Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Limestone steps be cleaned

My neighbor recently had her stoop replaced with limestone and
bricks...nice job, neatly done. But now she seems to be let down by
the fact that when washing off some of the left over debris made by
the workers, it seems to leave mild stain. The workers said it would
be clear once it dries up. Well there has been 2 sunny days and the
wash off seems to not have worked. Can they be cleaned with a certain
detergent or chemical?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 12:56*pm, Anthony wrote:
My neighbor recently had her stoop replaced with limestone and
bricks...nice job, neatly done. But now she seems to be let down by
the fact that when washing off some of the left over debris made by
the workers, it *seems to leave mild stain. The workers said it would
be clear once it dries up. Well there has been 2 sunny days and the
wash off seems to not have worked. Can they be cleaned with a certain
detergent or chemical?

What will work best to try to remove it would likely
depend on what the stain is. For example, if it's rust
colored, I'd try one of the CLR type rust removers.
If it's something oil based, then a detergent type
cleaner. One of the concrete cleaners could be a choice as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:56:45 -0700 (PDT), Anthony
wrote:

My neighbor recently had her stoop replaced with limestone and
bricks...nice job, neatly done. But now she seems to be let down by
the fact that when washing off some of the left over debris made by
the workers, it seems to leave mild stain. The workers said it would
be clear once it dries up. Well there has been 2 sunny days and the
wash off seems to not have worked. Can they be cleaned with a certain
detergent or chemical?

[Presumed the stone is not sealed]

A few drops of liquid dish soap in a gallon of warm water. Then brush
with a straw broom or similar soft brush.

....Vinegar, lemon-based products and other acidic solutions may etch
untreated limestone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What will work best to try to remove it would likely
depend on what the stain is. For example, if it's rust
colored, I'd try one of the CLR type rust removers.
If it's something oil based, then a detergent type
cleaner. One of the concrete cleaners could be a choice as well.

I'd be careful with those chemicals. Limestone, like marble, is a form
of calcium carbonate and acid will (slowly) dissolve it. I would suggest
to call the workers (and their boss) back and have them fix things.
Hopefully final payment has not yet been made.

I haven't done it myself but my dad used to use ground limestone to
"clean up " limestone tombstones.

He would sprinkle the lime "dust" onto the stone and then brush it off
with a hard fiber bristle brush. The powered lime seemed to wick up
some of the stands.

Need to Have My Air Ducts Cleaned ABSteamatic Carpet Cleaning Services Home Repair 7 February 16th 11 06:42 AM
Getting the Ducts Cleaned Lexis Home Repair 7 December 12th 07 04:25 AM
Reasonable Price for set of 3 steps, was : Replace Dangerous Side Steps. mm Home Repair 2 March 27th 07 04:57 PM
Limestone Perri Morgan Home Repair 45 June 27th 06 06:36 PM
Limestone fireplace Chris Styles UK diy 3 February 24th 06 11:43 PM