Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure Regulator

On Monday, April 2, 2012 8:32:15 PM UTC-4, Charles Bishop wrote:
I just ran new copper lines for a small sink, including a water heater.
When I turned on the water a small amount came out of the faucet's cold
tap, under pressure, then no more came. I took off the faucet's filter
before I turned on the water. If I turn off the water, then turn it back
on, the same thing happens.

I checked the filter screen in the pressure regulator and it's clean. Is
there something going on internally in the PR that could be causing this?
As far as I know, there isn't any blockage in the copper lines.

There's nothing else in the system except PR, WH and sink. Oh, there are
taps for a washing machine, but no washing machine.

What's going on?

Sounds like classic "backwards check valve" to me.

If it was crud/blockage, you'd get some water then nothing more, ever, no matter how many times you turned the water on and off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 3:56*pm, wrote:
[...]

try opening each valve even those for the non existent washer and
check flow,

if no good flow try moving the pressure adjustment screw on the
regulator
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/3/2012 2:56 PM, wrote:
[...]

Tend to agree altho would like to know more about what was actually done
and where.

It may be coincidental, but pressure regulators _can_ fail (I know, you
didn't ask but I'll tell the story anyway.. ) A day or two after the
youngest daughter was born after having been in the new house only a few
months, we have no water. To compound matters, the pressure regulator
is not to be found inside the house anywhere or even at the meter
opening and the builder wasn't present at the installation and doesn't
even remember who the plumber was. To add even more joy, it is raining
steadily for two days and no sign of letting up. In order to get water,
I cobbled up a bypass w/ a garden hose from the meter to the outside
hydrant on that side of the house while starting to dig to find the
obstruction. The regulator was buried inline in the trench about 5 ft
from the meter for some absolutely unknown reason and it was the culprit
having failed shut. Needless to say, it was relocated into a more
accessible location...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
24138299.1981.1333483009481.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbpp14,
wrote:

On Monday, April 2, 2012 8:32:15 PM UTC-4, Charles Bishop wrote:
I just ran new copper lines for a small sink, including a water heater.
When I turned on the water a small amount came out of the faucet's cold
tap, under pressure, then no more came. I took off the faucet's filter
before I turned on the water. If I turn off the water, then turn it back
on, the same thing happens.

I checked the filter screen in the pressure regulator and it's clean. Is
there something going on internally in the PR that could be causing this?
As far as I know, there isn't any blockage in the copper lines.

There's nothing else in the system except PR, WH and sink. Oh, there are
taps for a washing machine, but no washing machine.

What's going on?

Sounds like classic "backwards check valve" to me.

I checked the PR and it's installed correctly, with the IN where it should
be and the OUT, not surprisingly, where it should be.

If it was crud/blockage, you'd get some water then nothing more, ever, no

matter how many times you turned the water on and off.

This is a good point. I'm thinking there's something internal to the PR
that is hinky. The next thing is to take it out of the system and see if
the water flows normally, though at a higher pressure.

I should note that this line, with the PR is only for a small sink, along
with a water heater. It comes off of the main line, but it has a separate
PR.

I did reuse the old PR when I did the work, but I cleaned scale off of the
screen filter inside the PR, and checked it to see if debris was present,
and there wasn't any.

Hate to spend the bux for a new one, so might try to take this one apart.
Are there repair kits for the internal bits of a PR?

Home repair is fun, and entertaining. I'm surprised I have to spend money
on other entertainment.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
, bob
haller wrote:

On Apr 3, 3:56=A0pm, wrote:
[...]

Am I trying to break something loose, or do you think it's just the
pressure that isn't set correctly?

--
charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

On 4/3/2012 2:56 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think this is most likely. It's a case of "it was working when I took it
out, and now doesn't when I put it back. There was a period of several
months between the first and the 2nd event, and it is 20-25 years old now
so maybe that's the best reason. If it did fail, I can take it apart to
see if I can repair it for future use.

Do you have any stories of pressure regulators you'd like to share?