Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default Limestone fireplace

Bought one about 6 months ago and have just got 'round to fitting it.

The crate it came in doesnt seem to contain any fixings, and there dont seem
to be any fixings points on it. Then I remembered that the one I removed was
more or less free standing.

Any thoughts about how I should assemble it? Each component is bloody heavy,
so it will probably okay just because of sheer weight, but then, it is in
several pieces, so not as stable as single piece surround.

I had thought about using some kind of adhesive (gripfil is my currect
favourite!) to stick it to the wall, but that seems a little vulgar.

Are the components meant to be glued together somehow?

Thanks

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Bought one about 6 months ago and have just got 'round to fitting it.

The crate it came in doesnt seem to contain any fixings, and there dont
seem to be any fixings points on it. Then I remembered that the one I
removed was more or less free standing.

Any thoughts about how I should assemble it? Each component is bloody
heavy, so it will probably okay just because of sheer weight, but then, it
is in several pieces, so not as stable as single piece surround.

I had thought about using some kind of adhesive (gripfil is my currect
favourite!) to stick it to the wall, but that seems a little vulgar.

Are the components meant to be glued together somehow?

The limestone surround I fitted had the side pieces screwed to the wall. Two
methods were provided, one where you lifted the side piece and dropped it on
a screw head poking out the wall and other method had the screw visible but
attached a bracket to the piece of brass used for fixing the first method.
The top peice (lintel ?) had a similar method of fixing to a screw heads in
the wall. Cardboard templates on the packing made it very easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nafuk

I have seen one fixed with polyurethane adhesive. It is rock solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Bought one about 6 months ago and have just got 'round to fitting it.

The crate it came in doesnt seem to contain any fixings, and there dont
seem to be any fixings points on it. Then I remembered that the one I
removed was more or less free standing.

Any thoughts about how I should assemble it? Each component is bloody
heavy, so it will probably okay just because of sheer weight, but then, it
is in several pieces, so not as stable as single piece surround.

I had thought about using some kind of adhesive (gripfil is my currect
favourite!) to stick it to the wall, but that seems a little vulgar.

Are the components meant to be glued together somehow?

Thanks

Chris

Yep! ... Glue to wall and each other.... hearth, side columns and top
(mantle) piece - the one I installed also had 'slip' pieces that fitted into
either side of the uprights and below the mantle part. These were to permit
adjustments between the side columns and the fire opening.

--

Brian