16x20 and there is a
concrete pad under 16x16 that is enclosed, insulated, and *"roofed"
to shed water. *The other 16x4 area is where my wife has some of her
flowers. *I keep lawn mowers and "stuff" *and my gas grill for winter
storage in the enclosed area.

It was suggested we use fiberglass screening, but it poses a
cleaning problem if any non-liquid is spilled. *If the screening is
attached at the bottom of the joists, then there will be a large
area to collect debris. *If we attach the screening to the bottom of
the deck boards, the clean up will have to be done with a vacuum
cleaner, which is a pain.

Another suggestion is to use backing rod. *Push it into the spaces
between the deck boards. *If a spill occurs, just pull it up, sweep
and replace it.

We prefer the backer rod, but I can only find it in 1/2", 5/8" and
3/4" diameters. *I would like to use 3/8", but don't know if it is
made or not.

Does anyone know if that size is made, and a source for it?

Thanks
John Carter

http://bit.ly/KpdVZl