Posted to alt.home.repair

Default If you iron men's dress shirts - please answer me this ('cuz I'mconfused)

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a dress shirt?

I already have (and hate) a small-sized wall-attached ironing board:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839211
It doesn't work well because the attached end is actually needed to
properly iron the front and especially the back of a men's cotton dress
shirt.

I bought (from Costco) a large-sized free-standing ironing board:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839192
It doesn't work well because the end that is actually needed to properly
iron the front and especially the back of a men's cotton dress shirt is
ruined by the presence of a 'shelf' for the iron.

WHAT AM I MISSING?
If you iron, answer me this please ...

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a shirt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-20, Martin C. wrote:

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a shirt?

No.

I learned to iron starched uniforms in the military and did it for
years for my own dress shirts. I've NEVER used the square end of the
ironing board. If you have figured out a way to ease yer ironnig
chores by using the square end, go for it. Whatever works for you.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly
(at least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a dress
shirt?

I already have (and hate) a small-sized wall-attached ironing board:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839211
It doesn't work well because the attached end is actually needed to
properly iron the front and especially the back of a men's cotton
dress shirt.

I bought (from Costco) a large-sized free-standing ironing board:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839192
It doesn't work well because the end that is actually needed to
properly iron the front and especially the back of a men's cotton
dress shirt is ruined by the presence of a 'shelf' for the iron.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

No iron shirts?

T shirts, sweaters, etc ?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/19/2012 9:10 PM, Martin C. wrote:

WHAT AM I MISSING?
If you iron, answer me this please ...

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a shirt?

It's been years (and will be many more, I hope , but Mom taught me and
I got thru ROTC and the days of oxford shirts before permanent press w/o
using the square end that way, no...

I suppose if your shirts would fit you could manage to make one less
movement, but as I was taught it's the end in the shoulder, slide over
to pick up the middle (and crease the placket neatly ), then the
other shoulder and finish across the back...depending on just how large
the shirt is would dictate how much gets covered each spot on the board
(as a percentage, anyway). Helps to be small in some ways altho never
thought of it in precisely those terms before...

HTH...

OBTW, Mom had a spring-loaded "wand" on the large end of the board that
held the iron cord up and out of the way. Never found another like it
but surely missed it while in school...that same one is still on the
board here now that have returned to the farm some 40+ years later altho
the old wooden board has long since been gone...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:16:04 -0400, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
WHAT AM I MISSING?

No iron shirts?

PS: I'm old school ... but the 'new school' ironing boards befuddle me as
to how one can iron WITHOUT one end of a two-ended board!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 02:21:50 +0000, notbob wrote:

If you have figured out a way to ease yer ironnig chores by
using the square end, go for it. Whatever works for you.

I put the entire back of the dress shirt over the square end of the
ironing board when I iron it.

For the front, I put the entire front half of the dress shirt on one half
the square end of the ironing board.

Since shoulders are squarish, the squarish end of the ironing board is
perfect for this.

Bearing in mind that the ironing board only has two ends, to negate the
use of one end seems crazy to me - but - that's why I asked.

Unfortunately, the Costco attachment is non-removable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:33:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

OBTW, Mom had a spring-loaded "wand" on the large end of the board that
held the iron cord up and out of the way

It wouldn't bother me so much that the end of the Costco board had that
non-removable steel attachment if having a square end wasn't the sole
reason I bought the board in the first place!

Of course, I can return it ... but I need to figure out best to
gracefully REMOVE that end-of-the-board attachment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Martin C. wrote:
[...]

(at least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a shirt?

Is it just me or does the wall mounted on look like it has a swivel
base mounted on it?
Pull it down and see if it does. If does, yougot both ends

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:52:16 -0600, twitter.****ter wrote:
NOBODY IRONS ANYMORE

If there is another way to get a cotton dress shirt wrinkle free and
creased just right, other than paying the $2 per day for starching and
laundering, I'd be all ears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:36:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

does the wall mounted on look like it has a swivel base
mounted on it?

I'd be ecstatic if it did because I wouldn't have to buy the second
ironing board.

But it doesn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

NOBODY IRONS ANYMORE (except yomama). Ask her!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2012 10:10 PM, Martin C. wrote:
[...]

