Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Eating slime and scrape.

We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that we’ve been eating scrape as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,6465140.story
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2012 11:31 AM, wrote:
We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that we’ve been eating scrape as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,6465140.story

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:7891446.307.1334503888294.JavaMail.geo-
discussion-forums@ynmf4:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...-roll-product-
linked-to-sickness-20120413,0,6465140.story

IMHO, anyone who gets sick after eating raw fish has nobody to blame but himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:25:46 -0400, Frank
wrote:

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

It was a scientist at the FDA that came up with Pink Slime. The TV
chef only brought it to the attention of the public. Until recently,
that stuff was not allowed for human consumption and was used in pet
food. Magically, one day ammoniated beef is OK to eat.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

I'll agree there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

It was a scientist at the FDA that came up with Pink Slime. The TV
chef only brought it to the attention of the public. Until recently,
that stuff was not allowed for human consumption and was used in pet
food. Magically, one day ammoniated beef is OK to eat.

I always buy ground beef that I expect to be ground "that day". I don't
want filler that came from a couple of states away. If the store adds
filler they need to be completely up front about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

It was a scientist at the FDA that came up with Pink Slime. The TV
chef only brought it to the attention of the public. Until recently,
that stuff was not allowed for human consumption and was used in pet
food. Magically, one day ammoniated beef is OK to eat.

That's not the way it is decided.

Ammonia is considered GRAS by the FDA and used in lots of food products:

http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources...ood_Production
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

It was a scientist at the FDA that came up with Pink Slime. The TV
chef only brought it to the attention of the public. Until recently,
that stuff was not allowed for human consumption and was used in pet
food. Magically, one day ammoniated beef is OK to eat.

That's not the way it is decided.

Ammonia is considered GRAS by the FDA and used in lots of food products:

http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources...ood_Production

You can have my share. The Canadians were smart enough to prohibit
it. It is so safe it is not allowed to be sold to us directly. Yeah,
I want to eat that for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime
The term "pink slime" was coined in 2002 by Gerald Zirnstein, who at
that time was a microbiologist for the United States Department of
Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service,[6] but some
state officials have objected to the nickname, saying that "lean,
finely textured beef is the proper name."[10]

In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold
directly to consumers, but can constitute up to 15% of ground beef
without additional labeling,[8] and can also be added to other meat
products such as beef-based processed meats.[8] Prior to the invention
of the disinfection process, beef scraps could only be sold as pet
food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[4]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...od-safety-spic...

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. *More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

The Japs do it.
Smoked salmon?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

-snip-

In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold
directly to consumers, but can constitute up to 15% of ground beef
without additional labeling,

To me, that's a real puzzler. We can't be trusted to use pink slime
responsibly, but a grocery store can add it to our food and not tell
us.

[8] and can also be added to other meat
products such as beef-based processed meats.[8] Prior to the invention
of the disinfection process, beef scraps could only be sold as pet
food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[4]

An ingredient for cooking oil?g yum.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2012 7:26 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Ed wrote:

-snip-

In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold
directly to consumers, but can constitute up to 15% of ground beef
without additional labeling,

To me, that's a real puzzler. We can't be trusted to use pink slime
responsibly, but a grocery store can add it to our food and not tell
us.

Lots of magical things can happen if you put a properly filled envelope
in the right person's hands..

[8] and can also be added to other meat
products such as beef-based processed meats.[8] Prior to the invention
of the disinfection process, beef scraps could only be sold as pet
food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[4]

An ingredient for cooking oil?g yum.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I had not tracked it down but had heard that it was brought to
the forefront by a TV cook.

I've seen some of those History or Discovery channel shows where they
show production of processed meats like hot dogs. I think hot dogs are
OK to eat but anyone that sees their production might have second
thoughts. You could make similar comments on other processed foods like
canned soup. All safe to eat, but you might not like to see the
preparation.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 15, 12:25*pm, Frank wrote:
On 4/15/2012 11:31 AM, wrote:

We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that we’ve been eating scrape as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...od-safety-spic...

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. *More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

I've eaten raw fish (often!) and also lamb and beef. Mmm, that's
tasty! Haven't tried raw chicken nor do I have any desire to.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote in news:82d4660d-e82c-4287-bd44-fefcec23b860
@f6g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

On Apr 15, 12:25*pm, Frank wrote:
On 4/15/2012 11:31 AM, wrote:

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. *More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

I've eaten raw fish (often!) and also lamb and beef. Mmm, that's
tasty! Haven't tried raw chicken nor do I have any desire to.

There's been an interesting evolution in animal behaviorism, regarding what behaviors are
thought to distinguish humans from other animals. One by one, the old criteria have fallen by
the wayside, as primate researchers have observed chimpanzees and gorillas using tools,
making tools, conducting funerals (!), doing simple arithmetic, planning and anticipating the
actions of another, and using language.

One distinction still remains: man, and *only* man, uses fire.

And that's really the big difference between us, and the "lower" animals: we f*cking COOK
our food.

Because we can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2012 1:39 AM, harry wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:25 pm, wrote:
On 4/15/2012 11:31 AM, wrote:

We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that we’ve been eating scrape as well.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...od-safety-spic...

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

The Japs do it.
Smoked salmon?

Smoked or lox isn't considered raw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2012 8:47 AM, N8N wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:25 pm, wrote:
On 4/15/2012 11:31 AM, wrote:

We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that we’ve been eating scrape as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...od-safety-spic...

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some
asshole TV chef calling it that.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. More people get sick from it
than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

I've eaten raw fish (often!) and also lamb and beef. Mmm, that's
tasty! Haven't tried raw chicken nor do I have any desire to.

nate

Have you tried this?

http://www.youtube.com/v/oUoCZOOxgv8

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that
we’ve been eating scrape as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,6465140.story

Criminently! You're here because your not so long ago ancestors ate rotten
meat, slugs, and anything they could get their hands on. It was only the
last generation that did essentially the same thing out on the farm.

Get over yourself.

Everyone dies of something. You'll probably choke to death on some huge
bite of pork.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:27:12 -0400, George
wrote:

Lots of magical things can happen if you put a properly filled envelope
in the right person's hands..

The woman that approved it for human use ended up on the board of
directors for some meat group with a huge salary to go with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:43:36 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Thanks. I had not tracked it down but had heard that it was brought to
the forefront by a TV cook.

Jamie Oliver

I've seen some of those History or Discovery channel shows where they
show production of processed meats like hot dogs. I think hot dogs are
OK to eat but anyone that sees their production might have second
thoughts.

These people had second thoughts on eating sausage made fresh. Very
fresh

http://www.youtube.com/v/oUoCZOOxgv8

scrape and paint or reside jimbob Home Repair 12 November 13th 06 08:05 AM
scrape panels before glue up? david blumberg Woodworking 20 September 5th 06 05:57 AM
scrape or plane? the_mak Woodworking 5 January 31st 06 09:22 PM
Wood siding exterior prep. Powerwash vs. Scrape Monty Hall Home Repair 3 August 9th 05 08:09 PM
NEVER Scrape! George Woodturning 21 February 21st 05 09:10 PM