Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For all you morons that use google-groups to post to usenet

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:06:10 -0400, Home Guy wrote:
They added ... their own form of *******ized "groups" ...
and lumped those groups in with real usenet groups
and continued to call the whole thing - "google groups".

Ah. I see.

So, they created a term which they call "google groups" which
(apparently) is all of nntp ... plus ... collections of other stuff they
allowed users to create???

That's crazy.

To me, there's NNTP and then, after that ... there are forums.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Just thought that you might want to know that since Tuesday this week,
all of you Klowns (that don't know how to use a proper usenet client
paired with any two-bit REAL usenet server) that if you use
google-groups to access (read and post) to usenet, that your posts
haven't been leaving the google server and hence all the rest of us that
use REAL NNTP servers haven't been seeing your posts.

So if you throw a tantrum and post a wise-ass response to this - we
won't see it.

where does that put us aioe users on the scale?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

I had some Google posts that only showed up in Google and not my
newsreader so I knew there was a problem.

Sonic's news server pulled up lame and they're on the verge of taking it
out and shooting it. I attributed the sudden drop in traffic to that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Martin C. wrote:
I use an NNTP client but I can't figure out what google means by 'google
groups'.

There is no such thing as a 'google group' (or is there?).

This, for example, is posted to a USENET group (or a USENET newsgroup) -
but what does google mean by "google groups"?

Ah, that triggered a repressed memory from life as a weee tot.
Apparently USENET officially consists of specific hierarchies.
Some, alt maybe (a repressed memory after all), weren't considered
USENET even though they were widely distributed and equally active.
Some people were very pedantic about it, but eventually they mellowed
out and all aguing on news groups gradually came to an end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2012 10:45 PM, Ron wrote:
Duesenberg formulated the question :

It's too bad that HomeGuy's actions tend to make people think negatively
about our northern neighbors.

--
Bobby G.

I'm one of your northern neighbours and it ticks me off when people
like Harry and Home Guy come into a group that is majority American
and instead of discussing home repair ideas and topics, post topics
that are meant to demean and bash of Americans.

"Home Guy" is only nice when he wants something. He reminds me of my
ex-wife. :|

Um, you were once married to a demented gay Canuck guy? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

Considering that you are using Windows 95 and don't own a cell
phone.............

Windows 98 SE with KernelEx.

So what would you conclude - "considering that" ?

And yes, I don't own a cell phone. What of it? Does it mean I'm not
easily influenced by peer pressure? Does it mean I'm not influenced by
the addictive nature of texting or having an irrational need to feel
"connected" ? Does it mean I make wise decisions as to how I spend (or
save) my money?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

You will note that those people are now trapped in their own
little google world.

Ummmmm, I use GG 95% of the time and I'm not "trapped" anywhere.

What kind of moron are you, exactly?

Look at the context of that comment that I made.

I said that those that use google-groups to access (read/post) to usenet
are now trapped in their own little google world. In case you missed
it, posts made using google-groups haven't been propagating to other
usenet servers for almost a week now. So those posts are "trapped" and
are not visible outside of google-groups.

You are not using google-groups to post to usenet - at least this post
that you just made wasn't posted from google-groups. You're using
newshosting.com - which I'm not sure if you pay for that or if it's
contracted through your ISP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Just thought that you might want to know that since Tuesday this
week, that if you use google-groups to access (read and post)
to usenet, that your posts haven't been leaving the google
server and hence all the rest of us that use REAL NNTP servers
haven't been seeing your posts.

where does that put us aioe users on the scale?

There's no scale here.

There continues to be real NNTP servers peered together in a world-wide
network, and there is Google with their pathetically inferior server
which provides a service branded as "google-groups" which for the past
week (the second time in the past month or two) has allowed users to
post messages but has not transmitted those messages to the outside
usenet world.

AIOE is one of many real NNTP servers. Posts made via AIOE or any other
real server continue to be propagated between each other - and also to
google's server. So google-group users will see those posts, but nobody
outside of google will see their posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2012 10:45 PM, Ron wrote:
Duesenberg formulated the question :

It's too bad that HomeGuy's actions tend to make people think
negatively
about our northern neighbors.

--
Bobby G.

I'm one of your northern neighbours and it ticks me off when people
like Harry and Home Guy come into a group that is majority American
and instead of discussing home repair ideas and topics, post topics
that are meant to demean and bash of Americans.