No....use the narrow end and just rotate the shirt. Collar first,
inside of cuffs, outside of cuffs, sleeves, yoke, back, front.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martin C." wrote in message
Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a dress shirt?

My mom ran off with a truck driver when I was five, and I learned to iron
early in life. For Levis, we used those wire pants stretchers, which were
cool, cuz they put the creases in there.

When I iron a shirt, I have an order. A lot of it involves using the veed
end of the ironing board. For the back, I put the arm opening on to the
vee, and stretch it so I can iron the yoke of the shirt, and down the sleeve
a little. Then do the other side. With that ironed, I just iron in a
circle, moving the shirt each time to iron the flat parts of the front and
back. It won't all fit on there flat, but once you have the collar, yoke,
sleeves, and top of the shirt done, the flat part is all that's left.

My order: Collar, yoke (move it on the point to get one side at a time),
the cuffs, the sleeves (lay flat and fully extended on the big flat part of
the board), then the back.

You will have some bunching at the top of the shirt where the collar and
yoke are, but most of the rest of the shirt will fall flat on the biggest
part of the ironing board.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martin C." wrote in message

I put the entire back of the dress shirt over the square end of the
ironing board when I iron it.

For the front, I put the entire front half of the dress shirt on one half
the square end of the ironing board.

Since shoulders are squarish, the squarish end of the ironing board is
perfect for this.

Bearing in mind that the ironing board only has two ends, to negate the
use of one end seems crazy to me - but - that's why I asked.

The end of the ironing board is tapered because all men's
shirts and most women's dresses are narrower at the collar
than at the shoulders. All ironing boards have this feature,
even folding ones (hinged at the butt, this with only a
single end.) Iron rests at the square end of the board are
usually mounted a couple of inches lower than the top of
the board to enable using the square end (e.g. for fitted sheets.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 10:10*pm, "Martin C."
wrote:
[...]

The only things I have ever used the square end for is as a place to
hang the bunch of shirts that I'm about to iron and as the place to
put the iron down (without looking) as I move the shirt to it's next
position.

Everything is done on V end of the board, which is always to my left
since I iron with my right hand.

Collar first.
Right sleeve, then left sleeve.
Lower right front, then upper right front pulled over the V
Quick swipe over the right yoke
The back in 3 sections
Lower left front, then upper left front pulled over the V
Quick swipe over the left yoke.

On some shirts, the quick swipe over the left yoke puts a bit of
wrinkle in the upper left front, so when I put the shirt on the
hanger, I give it a quick blast of steam and the wrinkles disappear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 8:51*am, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Steve, my son, is that you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Everything is done on V end of the board, which is always to my left
since I iron with my right hand.

Whatever the order you prefer, I agree that 100% of the ironing goes on at
the V end of the board. I wonder why they even put any other style on the
other end, as if they would have put another V, it would have simply made it
ambidextrous.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 7:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

Everything is done on V end of the board, which is always to my left
since I iron with my right hand.

Whatever the order you prefer, I agree that 100% of the ironing goes on at
the V end of the board. *I wonder why they even put any other style on the
other end, as if they would have put another V, it would have simply made it
ambidextrous.

Steve

If you turn the board around, it is ambidextrous.

SWMBO sets it up the opposite way I do since she's left handed.

I do like the wide end for the 2 reasons I mentioned:

1 - Hanging things
2 - More room for the iron, lint brush, ironing cloth, etc.

The wide end is also good for doing tablecloths and other large flat
items.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 7:38 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

Everything is done on V end of the board, which is always to my left
since I iron with my right hand.

Whatever the order you prefer, I agree that 100% of the ironing goes on at
the V end of the board. I wonder why they even put any other style on the
other end, as if they would have put another V, it would have simply made
it
ambidextrous.

Steve

If you turn the board around, it is ambidextrous.

SWMBO sets it up the opposite way I do since she's left handed.

I do like the wide end for the 2 reasons I mentioned:

1 - Hanging things
2 - More room for the iron, lint brush, ironing cloth, etc.

The wide end is also good for doing tablecloths and other large flat

* * * *

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, but it all tastes like chicken.

Lots of ways to arrive at the same destination.

