Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Summer Projects!

Hello Experts! As winter comes to a close, I finally managed to get the remainder of my Christmas lights down off the house. While doing that, I was looking at the house and realized that a paint job is definitely needed this summer. The color of the house right now is a pale green with white trim. It has been this color for as long as I can remember, and I am tired of it! I want to change up to a deep red with white trim and put up some shutters, just to dress it up a bit.
I am also looking into changing out the soffit from plywood to perforated vinyl. While doing that, I also want to add recessed lighting to the underside of the soffit.
In addition to the above I am also looking into replacing my fallen fence in the back yard.
So as you can see, I am going to have a very busy spring and summer on my hands but have a few questions before starting the tasks.
First, when changing the color of the house from one extreme to another, I am concerned that it is going to take too many coats to cover. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a better paint more suited to minimizing paint coats and covering up imperfections.
I am also concerned with the shutters on one window. There is brick around that window and I'm not sure how to attach the shutters to the brick. I don't want to hurt the brick to badly, but really do want to install the shutters.
Has anyone had any experience installing recessed lighting in the soffit? I do have some electrical experience, but should I look into hiring an electrician?
I have included a picture of the house. I also included a picture of the house during Christmas. I had a light show and this picture shows all my lights on--Just for fun!
Thanks for any help.

http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0689.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 8:48*pm, wrote:
[...]

http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&curr....

You have a relatively small house, painting it a dark color will make
it look even smaller. That's fine if you are sure you won't be
selling it for many years, but if it were me, I would paint it a light
beige (boring I know) with contrasting red shutters.. That way, it
will be musch easoer to sell when the time comes. I'd go to Consumer
Reports to see which paints are best at hiding different colors

To attach shutters where there are none at the present time, you will
find it easier to use a carbide-tipped drill into the mortar and not
the bricks, unless the bricks are really in bad condition.

Lights in the soffit are not a big deal if you can get to them in the
attic, and have a spare circuit in your breaker box and a place to put
the timer where it is accessible. Of course, you have to run wiring
that will meet your local codes, no hidden uncovered junction boxes,
proper grounded wiring, etc..
Posted to alt.home.repair

.... a paint job is definitely needed....
First, when changing the color of the house from one extreme to another, I am concerned that it is going to take too many coats to cover.

If the present paint is in bad shape, you'll need to prime before
painting. Tint the primer. But don't skimp with your painting. The
primary purpose of painting is not (or should not be) for coloring.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 11, 11:21*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

snip

To attach shutters where there are none at the present time, you will
find it easier to use a carbide-tipped drill into the mortar and not
the bricks, unless the bricks are really in bad condition.

snip

Don't agree on mortar drilling. Yes, it is easier, but the downside is
that any disturbance of the mortar allows water penetration, causing
freeze-thaw damage. Over the years I have mounted all manner of things
to brick, electrical conduit, gutter downspouts, and shutters too.
Care must be taken not to use aggressive steel expansive devices which
will cause rust stains later and crack the brick. The soft lead plugs
work fine with todays stainless screws.
Most carbide bits today with a decent rotary hammer drill will make
short work of any common facing brick. Do it once, do it right.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob, thanks for the advice, I don't plan on selling the house anytime in the near future. I love the location, my neighbors are great, and frankly, I just love the house. I am merely doing these things for my own enjoyment and to see the house in a different color. If I don't like it, in another 4-5 years, I'll just paint over it!

As for the shutters, the brick is in good shape, but the mortar, as I found out with the chimney, may be becoming a bit soft. I may possibly need the chimney re bricked in the next five years. This is a common problem with houses in the development though. I may get an expert in to evaluate the situation and see whether or not the shutters will be a good idea, or to just leave the brick alone.

I haven't been up in the attic in about 10 years and can't honestly remember if there is good access to the eves or if it restricted. I would imagine them to be pretty clear as they are venting for the attic space, but as the house is pushing 50, its hard to say.

Sonny, would using a paint/primer in one do the trick? I was discussing it with a carpenter and he swears by it on the interior, but he had no experience with using it outside.
Thanks to all for the great advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:21 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

snip

To attach shutters where there are none at the present time, you will
find it easier to use a carbide-tipped drill into the mortar and not
the bricks, unless the bricks are really in bad condition.

snip

Don't agree on mortar drilling. Yes, it is easier, but the downside is
that any disturbance of the mortar allows water penetration, causing
freeze-thaw damage. Over the years I have mounted all manner of things
to brick, electrical conduit, gutter downspouts, and shutters too.
Care must be taken not to use aggressive steel expansive devices which
will cause rust stains later and crack the brick. The soft lead plugs
work fine with todays stainless screws.
Most carbide bits today with a decent rotary hammer drill will make
short work of any common facing brick. Do it once, do it right.

Joe

I was drilling two bricks to insert hooks. Both bricks broke loose. I had
to pl premium back in. The bit was fairly large, an impacted. I don't think
a little drill bit would loosen the brick.

I was thinking of adding an electric awning, but you have to attach it to
wood, not bricks.

Greg

A summer job: CH draining? Another John UK diy 10 August 12th 11 12:15 AM
Summer projects mac Metalworking 1 September 6th 10 08:39 PM
Summer Golan UK diy 3 April 26th 07 10:16 AM
Summer Golan UK diy 17 April 26th 07 01:02 AM
summer fan [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 23rd 06 11:42 PM