Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default installing rug over nice wood floor

On Mar 12, 4:12*pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:02:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:44*pm, "Doug" wrote:
I'm looking at a house to buy in a Houston suburb built about 8 years
ago which has nice wood floor in the living room. * I was wondering if
wanted to install wall to wall carpeting over the wood floor, will
that be harmful to the wood floor say 10 years later? *Any gotchas to
watch for if I decided to do this? *I suppose I might have to have a
door or two adjusted for the carpet.

Well, at a minimum you'll have holes along the walls where they'll
nail down the tack strips and holes through the field where they'll
staple down the pad.

Age old advice often associated with this type of question:

Do what will make you (and SWMBO) comfortable for the next 10 years.

If you really like wall-to-wall carpeting, then put it in and worry
about the hardwood floors later. Life's too short to deny yourselves
the comfort of carpeting if that's what you really want.

I really didn't go into detail. * I'm thinking of renting this home
out at least to begin with and would not allow pets. * I just wondered
tho if the carpet covering the wood might cause the wood to dry out
after say 10 years or so... *or some other such stuff. * I never did
anything like this before tho I know it can be done. *Just never heard
what happened to the wood flooring.- Hide quoted text -

Have you considered how much damage 10 years worth of tenants will do
to the hardwood floor?

I will say that if something spills on the carpet and is not
completely dried quickly, odds are that there will be damage to the
floor's finish.

I've seen it happen with a large potted plant that sat in the corner
for years. The carpet looked fine but there was a white circle -
completely filled in - on the floor below it when the carpet was
pulled.