"Home Guy" is only nice when he wants something. He reminds me of my
ex-wife. :|

Um, you were once married to a demented gay Canuck guy? o_O

TDD

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you think this is a good situation for them?

Would you rather we just feel sorry for them?

Instead of cajoling them to do better for themselves?

Yet you never seem to acknowledge the fact that there are
situations where the only choice is GG, such as locked down
corporate machines where a nntp client can not be installed.

If we restrict the argument to GG vs. a nntp client, then GG is
indeed a "good situation for them" since it at least give them
access to usenet.

If you're putting forward this premis:

"Given someone that is backed into a sufficiently small
corner such that their only way to access usenet is via
a web (HTTP) based interface..."

then you've essentially designed the premis to be affirmative - meaning
that of course in that case people would have no choice BUT to use
google-groups to access usenet.

But perhaps there are other, *better* web-based usenet-access portals
(there are certainly others - I don't know if they're better in terms of
interface ergonomics, performance/speed, etc).

So I've made that concession (as it were) to that argument.

But note also that if you want to focus on restrictive work-place
situations, you also have to take into account that if employers have
such restrictive computer-use policies that they may also have blocking
mechanisms at the network level that prevent users from accessing
time-wasting sites such as facebook and twitter. Such blocks might also
include google-groups, yahoo groups, etc.

The flip side is to now consider what are we to make of the situations
where people use google-groups when they are NOT limited to restrictive
web-based portals?

And if they do so from home (or at least using their own computing
devices).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Steve B wrote:

[...]

That's fine. You have done what I wanted done. You validated me. Now I
feel much more a part of this group, and don't fear castigation by the
netnannies any more. Or any less.

Just one more question. How does this make a difference in your daily life,
and what do you do to cope with it?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

It's too bad that HomeGuy's actions tend to make people think negatively
about our northern neighbors.

--
Bobby G.

I'm one of your northern neighbours and it ticks me off when people like
Harry and Home Guy come into a group that is majority American and
instead of discussing home repair ideas and topics, post topics that are
meant to demean and bash of Americans.

Pleased to meet you! I spent years in Buffalo, NY and lots of time in
Toronto and Quebec. Coming from NYC, I had never seen a city as clean as
Toronto. Never met an "ugly Canadian" until AHR and HomeGuy.

Now teasing and playful ribbing is okay but the continuous snubbing over
non home repair topics is just tiring.

It's a constant drone of "look how smart we are and how dumb you are." We
call that a "one trick pony" and the whole act is getting kind of tiresome.

That's what the alt.flame and alt.politics groups are for.

They would incinerate him in alt.flame. There would be nothing but a little
soot left.

Now Don Rickles: He made a career out of demeaning his audience, but
that's what you expect from a Don Rickles show. You pay for that
privilege. You don't expect it from a home repair forum.

I just saw Don on TV the other night. He owns the "insult comic" routine
for sure. He's actually quite funny. Unlike HG who sounds a lot like that
very whiny comic who's name escapes me.

HG's most useless posts are when he accuses Americans of things that people
are doing all over the world, even in Canada. I recall the big hubbub he
tried to start with copper and other metals thefts. I just read an article
talking about how bad the problem is WORLDWIDE. Over 1/4 of the lead of a
lead-roofed church in England has been stolen by metal thieves. Apparently
in England, scrap dealers don't have to demand ID from scrap sellers.
Sooner or later, they'll get with the program.

--
Bobby G.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have to make a pun

The bathroom's the third door on the left. Oh, you mean a joke!

HomeGuy is my polar opposite. ^_^

I think he's a monopole. Very one sided.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
. com...
Robert Green wrote:
"Duesenberg" wrote in message

stuff snipped

so you are not helping at all

That about sums it up perfectly for HomeGuy. He's part of a very
specific class of people/usenet posters whose sole purpose in life
seems to be to tell everyone else that what they're doing is wrong.
Most people participate in Usenet to learn, share ideas and help
their fellow humans. But more than a few post to Usenet to fill in
the huge, gaping holes in their massive egos.

People often behave like this because they are insecure and need to
feel superior to people. The obvious clue in this case is the use of
the word "moron." It's basically a cry for attention. "Look at how
much smarter I am then everyone else!" What they're really saying is
"look at me, I want to be the center of attention so badly and I'll
even behave rudely to achieve it!" It seems pathetic to me that
someone would chose to achieve notoriety by revealing their
insecurity so nakedly.

