Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing rug over nice wood floor

I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 3:44*pm, "Doug" wrote:
I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. * I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? *Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? *I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

Well, at a minimum you'll have holes along the walls where they'll
nail down the tack strips and holes through the field where they'll
staple down the pad.

Age old advice often associated with this type of question:

Do what will make you (and SWMBO) comfortable for the next 10 years.

If you really like wall-to-wall carpeting, then put it in and worry
about the hardwood floors later. Life's too short to deny yourselves
the comfort of carpeting if that's what you really want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:02:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 12, 3:44*pm, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

I really didn't go into detail. I'm thinking of renting this home
out at least to begin with and would not allow pets. I just wondered
tho if the carpet covering the wood might cause the wood to dry out
after say 10 years or so... or some other such stuff. I never did
anything like this before tho I know it can be done. Just never heard
what happened to the wood flooring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:44*pm, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

what happened to the wood flooring.- Hide quoted text -

Have you considered how much damage 10 years worth of tenants will do
to the hardwood floor?

I will say that if something spills on the carpet and is not
completely dried quickly, odds are that there will be damage to the
floor's finish.

I've seen it happen with a large potted plant that sat in the corner
for years. The carpet looked fine but there was a white circle -
completely filled in - on the floor below it when the carpet was
pulled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:44*pm, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

I want to try to consider all scenarios. Almost sounds better to not
carpet it and take my chances with scuff marks, etc... .
Thanks DerbyDad for the enlightening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 12, 3:44 pm, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

If you're going to rent the house, why go to the expense of carpeting it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

Why ?
A beautiful wood floor is a selling point to buyer or tenant
And having a floor refinished is not that expensive

If the floor gets damaged and not regular wear and tear, ding the tenant for
refinishing.

Alternately put down a large area rug with a proper underpad that is NOT
wall-to-wall.
Same result, no nails staples in floor
When the tenant leaves throw the carpet and polish up the floor

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of renting this home
out at least to begin with and would not allow pets. I just wondered
tho if the carpet covering the wood might cause the wood to dry out
after say 10 years or so... or some other such stuff.

No: unless installed with an impermeable underlay, carpet will
have the same humidity as the room.

If concerned that tenants might damage a hardwood floor under
a carpet, lay plywood over the floor (cut to fit exactly without nails)
before you instal the carpet. Consult the carpet layer about the
thickness of plywood (so furring strirp nails do not reach the hardwoood.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2012 12:44 PM, Doug wrote:
I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

Either way, the renters will find a way to mess it up! We rent out the
place we used to live in. Has nice oak hardwood floors in part, nice old
growth fir floors in part and carpet in part. Renters have managed to
mess up all at various times. You can't win!

Most of the carpet is over old fir flooring. Renters let dogs run in the
house when they weren't home. Only one dog was allowed. Never imagined
they would have two big suckers. Poop and pee everywhere. Had to replace
all carpet and coat all wood floor under carpet with KILLS to contain
the stink. Then new pad and carpet. Renters never cleaned anything. Evicted.

The fir flooring seemed to fair the best. Oak stained pretty bad, but
sanded a lot of it out and refinished the bad spots.

You take your chances and see what you get. I would guess the bare
hardwood would be best. At least the renters can see the damage.

Be SURE to take LOTS of pictures of the house and floor.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:44:52 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

Thanks ALL for giving me food for thought. I prefer carpet to wood
for renters but it doesn't always work out the way I want, unless I
pay extra.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

From my experiences.

After 10 years, the floor will probably need refinishing once the
carpet is taken up. Spills that don't dry, wear from abrasion, holes
from the padding staples, etc. will take a toll.

Carpet is warmer on the feet, but it is also dirtier, even if it does
not show. Wood floors show dust faster and need frequent dusting or
mopping. Carpet offers some protection from pets, grit on shoes and
the like, but that stuff sits down in the fibers.

I'd consider room sized or area rugs over the wall to wall. It is
easier to roll up and trash if damaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:44 pm, "Doug" wrote:
I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

Well, at a minimum you'll have holes along the walls where they'll
nail down the tack strips and holes through the field where they'll
staple down the pad.

Age old advice often associated with this type of question:

Do what will make you (and SWMBO) comfortable for the next 10 years.

If you really like wall-to-wall carpeting, then put it in and worry
about the hardwood floors later. Life's too short to deny yourselves
the comfort of carpeting if that's what you really want.

I have seen almost no staples work very well in pad. Some go way overkill.

How about a cheap composite wood over waterproof pad.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 10:11*pm, gregz wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:44 pm, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

I would leave the current wood flooring. After the rentals are over,
you can cover it with brand-new carpeting, and in the meantime you can
put the money to some other use that you would enjoy more. If the
renters want to, they can buy area rugs. If the floors are damaged by
renters, they can be refinished at least once for much less than the
cost of replacing carpeting.