Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

Default Help bfore the wife comes home! (What makes a kettle black?)

Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot
http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken?
What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 5/12/2012 6:05 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot
http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken?
What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?

No solvent will work. Most likely oxide layers like you get when you
blue a firearm. I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Keefer wrote:
Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot
http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken?
What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?

I would want to know what the pot material is.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sat, 12 May 2012 22:05:16 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot
http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken?
What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?

Sorry, but you are screwed. Only thing that works is abrasives and
lots of scrubbing. You may want to try one of those green scrubbie
things from 3M with a sponge on one side. If that does not work well,
go right to the steel wool or SOS pads.

Green Works dish detergent work well too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid & 12% pool bleach so I'm
trying both as we speak!

http://www.picupine.com/e906acax

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Keefer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid & 12% pool bleach so I'm
trying both as we speak!

http://www.picupine.com/e906acax

The only thing I would try is tarn-x , but not for brass.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 5/12/2012 7:26 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid& 12% pool bleach so I'm
trying both as we speak!

http://www.picupine.com/e906acax

Good luck but I would not be doing this indoors with all the fumes
you're going to get.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 5/12/2012 7:26 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid& 12% pool bleach so I'm
trying both as we speak!

http://www.picupine.com/e906acax

It is burnt on grease. Don't use acid. Bleach won't work. Fantastic
and a 3M scrubber should do the job...is the kettle copper?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 05/12/2012 08:13 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 5/12/2012 7:26 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid& 12% pool bleach so I'm
trying both as we speak!

http://www.picupine.com/e906acax

It is burnt on grease. Don't use acid. Bleach won't work. Fantastic and
a 3M scrubber should do the job...is the kettle copper?

I'm actually thinking perhaps start with the finest wet/dry paper you
can find (e.g. 800-1000 grit) then polish on a wheel with rubbing
compound, then finish with Eagle One wadding polish.

An ex of mine had some nice stainless cookware, lost a tin of wadding
polish to that... makes the cookware really shine

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:56:17 -0400, Frank wrote:

Good luck but I would not be doing this indoors with all the fumes
you're going to get.

The chlorine fumes weren't bad but the HCl fumes made me open all windows
and move outside!

The acid seems to have cleaned up the white stuff on the inside - while
the chlorine appears to be slowly dissolving whatever it is that's black
and brown on the outside.
http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:09:53 +0000, gregz wrote:

I would want to know what the pot material is.

I'm going to guess stainless steel ... but get this.

The BOTTOM of the heavy bottomed pot seems to have spherical globules of
what looks like lead which may have extruded as I overheated the pot.
http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1

In addition, during the bleaching and acid washing a gray gel like
substance was bubbling out of the entire crack at the bottom of the pot
where the heavy part is ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:21:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may want to try one of those green scrubbie things from 3M with a
sponge on one side.

Actually I had used them BEFORE posting that picture!

The fact they did nothing was what prompted me to ask you guys.

I 'think' the heavy dose of chlorine is helping - although I got a drop
in my left eye when I dunked the pot in a bucket and the bubbles from the
spout shot up straight into my face.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sat, 12 May 2012 20:13:00 -0400, Norminn wrote:

is the kettle copper?

I think it's stainless steel with a copper bottom with lead inside
because the lead seems to have bubbled out!

http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:37:04 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

The wife came home!

I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on
the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!
http://www.picupine.com/fbb50abx

Whew!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:34:13 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:09:53 +0000, gregz wrote:

I would want to know what the pot material is.

I'm going to guess stainless steel ... but get this.

The BOTTOM of the heavy bottomed pot seems to have spherical globules of
what looks like lead which may have extruded as I overheated the pot.
http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1

In addition, during the bleaching and acid washing a gray gel like
substance was bubbling out of the entire crack at the bottom of the pot
where the heavy part is ...

You are so screwed, Bill. Does she have an emotional attatchment to
that kettle? I suspect the "lead" is solder that was used to hold the
heavy base to the lighter pot material. Own up to what you did and
offer to buy her a new kettle.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On May 12, 5:05*pm, Bill Keefer wrote:
Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot
*http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken?
What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?

Try easy-off oven cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:38:19 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2012 20:13:00 -0400, Norminn wrote:

is the kettle copper?