The only way they can feel good about themselves is by trying to tear
other people down. Since HomeGuy doesn't use Google, it's really no
skin off his nose if anyone else does. What's important to him is to
draw attention to himself in a way that makes him feel smarter than
anyone else. But "feeling" smart and "being" smart are two very
different things that people who aren't *really* smart readily
confuse. A truly intelligent person could instantly see that trying
to be smart by acting dumb is a really poor and ultimately
self-defeating strategy.

It's too bad that HomeGuy's actions tend to make people think
negatively about our northern neighbors.

I think the word you're looking for is *troll*g

That's the problem with having started my writing career getting paid 1/2 a
cent a word. My journalism professor kept saying "don't use ten words when
one will do" but my wallet kept saying "ten words are worth 4.5 cents more
than one!"

"Troll" will do very nicely. (0:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" gonjah.net wrote in message news:MqOdnXlhxatOP-

stuff snipped

I just view it as noise. Usually when you want a answer (not necessarily
correct) to something this is a pretty good group. A few take it too
far. I kill-file and move on. YMMV

I am very grateful for some of the advice I've gotten here.

Ditto. I meant to review all the good advice I've gotten over the years in
this group and others. It's always a good place to sanity check ideas and
to make sure that I've covered all the bases. It's also a great way to make
sure I'm up-to-date on the latest technology. The downside is that I've
spent multiple thousands of dollars on things people have reviewed that I
"just had to have." (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

HG's most useless posts are when he accuses Americans of things
that people are doing all over the world

Like illegally invading other countries on the pretext of "preemtive
war" and performing political assassinations and killing civillians in
cold blood and committing war crimes and crimes against humanity in
other countries and trying to destroy the global economy several times
over the past decade.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:50:53 AM UTC-6, Steve B wrote:
"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Steve B wrote:

[...]

His daily life is devoted to being a self-righteous dinosaur.
He would like Google-groups to disappear so that only
dedicated news server users would prevail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/01/12 10:01 AM, Home Guy wrote:

But note also that if you want to focus on restrictive work-place
situations, you also have to take into account that if employers have
such restrictive computer-use policies that they may also have blocking
mechanisms at the network level that prevent users from accessing
time-wasting sites such as facebook and twitter. Such blocks might also
include google-groups, yahoo groups, etc.

The key word here is "might", and I can speak with 100% confidence on
this issue.

There are certain companies that block access to just about any site
that could possibly be used as a "download' site, including tinypic,
PhotoBucket, etc., any and all webmail sites, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
yet do not block Google Groups access.

Imagine being able to access a.h.r yet not be able to access any links
to pictures that a poster might include in their post.

However, nothing in any of your arguments - both good and bad - required
the use of the word "moron" in your subject line.

If you are calling all users of GG "morons", then you are simply being
belligerent and showing your juvenile side.

If you are not calling all users of GG "morons" because you accept the
fact that some users only have access to usnet via GG, then your
original post is faulty.

Since *all* GG posts are not making through to nntp newsreaders - not
just those of the "morons" - you only addressed a subset of GG users.

The point here is that there was no need for the use of the word moron,
especially if used under the guise of trying to be helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2012 10:08 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have to make a pun

The bathroom's the third door on the left. Oh, you mean a joke!

HomeGuy is my polar opposite. ^_^

I think he's a monopole. Very one sided.

--
Bobby G.

I was a physics major. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Home Guy wrote:
Ron wrote:

Considering that you are using Windows 95 and don't own a cell
phone.............

Windows 98 SE with KernelEx.

So what would you conclude - "considering that" ?

And yes, I don't own a cell phone. What of it? Does it mean I'm not
easily influenced by peer pressure? Does it mean I'm not influenced by
the addictive nature of texting or having an irrational need to feel
"connected" ? Does it mean I make wise decisions as to how I spend (or
save) my money?

It means you ARE old fashioned and living in the past in both cases.

My cell phone is only ten dollars a month more than what a landline with
unlimited long distance would cost me. And, I can use my cell phone
anywhere. Kinda comes in handy in case of an emergency. I rarely use
text messaging. Got over that in the late 90's/early 2000s when I had a
Nextel company cell, that had text messaging and also push-to-talk.

