Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soot on ceiling areas around heat outlet registers

The standard explanation is dirt (or soot from candles) in the rooms
accumulates around the registers due to airflow as show in the diagram
here about 1/3 of the way down, where it says "Dirt on the ceiling":

http://hphaa.com/editorials/index.htm#sky

The gal who lives in the apartment keeps it quite clean. She regularly
burns candles (mostly the expensive Yankee brand) and has been doing so
for over nine years. The soot problem just started about four days ago.
She hasn't switched brands or even started burning new candles from the
same company. Also, while the soot is most visible against the white
ceilings within six or so inches from the registers, cups just sitting
on counters about 30" above the floor are also coated with soot/dirt.

She keeps the wicks trimmed. I guess it's possible that the bottom of a
wick has a defect that only shows up as the upper portion of the candle
burns away, but there hasn't been visible smoke.

Last Saturday, the smoke alarm went off in her apartment. Couldn't tie
it directly to the candles, but after she put them (four or so) out, the
alarm stopped.

The problem is most intense in the kitchen, which also happens to be the
closest room to the gas furnace located in the attic above her kitchen.
The more distant the register, the less noticeable the soot. (Also, no
candle burning in the distant room.)

The furnace is about nine years old, so a leak in the air exchanger is
unlikely. Even if there is one, there also would have to be incomplete
combustion of the gas to allow carbon particles to mix in the heated air
to her apartment.

Thanks for your ideas.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Is it oil heat, gas heat, or ....?

I would be concerned about a cracked heat exchanger and, of course, you need
to make sure you have CO detectors in the apartment.

In one property that I own, which has oil-fired hot air heat, similar issues
were noticed, including the smoke detector going off. I had an HVAC person
come out right away and all it turned out to be was a build up of soot in
the connector pipe that goes to the chimney. He cleaned out the pipe and
cleaned and serviced the whole heating unit and the problem was solved. No
cracked heat exchanger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 4:55*pm, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

If your alarm is going off, you need to urgently attend to this. It
might well be a faulty heat exchanger.
You might be getting carbon monoxide too which can kill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:55*am, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Black mold. I get it near the duct outlets on some vents. Cleans off
with a damp cloth and a little cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2012 12:28 PM, TomR wrote:

The problem is most intense in the kitchen, which also happens to be
the closest room to the gas furnace located in the attic above her
kitchen. The more distant the register, the less noticeable the soot.
(Also, no candle burning in the distant room.)

The furnace is about nine years old, so a leak in the air exchanger is
unlikely. Even if there is one, there also would have to be incomplete
combustion of the gas to allow carbon particles to mix in the heated
air to her apartment.

Thanks for your ideas.

R1

Is it oil heat, gas heat, or ....?

As the two paragraphs say, it's gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2012 1:48 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 3, 11:55 am, wrote:
[...]

That might be, which could explain why my nose gets stuffy when I visit
her even though I don't have a confirmed mold sensitivity. However, the
soot also coats cups on counter about 30 inches above the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:55 am, *wrote:
[...]

I would put mold second on my list and investigate the possibility of
it being Carbon Monoxide as two previous posters has stated.

AND I WOULD DO IT NOW!!!!!

Call the local fire department and see if they will bring
instrumentation out to check this. Again - NOW. Before you have a
fatality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
On 5/3/2012 12:28 PM, TomR wrote:

The problem is most intense in the kitchen, which also happens to be
the closest room to the gas furnace located in the attic above her
kitchen. The more distant the register, the less noticeable the
soot. (Also, no candle burning in the distant room.)

The furnace is about nine years old, so a leak in the air exchanger
is unlikely. Even if there is one, there also would have to be
incomplete combustion of the gas to allow carbon particles to mix
in the heated air to her apartment.

Thanks for your ideas.

R1

Is it oil heat, gas heat, or ....?

As the two paragraphs say, it's gas.

