Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Haven't turned AC on in 6 years, should I have it checked out first?

With the warm temps in the midwest,I am tempted to turn on my AC. Problem is I never use it, so not sure if I risk breaking something by turning it on. Should I get it serviced first?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 3:38*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 3/19/2012 1:45 PM, wrote:

With the warm temps in the midwest,I am tempted to turn on my AC. Problem is I never use it, so not sure if I risk breaking something by turning it on. Should I get it serviced first?

Heck, just make sure there are no sticks or tree branches stuck in the
outdoor fan and give it a try. ^_^

TDD

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 3/19/2012 1:45 PM, wrote:

With the warm temps in the midwest,I am tempted to turn on my AC. Problem is I never use it, so not sure if I risk breaking something by turning it on. Should I get it serviced first?

Heck, just make sure there are no sticks or tree branches stuck in the
outdoor fan and give it a try. ^_^

TDD

+1

Agree. Then if it doesn't work have it serviced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2012 2:46 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:39:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:38 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 3/19/2012 1:45 PM, wrote:

With the warm temps in the midwest,I am tempted to turn on my AC. Problem is I never use it, so not sure if I risk breaking something by turning it on. Should I get it serviced first?

Heck, just make sure there are no sticks or tree branches stuck in the
outdoor fan and give it a try. ^_^

TDD

+1

Agree. Then if it doesn't work have it serviced.

I've a little fact that may strike you as a bit odd but ball bearing fan
motors are recommended by manufacturers for rooftop AC units because the
wind will cause the fans to spin slowly all the time. The
slow rotation does not get sleeve bearings in motors warm enough for
the lubrication to work and the shafts can and will seize. Whenever I
replace a condenser fan motor on any roof be it in an AC system or
refrigeration unit, I always replace it with a ball bearing motor. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:45*am, wrote:
With the warm temps in the midwest,I am tempted to turn on my AC. Problem is I never use it, so not sure if I risk breaking something by turning it on. Should I get it serviced first?

always heard to run without load to get the bearings relubed.

based on that, I'd run a bit, stop, let sit long time, repeat and
repeat until comfortable with it running constantly

I did this on an expensive piece of gear that had set 10 years, and so
far still working perfectly with use every week.

But that came from YEARS ago. Bearings are probably better now
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a good idea to turn the power on, 24 hours before you run the AC. Gives
the crankcase heater a chance to do its thing. And, TDD has a good idea, see
if the outdoor unit is clear.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org