--
Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2012 10:03 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Some very interesting metal thefts are going on in Californiastan.
Illegal immigrants are suspected for a slightly unusual reason. ^_^

http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/53421518?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home/Garden|s

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6paz97v

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:08:49 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Emory provides 4 computers with Internet in the waiting area. You
have to use GG to read Usenet. I never log on using my account. I
highly suspect those computers could be infected and phishing for
passwords. So I can read Usenet from there, but I can make no posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:56:49 -0400, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 03/30/12 7:07 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 3/30/2012 6:02 PM, Home Guy wrote:
gonjah wrote:

I'm guessing you mean "at work." I know a lot of people use GG
at work.
Where their IP address is clearly visible when they post?

As opposed to any one of several free NNTP servers that obfuscate the IP
address?

Main problem being they can't (or don't want to) load the s/w on the
work computer.

True dat!

I can't load any software on my office machine. It's so locked down that
I can't even read or write to any external device such as a USB
thumbdrive or CD.

When I log into my office machine remotely, even the clipboards are
different. If I copy something from a "local" application (e.g. Word), I
can't paste it into a remote application or vice versus.

Heck, I feel lucky that I can still charge my cell phone via the USB
port at work.

Being *forced* to use GG doesn't make anyone a moron.

At my PPoE, they had the net so locked down you couldn't even get to GG. I
think that's true of my CPoE, as well. It's so locked down that I can't get
my work done. What does work is aggravatingly slow.

I fixed that, though. I carry my cell phone and a laptop to work. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:30:09 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:57:10 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:

If internet browsing is a way to keep them at their desks, then they
apparently do not have enough work to do, or are not doing the work they
have to do.

I may disagree a little with this thought.

I was a welder for a bandsaw blade company for 8 years. Orders often
came in the afternoon in a rush. There were many if not most mornings
where for 4 hours I had no blades to weld because nobody would order
before lunch.

Of course it was poor business to tell people that they can't have
blades in the morning if they were in a rush so my boss paid me many a
day to sit and wait for the odd morning order. Since I was the only guy
that welded blades he always wanted me available at the shop, just in
case. And he was willing to pay me for that and the customers rewarded
him (and me) in the end. But sometimes it was just palin boring and
mind numbing sweeping the floors, just waiting for the fax machine to
spit out an order.

Fireman are like that. Paid to wait to be called, and hopefully they
never get called cause when a fireman is asked to work, somebody is
either losing a life or a home and that's not good.

Good examples, but pretty unusual.
My son is a mechanic, and when it's slow the guys in his shop goof off
on the net. It's all up to what management tolerates.
Hell, I had one job as a heat treater on the carburizer crew at IH
where I slept a couple hours each shift. On a big chair with my feet
propped on a machinist's chest.
My foremen often tapped my shoulder to wake me up when passing out
paychecks.
Of course these aren't desk workers.
I was a desk worker for years, and to me going on the internet at work
was goofing off. I didn't do it.
Same with reading the newspaper at my desk.
I always found work that I was paid for to do. Paid very well.
Some of my managers thought differently, and browsed the net, bought
and sold stuff on eBay, etc., at work.
Even then, there's desk work and there's desk work.
Some at a desk can only do their work in spurts.
It's all up to management, job demand, and/or personal ethics.

I'm only paid for 40hrs per week, though work closer to 60. If I surf during
my lunch, is it really a big deal? Yes, I use my own resources. The only
thing the company supplies is a little power to charge my cell phone and
laptop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote

Private citizens simply limit what they wish to see; they cannot shut
people up, which is what "censorship" is.

--
Tegger

I beg to differ. I once did not speak to an ex-wife for nine weeks and five
days when I was married to her. She didn't like to be interrupted while
talking.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:14:48 -0400, "
wrote:

If I surf during
my lunch, is it really a big deal? Yes, I use my own resources.

A lesbian decided to report me for reading a newspaper on the job and
eating pizza.

I was in the control center enjoying myself.

Then some wet behind the ear person asked me why I was reading on the
job.

"I don't start 'till four o'clock?"

Some of these people wore the same suit every Tuesday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 16:37:03 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I beg to differ. I once did not speak to an ex-wife for nine weeks and five
days when I was married to her. She didn't like to be interrupted while
talking.

