Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Mag light spring contributes to leaking?

I suspect that the strong spring on the tail cap contributes to leaking.
Puts the batteries under mechanical pressure.

Has anyone else studied this, or got any anecdotal evidence? Are batteries
more likely to leak in a Mag light, compared to out of?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I suspect that the strong spring on the tail cap contributes to leaking.
Puts the batteries under mechanical pressure.

Has anyone else studied this, or got any anecdotal evidence? Are batteries
more likely to leak in a Mag light, compared to out of?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Hi,
My wife uses the light on her work when performing an eye exam.
I replaced bulb couple times but never had leakage problem.
I only use industrial grade Duracell batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I suspect that the strong spring on the tail cap contributes to
leaking. Puts the batteries under mechanical pressure.

Has anyone else studied this, or got any anecdotal evidence? Are
batteries more likely to leak in a Mag light, compared to out of?

It could be the spring. Never thought of that before.

Personally, I always thought it was because Mag-Lights are so well-sealed
internally: No air-flow.

I've had a number of Mag-Lights ruined on account of leaking batteries over
the years, but never in that same span of time have any of my ordinary
flashlights suffered from that problem. Same Duracell or Energizer
batteries in all, too.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eye exam? Would that be a mini mag? I can't remember having a leaky battery
in mini mag. Just the D cell models. I've only owned one C cell mag, and
that sits without batteries.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
My wife uses the light on her work when performing an eye exam.
I replaced bulb couple times but never had leakage problem.
I only use industrial grade Duracell batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

From your experiences, might be the Mags have more leaks.

Some places, it's possible to leave the light and the batteries separately.
Put the batteries in, at time of use. Other times, that's not practical.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message

It could be the spring. Never thought of that before.

Personally, I always thought it was because Mag-Lights are so well-sealed
internally: No air-flow.

I've had a number of Mag-Lights ruined on account of leaking batteries over
the years, but never in that same span of time have any of my ordinary
flashlights suffered from that problem. Same Duracell or Energizer
batteries in all, too.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

From your experiences, might be the Mags have more leaks.

Some places, it's possible to leave the light and the batteries
separately. Put the batteries in, at time of use. Other times, that's
not practical.

I now rubber-band the batteries to the exterior of the flashlight, in the
orientation they need to be when installed.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

From your experiences, might be the Mags have more leaks.

"Tegger" wrote in message

It could be the spring. Never thought of that before.

Personally, I always thought it was because Mag-Lights are so well-sealed
internally: No air-flow.

I've had a number of Mag-Lights ruined on account of leaking batteries over
the years, but never in that same span of time have any of my ordinary
flashlights suffered from that problem. Same Duracell or Energizer
batteries in all, too.

I've got several mini mag lites and one large mag lite and so far in
about 3 years no problems. Perhaps mine are still too new???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Democrat batteries face left, Republican batteries
face right?

(Sounds like a very good idea.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message

I now rubber-band the batteries to the exterior of the flashlight,
in the orientation they need to be when installed.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps. The one time, I had a leaker, I had to use a couple pipe wrenches
to get the tail cap off my 4D mag. Stored with the bulb end up, so it makes
sense any crud flowed down on to the threads. I now have a small light, so I
can see enough to find some batteries for my big light.

My 3D lights (one in each vehicle) havn't been a problem, yet. Knock wood.
Wish me luck.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message

I've got several mini mag lites and one large mag lite and so far in
about 3 years no problems. Perhaps mine are still too new???

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can easily imagine that. At least, in the warmer parts of the USA.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Myopic" wrote in message
HVAC tech told me that alkaline batteries leak when in a partially
discharged state and left in a hot car or service van.

On 4/16/2012 10:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I suspect that the strong spring on the tail cap contributes to leaking.
Puts the batteries under mechanical pressure.

Has anyone else studied this, or got any anecdotal evidence? Are batteries
more likely to leak in a Mag light, compared to out of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:Xj%
:

Democrat batteries face left, Republican batteries
face right?

And libertarian batteries go in sideways.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect that the strong spring on the tail cap contributes to leaking.
Puts the batteries under mechanical pressure.

Has anyone else studied this, or got any anecdotal evidence? Are
batteries
more likely to leak in a Mag light, compared to out of?

Don't know if it is just me, but I have more battery leakage in Maglites
than anything else. I used to get lots of the small ones for free, but now
I would not buy one. With the cheap LEDs, Maglites are overrated and
overpriced.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tea party batteries insist on going back to the original paper work, and
going in the way the Founding Manufacturers wanted.

Hey, this is fun! Lets keep going.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:Xj%
:

Democrat batteries face left, Republican batteries
face right?

And libertarian batteries go in sideways.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Perhaps. The one time, I had a leaker, I had to use a couple pipe wrenches
to get the tail cap off my 4D mag. Stored with the bulb end up, so it
makes
sense any crud flowed down on to the threads. I now have a small light, so
can see enough to find some batteries for my big light.

I've been replacing my Mag lights with LED flashlights
More light in a smaller package,
I've recently picked up 3 235 Lumen LED flashlights for $25 each.
They're smaller than MiniMags, too

I'm waiting for a very bright LED conversion to go into the C and D cell Mag
lites
With the 3-4 battery Mags we should be able to have 300+ lumens out of them.