Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Soot on ceiling areas around heat outlet registers

Rebel1 wrote:
On 5/3/2012 12:28 PM, TomR wrote:

The problem is most intense in the kitchen, which also happens to be
the closest room to the gas furnace located in the attic above her
kitchen. The more distant the register, the less noticeable the
soot. (Also, no candle burning in the distant room.)

The furnace is about nine years old, so a leak in the air exchanger
is unlikely. Even if there is one, there also would have to be
incomplete combustion of the gas to allow carbon particles to mix
in the heated air to her apartment.

Thanks for your ideas.

R1

Is it oil heat, gas heat, or ....?

As the two paragraphs say, it's gas.

Opps, sorry. I guess I should have had my reading glasses on and/or put my
brain in gear when I was reading what you originally wrote.