Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to cut a slot in the bottom of a U-shaped piece of aluminum flat bar?

"John Doe" wrote in message
.com...
The question is, how to cut the slot in the U-shaped flat bar?

Came up with IMO a cool way to attach that U-shaped aluminum flat
bar fork (mentioned in my prior post) to the wide piece of
aluminum flat bar that will be used as the skate wheel fork. Just
cut a slot in the bottom of the U. Stick it on the wide piece of
flat bar. Then drill a small hole for a bolt at the very bottom of
the U. And then put a bolt through the hole and squeeze the bottom
of the U together. The fork can't go anywhere. It could be
enhanced simply by cutting very short slots in wide piece of
aluminum flat bar, and it would be rock solid. I will include a
pic since it's probably not easy to understand even with a wordy
description.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

I guess a bandsaw might be useful to cut the slot in the U-shaped
fork, but I ain't got one. It would probably need a thick/odd
blade anyway, The slot needs to slide as snugly as possible onto
the wide piece of aluminum flat bar. And some some super glue will
keep it from any microscopic movement. It might take some time to
cut that slot, but I have time (and lots of hand tools).

I suppose a hack saw might do, with the U stuck upside down in a
vice. But that would just get it going, the slot would have to be
widened. Using some wider blade saw might help, slowly and very
carefully.

Thanks.

Here are a few ideas. Make the U-shaped part from 4 separate pieces: two
thinner U-shapes and two flat spacers that will leave a gap or slot at the
bottom where you want it. Assemble with counter-sunked screws and tapped
holes, or braze with propane torch and aluminum braze.

Or: cut the slot a little sloppy and oversized. Jig the large flat plate in
position and braze filling in the gap, use flux.

Or: make a jig with a slot in front and back to guide your hacksaw if it is
the right thickness.