Steve
items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:47:54 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

Iron rests at the square end of the board are usually mounted a couple
of inches lower than the top of the board to enable using the square end
(e.g. for fitted sheets.)

Not the Costco ironing board though.

The iron rest is flush with the board.

If it only had some room, I could still iron the shirt backs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:38:44 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Everything is done on V end of the board

For me, I hang the "shoulders" of the shirt across the square end.

I first iron the back that way (which gets the entire back in one fell
swoop); then I do the two fronts the same way.

I can't even imagine using the triangular end of the board to fit the
square shoulder of the iron - but then again - I never took ironing
lessons.

Like this:
http://artofmanliness.com/2011/04/06/how-to-iron-shirt/

However, these videos all use the triangular end for the back & front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyMpWDJ85jY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SThmH...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK6iQj-I_0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn73J...eature=related

I can't believe they're all doing it that inefficiently but the videos
are predominant in using the triangular end for the back & front of the
shirt!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martin C." wrote i

I can't even imagine using the triangular end of the board to fit the
square shoulder of the iron - but then again - I never took ironing
lessons.

I can't believe they're all doing it that inefficiently but the videos
are predominant in using the triangular end for the back & front of the
shirt!

I use the pointy end and stick it down the sleeve. I iron that portion that
would be upper left and upper right chest. Then, spin it around to do the
two front halves, then around again to do the back. I intentionally do the
collar, yoke, cuffs, and sleeves first, as this gives the shirt a little
stiffness that helps through the rest of the process. Guess I'll have to
youtube myself ironing a shirt. My MIL does it for me now. It is so great
to just go to the laundry area rack and pick up nicely ironed shirts. She's
good. Maybe I'll youtube her, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

However, these videos all use the triangular end for the back & front:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyMpW...eature=related

I can't believe they're all doing it that inefficiently but the videos
are predominant in using the triangular end for the back & front of the
shirt!

I can't see the artofmanliness videos at work, and I haven't read the
entire text, but I can cenrtainly comment on something that popped out
at me.

I can't believe that:

1 - He thinks that ironing sleeves is "tricky"
2 - That he does them last

1 - It's really not hard at all to get the 2 layers of fabric flat amd
smooth, in fact it's really, really easy.
2 - I'm not going to iron the rest of the shirt and then get it all
wrinkled by dragging it around the board while I position the shirt 4
more times to do the sleeves.

If you do the sleeves first, they basically just hang there while you
do the rest of the shirt with no danger of them getting wrinkled
again.

If the rest of his text is anything like the sleeve portion, I'll
pass.

For whatever reason, I'm the designated ironer in my house for a lot
of things, including SWMBO's and the 2 SWMBO Jrs' clothes on many
occasions. "DAAAAD! I'm late! Can you iron my blouse? Pleeeease?"

Who could resist. ;-)

If you haven't spent any time trying to iron women's clothes, with all
the nooks, crannies, pleats and wierd materials, you haven't ironed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:56:47 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you haven't spent any time trying to iron women's clothes, with all
the nooks, crannies, pleats and wierd materials, you haven't ironed.

Luckily, I haven't ironed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-20, Martin C. wrote:

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a shirt?

No.

I learned to iron starched uniforms in the military and did it for
years for my own dress shirts. I've NEVER used the square end of the
ironing board. If you have figured out a way to ease yer ironnig
chores by using the square end, go for it. Whatever works for you.

I have never used an Ironing board in my life 45+ years ironing my shirts
Old table in basement laundry area covered by a folded old blanket, covered
by a folded old sheet, is my standard layout.
My grandmother taught me how at 15, and she never used or owned an ironing
board either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Martin C. wrote:
[...]

I have no expertise on ironing, but I do on ironed shirts.

Dress shirts should be heavily starched, very white, and ironed to
perfection. Over the years, I've found the little hole-in-the-wall Chinese
laundries do a superb job.

You may remember Richard Gephardt, congressman from Missouri. I seldom
agreed with his political views but I seriously admired his shirts: Crisp
and ironed to to the ultimate limit. I bet he had ten of them in his office
and changed them every hour.

If I could be impressed by a liberal Democrat, on any level, you have to
assume whatever impressed me was outstanding. I really liked his shirts.