Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492

Default Fastest Way to Remove Old Pine Deck Boards

I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.
Looking forward to your ideas!
Thank you very much for your help!
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

frank1492 wrote:
I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.
Looking forward to your ideas!
Thank you very much for your help!
Frank

i like a 48" gorilla bar

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

frank1492 wrote:
I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.

Cut them with a circular saw parallel to the joists (about 2" away).
You should then be able to pull them up easily by hand. I do this
between every joist, it is a few minutes of cutting that makes pulling
them up much easier/quicker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:07:45 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.

I like old lumber, so I'd go for a nail puller. I have a punch for
those that won't pull.

If the lumber was really not worth saving-- or if I was in a hurry-
I'd use my reciprocating saw to cut them all off just to the left of
each 2x6 and pull them by hand. [I'm left handed-- maybe the right
side works better for some folks.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko

wrote:

I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.
Looking forward to your ideas!
Thank you very much for your help!
Frank

http://www.mcfeelys.com//product.asp?pid=DDW-0001

decking removal tool

dickm

How do I stain this deck properly. Toller Home Repair 20 May 23rd 06 04:38 AM
Waterproof Deck Surface HarryS Home Repair 3 May 12th 06 11:12 AM
Lifting sagging deck Don Phillipson Home Ownership 4 April 13th 06 01:35 PM
Pine Boards John UK diy 1 March 17th 04 07:09 PM
Wooden Floor Adam UK diy 17 November 8th 03 01:57 PM