Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Department poles they use to remove boards

When the fire departments are putting out fires they have long poles
with a hook on the end to grab and remove boards.

In the process of demolishing an old house, I could use one of them. I
suspect the hooks are sold separately and are put onto long dowels.

Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called? I want
to see if I can get such a thing online. They are not sold at the local
stores. If I cant get them, I can probably get the local machine shop
to make me a hook, but I need to see a photo so I know what they look
like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:

Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called?

Just to get the discussion going: is it possible what you're seeing is a
"gaff"?

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

My old department called them "pike poles"
http://www.fdcrescue.com/Apollo_Main.htm

I'm sure you can buy as many, online, as you desire and can afford.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
When the fire departments are putting out fires they have long poles
with a hook on the end to grab and remove boards.

In the process of demolishing an old house, I could use one of them. I
suspect the hooks are sold separately and are put onto long dowels.

Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called? I want
to see if I can get such a thing online. They are not sold at the local
stores. If I cant get them, I can probably get the local machine shop
to make me a hook, but I need to see a photo so I know what they look
like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be local dialect, but near me it's called a "halligan" after chief
Halligan.

And, this web site calls them Hooligans. http://www.fire-end.com/Tools.htm

I wonder if anyone (except me) remembers Chief Halligan's three rules for
fire fighting? One "attaboy" for anyone who remembers all three.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"John McGaw" wrote in message

Possibly a 'hook pike'? I've never seen any that were more than about 5 or
6 feet long though. There is a shorter tool sometimes called a 'hooligan
bar' which is used to force entry through and pry apart almost anything but
that is even shorter and I don't see any way one could be extended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:13:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My old department called them "pike poles"
http://www.fdcrescue.com/Apollo_Main.htm

I'm sure you can buy as many, online, as you desire and can afford.

Christopher A. Young

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, the Pike Pole is what I was looking
for. It helps to know the name.....

Because this house of partly collapsed, I need a way to grab boards that
are still up on higher places, as well as those that have fallen into
the basement, but are still on top of the lowest floor which now sits at
a 45 deg. angle, with one end still on the foundation, and the rest in
the basement.

Little by little I'm getting this place torn down. Unless it rains, an
entire wall with tall gable is going to come down tomorrow, which will
bring down the highest part of the building still standing. This wall
is about 20ft. tall. I have a steel cable wrapped around the whole
wall, and another 50ft. of cable across the lawn, so I'm 50 feet away.
I'm looking forward to this part. Hook my tractor to the thing and
bring it down, along with about 8 feet of the back wall, which I left
attached to keep the wall standing. I cut away the rest of that back
wall with my chainsaw. With any luck that remaining part of the back
wall will come down with the rest of it.

Actually it's kind of fun tearing this place down, except for the
cleanup afterwards. Yesterday I pushed the brick chimney down by hand.
I didn't think that was possible till it hit the ground. It was leaning
toward the rear, and I just gave it a hard shove and down it came.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*How about posting some pictures of the process?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Safety is a good thing. Overnight, I've remembered something. The advice is
(wearing helmet with face protection) poke up, look up. Pull down, look
down. The idea being that when you're pulling down wood, you want as much
face protection as possible. So, you pull the face shield down, and also
tilt your head down, so the face shield does the most good.

You likely know to look for nails, before chain sawing. One nail will dull
your saw instantly. Same with rocks, gravel, and tree roots.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-28, wrote:

like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

As an ex-fireman, I can assure you they are named a pike pole and are
marketed as same. You can purchase them as one piece or in separate
parts:

http://www.edarley.com/firefighting-...cue/pike-poles

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2012-03-28, wrote:

like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

As an ex-fireman, I can assure you they are named a pike pole and are
marketed as same. You can purchase them as one piece or in separate
parts:

http://www.edarley.com/firefighting-...cue/pike-poles

nb

And that the Hooligan Bar is really a Halligan Bar. (Although there is
probably some reason to call it that, too-grin).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-29, Kurt Ullman wrote:

As an ex-fireman, I can assure you they are named a pike pole and are
marketed as same. You can purchase them as one piece or in separate
parts:

http://www.edarley.com/firefighting-...cue/pike-poles

nb

And that the Hooligan Bar is really a Halligan Bar. (Although there is
probably some reason to call it that, too-grin).

I was a firefighter in the USAF and in '66 stationed in Libya NA,
during the Six-Day War. At one time during that dustup, we had
reports enraged Libyans were about to storm the walls of our airbase.
Firefighters are not armed, so we hadda grab whatever was available.
I grabbed a pike pole, a lethal piece of hardware, pikemen once making
up a large part of any Middle Ages army. I'm happy to report, the
attack never materialized.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

When the fire departments are putting out fires they have long poles
with a hook on the end to grab and remove boards. . . .
Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called?

Well one of the two classes of vehicle (and crew) used by the New
York Fire Department is "Hook and Ladder." Perhaps they call hooks "hooks."

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2012 9:57 AM, notbob wrote:
snip...
I was a firefighter in the USAF and in '66 stationed in Libya NA,
during the Six-Day War. At one time during that dustup, we had
reports enraged Libyans were about to storm the walls of our airbase.
Firefighters are not armed, so we hadda grab whatever was available.
I grabbed a pike pole, a lethal piece of hardware, pikemen once making
up a large part of any Middle Ages army. I'm happy to report, the
attack never materialized.

nb

Hey, I was at an officially non-existent location in Pakistan during that
fun time. In theory we had the Pakistani military protecting us and, they
assured us, had nothing to worry about despite the screaming armed mob
outside the walls. I figured that the guards needed guards. Me, I kept an
automatic under my pillow when I went to sleep despite USAF regulations to
the contrary. Sometimes it is useful being in a country where one can buy
any weapon from a slingshot to heavy artillery with no questions asked...

http://6937th.50megs.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-29, John McGaw wrote:

the contrary. Sometimes it is useful being in a country where one can buy
any weapon from a slingshot to heavy artillery with no questions asked...

Likewise, we had an excellent on-base gun club, but it would have
almost impossible to conceal a weapon of any kind in the common
bunkroom of our firestation. Besides, this was back when Libya was an
extremely poor nation and before every other Muslim male, regardless
of age, was packing an AK47. If the screaming hoards had come over
the wall, they no doubt would have been armed with weapons even less
lethal that a 6' pike pole. I can imagine how the situation would
have been drastically different in your time/place.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:08:43 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

When the fire departments are putting out fires they have long poles
with a hook on the end to grab and remove boards. . . .
Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called?

Well one of the two classes of vehicle (and crew) used by the New
York Fire Department is "Hook and Ladder." Perhaps they call hooks "hooks."

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

One of the sites that I went to for "pike pole" said the reason for the
words "Hook and Ladder" was named as such because of the HOOK on the
pike pole, and obviously the ladder is self explanitory.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote in message

Little by little I'm getting this place torn down......,

Actually it's kind of fun tearing this place down, except for the
cleanup afterwards. Yesterday I pushed the brick chimney down by hand.
I didn't think that was possible till it hit the ground. It was leaning
toward the rear, and I just gave it a hard shove and down it came.

Hopefully the chimney came down better than this silo did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDIxwg6SL4 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
wrote in message

Little by little I'm getting this place torn down......,

Actually it's kind of fun tearing this place down, except for the
cleanup afterwards. Yesterday I pushed the brick chimney down by hand.
I didn't think that was possible till it hit the ground. It was leaning
toward the rear, and I just gave it a hard shove and down it came.

Hopefully the chimney came down better than this silo did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDIxwg6SL4 .

Ouch !
Hope he was wearing a hard hat, safety glasses and safety boots...
:-L