Opps, sorry. I guess I should have had my reading glasses on and/or put my
brain in gear when I was reading what you originally wrote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:55 am, wrote:
[...]

Damn right! Let us know. And good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Monoxide is a clear, colorless gas, about the same dentisty as air. Wouldn't
lead to soot.

http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/symptoms.html
Stuffy nose, not on the list.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RonB" wrote in message news:8bac6a3b-e0a8-4f60-bf98-

That might be, which could explain why my nose gets stuffy when I visit
her even though I don't have a confirmed mold sensitivity. However, the
soot also coats cups on counter about 30 inches above the floor.

I would put mold second on my list and investigate the possibility of
it being Carbon Monoxide as two previous posters has stated.

AND I WOULD DO IT NOW!!!!!

Call the local fire department and see if they will bring
instrumentation out to check this. Again - NOW. Before you have a
fatality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/symptoms.html
Is stuffy nose on the list of symptoms?

The soot may be coming from a cracked heat exchanger.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Norminn" wrote in message

AND I WOULD DO IT NOW!!!!!

Call the local fire department and see if they will bring
instrumentation out to check this. Again - NOW. Before you have a
fatality.

Damn right! Let us know. And good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Electrostatic (or other) air cleaner quit working? You could add better
filtering.

Candles put a lot of crud into the air. Buy her a few of the new LED fake
candles. It'll cut down your higher than normal risk of fires. In the meanwhile,
your furnace duct system is being coated inside with difficult to remove waxy
soot. The distant room may get less soot because the ducts are collecting it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:35*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Monoxide is a clear, colorless gas, about the same dentisty as air. Wouldn't
lead to soot.

* *http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/symptoms.html
Stuffy nose, not on the list.

Soot indicates insufficient air to burn the fuel.
Insufficient air can also lead to CO formation instead of CO2

So sooting is often accompanied by CO (Carbon monoxide) production.
Silent, odourless and deadly.

Did Jesus never tell you this?

So the OP needs to determine what's going on get this fixed uregently.
In fact shut the system down until it is sorted out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

detector a few feet below the register closest to the gas furnace for a
few minutes while the heat was on. No alarms.

The building has two levels and two furnaces, one for each level. Each
level has two apartments. My next step will be to have her ask the other
tenants if they are having a similar soot problem.

I post the results.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 10:14*am, Rebel1 wrote:
detector a few feet below the register closest to the gas furnace for a
few minutes while the heat was on. No alarms.

The building has two levels and two furnaces, one for each level. Each
level has two apartments. My next step will be to have her ask the other
tenants if they are having a similar soot problem.

I post the results.

R1

If the origin is NOT new formulation of candles and NOT cracked heat
exchanger/build up and IS black mold; you can try a test. Place open
vinegar or bleach, or paper towels soaked in vinegar or bleach, near
the intake and see if the balck streaking stops - and if your nose
stops feeling stuffy when you go in there. The vinegar will make the
house smell like salad dressing, and the bleach will make it smell
clean, so it's a win-win, ...a bit anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2012 9:12 AM, Robert Macy wrote:
On May 5, 10:14 am, wrote:
detector a few feet below the register closest to the gas furnace for a
few minutes while the heat was on. No alarms.

The building has two levels and two furnaces, one for each level. Each
level has two apartments. My next step will be to have her ask the other
tenants if they are having a similar soot problem.

I post the results.

R1

If the origin is NOT new formulation of candles and NOT cracked heat
exchanger/build up and IS black mold; you can try a test. Place open
vinegar or bleach, or paper towels soaked in vinegar or bleach, near
the intake and see if the balck streaking stops - and if your nose
stops feeling stuffy when you go in there. The vinegar will make the
house smell like salad dressing, and the bleach will make it smell
clean, so it's a win-win, ...a bit anyway.

Excellent suggestion. I'll try that in a couple of days when I next go
there.

Thanks,

R1