I think it's stainless steel with a copper bottom with lead inside
because the lead seems to have bubbled out!

http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1

If that's true, I wouldn't take a chance using this pot even if you
get it cleaned. Can you just buy another pot similar to this one?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 01:28:26 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:37:04 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

The wife came home!

I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on
the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!
http://www.picupine.com/fbb50abx

Whew!

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled
with ink.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:37:04 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

The wife came home!

I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on
the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!
http://www.picupine.com/fbb50abx

Whew!

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled
with ink.

No divorce, but why Bill thinks I don't read ahr every night, I don't
understand.

Mrs. Keeler
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

Hmm. Now, to develop a cover story. "I was just cleaning it.... " This
wonderful tip I read on the computer..... didnt' turn out quite right,
dear?"

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bill Keefer" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:37:04 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

The wife came home!

I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on
the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!
http://www.picupine.com/fbb50abx

Whew!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

Best post of the year.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled
with ink.

No divorce, but why Bill thinks I don't read ahr every night, I don't
understand.

Mrs. Keeler

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

In article ,
Bill Keefer wrote:

Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot
http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken?
What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?

Thank you for a very entertaining thread. Why is this pot not merely a
thing pot that can be easily replaced. In other words, it should be a
lot easier thing to replace than a child asphyxiated by chlorine.

As for the picture, it was useless. With my lousy eyes I could not tell
anything useful about it.

I do remember a product called Oakite. It seemed to be the best for
aluminum pots. Its main ingredient was oxalic acid. Nevertheless, it
needed heavy application of elbow grease.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sat, 12 May 2012 21:32:44 -0400, clare wrote:

I suspect the "lead" is solder that was used to hold the heavy base to
the lighter pot material. Own up to what you did and offer to buy her a
new kettle.

Luckily, I got away with it using the pool chlorine.

The kettle isn't as nice as it was, but it's not noticeably burned either.
http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

She noticed it - but she just yelled at me for trying to clean it.

I said I was trying to clean the scale out of the inside (which I did),
so, she appreciated the attempt.

It was a wedding gift years ago and we could never find one like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 02:37:43 -0500, tangerine3 wrote:

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled
with ink.

It was a wedding gift and we've never been able to find one like it.
http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 04:44:31 -0700, Salmon Egg wrote:

Why is this pot not merely a
thing pot that can be easily replaced.

It was a wedding gift - and - we've never found another one like it.

As for the picture, it was useless. With my lousy eyes I could not tell
anything useful about it.

Sorry. I shrink them to 640x480 to make it easier on the uploads:
http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

I do remember a product called Oakite. It seemed to be the best for
aluminum pots. Its main ingredient was oxalic acid. Nevertheless, it
needed heavy application of elbow grease.

Googling I saw a lot of mention of baking soda - but I didn't try it. I
have no idea how, chemically, baking soda is supposed to work on the
baked on burnt carbon (which is what the black/brown appear to be).

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Hmm. Now, to develop a cover story. "I was just cleaning it.... " This
wonderful tip I read on the computer..... didnt' turn out quite right,
dear?"

As previously stated, "It just broke.".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Bill Keefer" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:37:04 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

The wife came home!

I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on
the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!
http://www.picupine.com/fbb50abx

Whew!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

Norminn wrote:
On 5/12/2012 7:26 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid& 12% pool bleach
so I'm trying both as we speak!

http://www.picupine.com/e906acax

It is burnt on grease. Don't use acid. Bleach won't work. Fantastic
and a 3M scrubber should do the job...is the kettle copper?

Oven Easy-Off (lye) would do it too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

No! No! No!

First you tell her you were attempting to prepare her favorite dish
using the pan *we* got as a wedding gift.

Then apologize. I know, you didn't do anything wrong but if you are
going to stay married, you need to apologize for something every day.
A drop or two of Visine on your cheek works wonders too...just don't get
caught.

On 5/13/2012 7:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Hmm. Now, to develop a cover story. "I was just cleaning it.... " This
wonderful tip I read on the computer..... didnt' turn out quite right,
dear?"

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:49:53 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 04:44:31 -0700, Salmon Egg wrote:

Why is this pot not merely a
thing pot that can be easily replaced.

It was a wedding gift - and - we've never found another one like it.

