Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default If you iron men's dress shirts - please answer me this ('cuz I'm confused)

On Mar 19, 10:10*pm, "Martin C."
wrote:
Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a dress shirt?

I already have (and hate) a small-sized wall-attached ironing board:
*PICTUhttp://picturepush.com/public/7839211
It doesn't work well because the attached end is actually needed to
properly iron the front and especially the back of a men's cotton dress
shirt.

I bought (from Costco) a large-sized free-standing ironing board:
*PICTUhttp://picturepush.com/public/7839192
It doesn't work well because the end that is actually needed to properly
iron the front and especially the back of a men's cotton dress shirt is
ruined by the presence of a 'shelf' for the iron.

WHAT AM I MISSING?
If you iron, answer me this please ...

Q: Don't you NEED the squarish end of the ironing board to properly (at
least easily) iron the front and especially the back of a shirt?

The only things I have ever used the square end for is as a place to
hang the bunch of shirts that I'm about to iron and as the place to
put the iron down (without looking) as I move the shirt to it's next
position.

Everything is done on V end of the board, which is always to my left
since I iron with my right hand.

Collar first.
Right sleeve, then left sleeve.
Lower right front, then upper right front pulled over the V
Quick swipe over the right yoke
The back in 3 sections
Lower left front, then upper left front pulled over the V
Quick swipe over the left yoke.

On some shirts, the quick swipe over the left yoke puts a bit of
wrinkle in the upper left front, so when I put the shirt on the
hanger, I give it a quick blast of steam and the wrinkles disappear.