Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to find out what company made your product

Some time ago a poster asked who made the drywall he's bought. I went onto
GS1 and found out who it was. At the time I thought you needed to be logged
in to get access to the database, but it turns out that may not be totally
true.

Go go GS1, the organization that controls all UPC codes.
http://www.gs1.org/
Click on the link at bottom left: "Who owns this barcode?"

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 May 2012 23:39:29 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Some time ago a poster asked who made the drywall he's bought. I went onto
GS1 and found out who it was. At the time I thought you needed to be logged
in to get access to the database, but it turns out that may not be totally
true.

Go go GS1, the organization that controls all UPC codes.
http://www.gs1.org/
Click on the link at bottom left: "Who owns this barcode?"

Thanks Tegger. Tho I have no need for this info right now, I think
this might be useful info in the future so I bookmarked it, just in
case. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:39*am, Tegger wrote:
Some time ago a poster asked who made the drywall he's bought. I went onto
GS1 and found out who it was. At the time I thought you needed to be logged
in to get access to the database, but it turns out that may not be totally
true.

Go go GS1, the organization that controls all UPC codes.http://www.gs1.org/
Click on the link at bottom left: "Who owns this barcode?"

--
Tegger

I thought drywall in America was made in China and had some serious
defect. Poison or something?

Ah, There yah go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 4:39*pm, Tegger wrote:
Some time ago a poster asked who made the drywall he's bought. I went onto
GS1 and found out who it was. At the time I thought you needed to be logged
in to get access to the database, but it turns out that may not be totally
true.

Go go GS1, the organization that controls all UPC codes.http://www.gs1.org/
Click on the link at bottom left: "Who owns this barcode?"

--
Tegger

The first postings were back Feb 15, 2012

The code as it appears on the gypsum drywall:

7 72677 00248 8

From memory, manufactured in North Carolina

You had recommended the GS1 website earlier, but the information for
manufacturer was circular, back to GS1
The product came up correctly, well in a way.

I still don't know who made this drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/2/2012 9:36 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

The code as it appears on the gypsum drywall:

7 72677 00248 8

From memory, manufactured in North Carolina

You had recommended the GS1 website earlier, but the information for
manufacturer was circular, back to GS1
The product came up correctly, well in a way.

I still don't know who made this drywall.

Well, if in NC odds are it was National Gypsum, then.

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/about/index.htm

Of course, it well may be actually been manufactured in another of their
locations and the barcode simply refers to home office state; that's the
call of how the company uses/codes their info afaik.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 8:14*am, dpb wrote:
On 5/2/2012 9:36 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

The code as it appears on the gypsum drywall:

7 72677 00248 8

*From memory, manufactured in North Carolina

You had recommended the GS1 website earlier, but the information for
manufacturer was circular, back to GS1
The product came up correctly, well in a way.

I still don't know who made this drywall.

Well, if in NC odds are it was National Gypsum, then.

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/about/index.htm

Of course, it well may be actually been manufactured in another of their
locations and the barcode simply refers to home office state; that's the
call of how the company uses/codes their info afaik.

--

Thanks!

National Gypsum's website shows pallets of drywall with their end caps
covered in RED candy striping. What I have definitely has BLUE paper,
but about thesame pattern. Will check
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/2/2012 2:40 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On May 2, 8:14 am, wrote:

Well, if in NC odds are it was National Gypsum, then.

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/about/index.htm

Of course, it well may be actually been manufactured in another of their
locations and the barcode simply refers to home office state; that's the
call of how the company uses/codes their info afaik.

National Gypsum's website shows pallets of drywall with their end caps
covered in RED candy striping. What I have definitely has BLUE paper,
but about thesame pattern. Will check

That's only one of a couple dozen possible products.

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/products/Product.aspx?ProductID=2399

What others might be blue-coded I don't know; I don't believe there's
any overall coding between vendors for the various purpose-specific board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 May 2012 01:00:46 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On May 2, 12:39*am, Tegger wrote:
Some time ago a poster asked who made the drywall he's bought. I went onto
GS1 and found out who it was. At the time I thought you needed to be logged
in to get access to the database, but it turns out that may not be totally
true.

Go go GS1, the organization that controls all UPC codes.http://www.gs1.org/
Click on the link at bottom left: "Who owns this barcode?"

--
Tegger

I thought drywall in America was made in China and had some serious
defect. Poison or something?

Ah, There yah go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall

As usual, harry, you show yourself to be the idiot you are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote in
:

The first postings were back Feb 15, 2012

The code as it appears on the gypsum drywall:

7 72677 00248 8

From memory, manufactured in North Carolina

No, in Canada.

You had recommended the GS1 website earlier, but the information for
manufacturer was circular, back to GS1

It's telling you you need to go to GS1 Canada to get the information you
want. And, unfortunately, it appears the Canadian site does not have a
public-access search for GLN ownership. I think you'd have to actually
email them.

The product came up correctly, well in a way.

I still don't know who made this drywall.

Way back in February I posted who made it. It was made by CertainTeed
Gypsum, in Canada. I know this because I have a login on the Canadian GS1
site.

CertainTeed's GLN is 772677.

It looks like the US site's search only works for US-made products.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 5:34*am, Tegger wrote:
Robert Macy wrote :

The first postings were back Feb 15, 2012

The code as it appears on the gypsum drywall:

7 72677 00248 8

From memory, manufactured in North Carolina

No, in Canada.

You had recommended the GS1 website earlier, but the information for
manufacturer was circular, back to GS1

It's telling you you need to go to GS1 Canada to get the information you
want. And, unfortunately, it appears the Canadian site does not have a
public-access search for GLN ownership. I think you'd have to actually
email them.

The product came up correctly, well in a way.

I still don't know who made this drywall.

Way back in February I posted who made it. It was made by CertainTeed
Gypsum, in Canada. I know this because I have a login on the Canadian GS1
site.

CertainTeed's GLN is 772677.

It looks like the US site's search only works for US-made products.

--
Tegger

Thanks, missed that somehow. Worse it took 1/2 hour to find those old
postings! Did you post the contact information, too?

Anyway, the joint compound from Walmart is Proforma, made by National
Gypsum and definitely out of North Carolina and definitely the wrong
UPC code. something like 0222????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote in
:

Thanks, missed that somehow. Worse it took 1/2 hour to find those old
postings! Did you post the contact information, too?

This is part of what I posted on Feb 15th:

"Your sheetrock was marketed by CertainTeed Gypsum Canada, Inc.. They are
in a city called Mississauga, which is just west of Toronto, Ontario.

"The phone number listed for CertainTeed is 905-823-9881."

"I cannot tell from the UPC whether or not the board was /made/ in Canada.
For that you need to see the information printed on the product itself."

Anyway, the joint compound from Walmart is Proforma, made by National
Gypsum and definitely out of North Carolina and definitely the wrong
UPC code. something like 0222????

You need the whole GTIN be able to find the GLN within it. Companies have
different length GLNs depending on how many SKUs they have.

Translation:
"GTIN" is the product UPC number.
"GLN" is the part of the UPC that is the company's unique ID number.
CertainTeed's GLN is 772677

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 12:05*pm, Tegger wrote:

[...]

Thanks for reposting ...and adding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote in
:

On May 3, 12:05*pm, Tegger wrote:

Translation:
"GTIN" is the product UPC number.
"GLN" is the part of the UPC that is the company's unique ID number.
CertainTeed's GLN is 772677

Thanks for reposting ...and adding.

You're welcome.

As an aside, they're building a new subdivision in my town just west of
where I live. Guess what brand of drywall the builders are using?

--
Tegger