.... and that's a fact, jack!

Try to convince one otherwise. As long as I live, I will never know a
cure for women. It jest don't seem natural.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

At least they're not being melted down. That gives some hope that the
original owners can get their tubas back. I really despise the thieves that
take historically valuable stuff and melt it down for a fraction of its
worth. Too bad you can't melt down and recycle criminal personalities.
IIRC, there was an episiode of Babylon Five where they did just that - but
vigilantes hunted down and killed the "erased" guy anyway.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:10:11 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Too bad you can't melt down and recycle criminal personalities.

ow, ow, ow... I have some ideas...!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2012 1:10 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

I finally, actually got to watch all the episodes online a few years
ago. Now, I rarely watch broadcast or cable/sat TV because of my high
speed data connection and rather large monitors. I may have a half dozen
computers running at the same time here engaged in simple things like
taking over the world but usually I'm watching movies or TV shows on MY
schedule. I can't recall the last time I went to a movie theater because
I'm so used to watching movies online, even the newest ones. Before you
call me a slime ball, I'm disabled to a point where I can't sit through
a movie in a theater anyway and tomorrow, I'll be on a roof with another
disabled fellow straightening out some commercial refrigeration and AC
equipment. If I can get everything done tomorrow, it will be next week
before I can recover enough to work again. Darn! Everybody I work with
has something physically wrong but at least most of them are sane. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 00:09:57 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Mar 30, 10:52Â*pm, Home Guy wrote:
Just thought that you might want to know that since Tuesday this week,
all of you Klowns (that don't know how to use a proper usenet client
paired with any two-bit REAL usenet server) that if you use
google-groups to access (read and post) to usenet, that your posts
haven't been leaving the google server and hence all the rest of us that
use REAL NNTP servers haven't been seeing your posts.

So if you throw a tantrum and post a wise-ass response to this - we
won't see it.

Is that so?

Yep. You're 4 days later for me. Not nearly long enough.
How's it feel to converse barely faster than cargo by ship?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

I'm really surprised that he doesn't have one of those sig lines that list
their expensive computer by name, model, and serial number. Makes it hard
for those who configure their own computers, or have them built from
component parts, and which will "blow the doors off" regular computers. Or
those of us who just use what we got.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

"Home Guy" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

He is still using Windows 98...... seriously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote

He is still using Windows 98...... seriously.

Are you saying that he is using it in a serious studious manner, or is it
that you are saying that you are positive that he is still using it?

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 2, 6:23*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ron" wrote

He is still using Windows 98...... seriously.

Are you saying that he is using it in a serious studious manner, or is it
that you are saying that you are positive that he is still using it?

Steve ;-)

He confirmed it in this thread when I mistakenly said he was using
Windows 95.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 2, 9:23*pm, gregz wrote:
Ron wrote:

He is still using Windows 98...... seriously.

I have one computer, dual boot win98 se, win 2k. Win 98 is very nice, it's
just that some current things will not handle it.
I'm frustrated at win 7 64 bit, and vista. Would rather go back to xp.

What don't you like about W7?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Robert Green wrote:

HG's most useless posts are when he accuses Americans of things
that people are doing all over the world

Like illegally invading other countries on the pretext of "preemtive
war"

Weren't Canadian forces fighting with us, shoulder to shoulder? I'm not
sure what we did was pre-emptive warfare. The pretext was taking WMD out of
the hands of a lunatic. Pretty much the same game as it is today.

and performing political assassinations and killing civillians in
cold blood and committing war crimes and crimes against humanity in
other countries

Like the Romans, Britons, Saracens, Russians, Turks, Iraqis, Chinese,
Japanese, Germans, Spanish, France, Vikings and just about every powerful
group of people before us? Can we help it if every time some crisis lights
up in the world, people outside the US clamor "What is America going to do
about it!?" Personally, I'd be happy to say "nothing, hash out your own
issues." More importantly, how does your attitude and calling people morons
help convert the attitudes of Americans who continually indicate their
desire to play world cop by electing politicians that do so? That's the
only place change will come from.

and trying to destroy the global economy several times over the past

decade.

We had lots of help from Europe and the Chinese. No one's clean in the
world of high finance. Some are just less dirty than others.

Propose a path to a better world and I'd have a lot more positive things to
say.

--
Bobby G.