DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fastest Way to Remove Old Pine Deck Boards (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/164046-fastest-way-remove-old-pine-deck-boards.html)

frank1492 June 2nd 06 03:07 AM

Fastest Way to Remove Old Pine Deck Boards

I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.
Looking forward to your ideas!
Thank you very much for your help!
Frank

marson June 2nd 06 03:21 AM

frank1492 wrote:
I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.
Looking forward to your ideas!
Thank you very much for your help!
Frank

i like a 48" gorilla bar

RayV June 2nd 06 02:00 PM

frank1492 wrote:
I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.

Cut them with a circular saw parallel to the joists (about 2" away).
You should then be able to pull them up easily by hand. I do this
between every joist, it is a few minutes of cutting that makes pulling
them up much easier/quicker.

Jim Elbrecht June 2nd 06 02:32 PM

Fastest Way to Remove Old Pine Deck Boards

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:07:45 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.

I like old lumber, so I'd go for a nail puller. I have a punch for
those that won't pull.

If the lumber was really not worth saving-- or if I was in a hurry-
I'd use my reciprocating saw to cut them all off just to the left of
each 2x6 and pull them by hand. [I'm left handed-- maybe the right
side works better for some folks.]

Jim

dicko June 3rd 06 03:55 PM

wrote:

I am replacing some old 5/4X8" pine deck boards which are nailed to
2X6's. I'd like your favorite methods for doing this, as the time
consumed will be largely the removal of the old boards, not the
replacement of the new ones.
Looking forward to your ideas!
Thank you very much for your help!
Frank