As for the picture, it was useless. With my lousy eyes I could not tell
anything useful about it.

Sorry. I shrink them to 640x480 to make it easier on the uploads:
http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

I do remember a product called Oakite. It seemed to be the best for
aluminum pots. Its main ingredient was oxalic acid. Nevertheless, it
needed heavy application of elbow grease.

Googling I saw a lot of mention of baking soda - but I didn't try it. I
have no idea how, chemically, baking soda is supposed to work on the
baked on burnt carbon (which is what the black/brown appear to be).

Baking soda is often used as a mild abrasive/polish. Some dentists suggest it
for toothpaste.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On May 13, 5:46*am, Bill Keefer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 21:32:44 -0400, clare wrote:
I suspect the "lead" is solder that was used to hold the heavy base to
the lighter pot material. Own up to what you did and offer to buy her a
new kettle.

Luckily, I got away with it using the pool chlorine.

The kettle isn't as nice as it was, but it's not noticeably burned either..
*http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

She noticed it - but she just yelled at me for trying to clean it.

I said I was trying to clean the scale out of the inside (which I did),
so, she appreciated the attempt.

It was a wedding gift years ago and we could never find one like it.

My mother used to put a glass marble inside her tea pot. It would roll
around knocking off/accumulating scale. She never had to clean the
inside of a tea pot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:47:04 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 02:37:43 -0500, tangerine3 wrote:

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled
with ink.

It was a wedding gift and we've never been able to find one like it.
http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

After reading that this was a wedding gift, that just confirms the
divorce. It might even be a DOUBLE divorce because of the
circumstances.

(Look on ebay, you can find anything on ebay except cheap shipping.)

As a last resort, you might go to alt.marriage.repair!!!!
There might be someone selling some new fangled, marriage repair power
tool. Harbour Fright might have one too, but make sure it has at least
a one year guarantee!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 02:37:43 -0500, tangerine3 wrote:

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled
with ink.

It was a wedding gift and we've never been able to find one like it.
http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x

After reading that this was a wedding gift, that just confirms the
divorce. It might even be a DOUBLE divorce because of the
circumstances.

(Look on ebay, you can find anything on ebay except cheap shipping.)

As a last resort, you might go to alt.marriage.repair!!!!
There might be someone selling some new fangled, marriage repair power
tool. Harbour Fright might have one too, but make sure it has at least
a one year guarantee!

I'd really be hesitant to try to repair a marriage with anything from
Harbor Freight...

True story though, I have a friend who's a smartass and has a
questionable sense of humor (I know, you're shocked) and he looooooves
HF. (I've had interminable arguments with him about tools and quality
vs. price...) We were walking through the store one day (his GF was
shopping at a nearby outlet mall) and he points to the display of
kneepads and says something like "I was going to buy these for the
girlfriend, do you think she'd like them?" My response was "you'll have
to spin that correctly, you know, something like 'but honey, I bought
them for US!'"

What I didn't know was that there was a guy walking up right behind us,
I didn't realize there was anyone around... thought the poor guy was
going to blow out his sinuses trying to stifle himself... bet he had
some 'splainin' to do...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:49:53 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer
wrote Re Help bfore the wife comes home!
(What makes a kettle black?):

Sorry. I shrink them to 640x480 to make it easier on the uploads:

No neet to be sorry. The rest of us appreciate it and can see it just
fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:09:53 +0000, gregz wrote:

I would want to know what the pot material is.

I'm going to guess stainless steel ... but get this.

The BOTTOM of the heavy bottomed pot seems to have spherical globules of
what looks like lead which may have extruded as I overheated the pot.
http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1

In addition, during the bleaching and acid washing a gray gel like
substance was bubbling out of the entire crack at the bottom of the pot
where the heavy part is ...

If that is lead, you should be thankful you ruined it *before* you
became severely ill from the lead.

Now drill a hole in the bottom, and use it for a planter. Women have
this thing about turning EVERYTHING into planters, anyhow.....
!!! (((Doncha just love those toilet planters in yards))) !!!

One final thought. Get your wife some new pot. I'd suggest some
Columbian Gold!!! (Dont forget the papers and rolling machine).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

there is nothing wrong with lead solder that never comes in contact with
food... sheesh. Although I suspect that for cookware, it's actually
silver solder not lead solder.

nate