Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Department poles they use to remove boards

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, the Pike Pole is what I was looking
for. It helps to know the name.....

Because this house of partly collapsed, I need a way to grab boards that
are still up on higher places, as well as those that have fallen into
the basement, but are still on top of the lowest floor which now sits at
a 45 deg. angle, with one end still on the foundation, and the rest in
the basement.

Little by little I'm getting this place torn down. Unless it rains, an
entire wall with tall gable is going to come down tomorrow, which will
bring down the highest part of the building still standing. This wall
is about 20ft. tall. I have a steel cable wrapped around the whole
wall, and another 50ft. of cable across the lawn, so I'm 50 feet away.
I'm looking forward to this part. Hook my tractor to the thing and
bring it down, along with about 8 feet of the back wall, which I left
attached to keep the wall standing. I cut away the rest of that back
wall with my chainsaw. With any luck that remaining part of the back
wall will come down with the rest of it.

Actually it's kind of fun tearing this place down, except for the
cleanup afterwards. Yesterday I pushed the brick chimney down by hand.
I didn't think that was possible till it hit the ground. It was leaning
toward the rear, and I just gave it a hard shove and down it came.

*How about posting some pictures of the process?