Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Rubber belting, where to buy (USA), etc

Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2012 7:53 PM, John Doe wrote:
Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.

Are you looking for something akin to conveyor belt material?

TDD
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:53*pm, John Doe wrote:
Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.

Questions lead to more questions! What are you using it for? The
only thing I've used round rubber belts for were turntables and sewing
machines. Have used a bunch of square belts for small-power stuff
like microwave oven stirrers and the like. At one time there was a
replacement plastic belting material that was round, the ends were
welded together with a small flame, I believe it was urethane. Only
have seen it in catalogs. And round leather belting had a vogue in
the distant past for running dental drills, I have one. If you want
it to replace existing belts, there's probably a substitute. There
are better power-transfer options these days for new designs.

You might see if there's something in a really old Machinery's
Handbook for what you're looking for.

Stan
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber
belts have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there
some rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley
that is twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Are you looking for something akin to conveyor belt material?

I might need round rubber belting that is non-reinforced. So that
the ends can be connected together to make the correct size belt.
Then again, the belt breaking could be very unpleasant since I am
planning to use it as an inline skate tank style tread. But I
would love to find out what it's like, so it can be tested
carefully at first.

The rubber that's used for skate wheels might do. I think it's
typical polyurethane. I think flexibility will affect rolling
resistance, like where the rubber goes around the end pulleys.
Flexibility varies with belt diameter. Apparently the polyurethane
belt diameter versus minimum pulley diameter looks something like
this.

3/32" 3/4"
1/8" 1"
3/16" 1 1/2"
1/4" 2"
5/16" 2 1/2"
3/8" 3"
1/2" 4"

Also, whether UHMW plastic pulleys will be good enough for the
wheels, or whether a bearing(s) is necessary. Apparently idler
pulleys include bearings. Or maybe something can be grooved and
pushed onto an ordinary skate bearing for the inner pulleys.
Gluing an o-ring or something similar onto each side of the
bearing might work for tracking the belt. The front wheel diameter
might be 5 or 6 inches. The rear wheel might need to be large just
so the belting has a larger pulley to wrap around.

Also possible is to use a tank style tread only for the trailing
wheels. That might require a more flexible rubber band/belt. That
would be less cumbersome than routing the belt from the rear wheel
forward to the front wheel. It might allow doing away with large
rear wheel too. And not using a tank tread for the front wheel
might be less dangerous (at some point). But... Using the front
and rear wheels as part of the tank tread provides a larger pulley
diameter on the ends.

--

TDD

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2012 11:39 PM, John Doe wrote:
The Daring wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Probably a large heavy duty O-ring would fit the bill. There would be no
joints to worry about and O-rings are produced in a wide variety of
materials. Possibly use a poly rope run around your pulleys to get a
measurement.

TDD

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 11 Mar 2012 01:53:02 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

If McMaster has it-- then quit shopping and order them. I love
those guys. Their nearest warehouse [NJ] is about a 4 hour drive
from me. I just ordered some stuff thursday evening about 6pm---
arrived in my driveway at 11AM Fri- $5 shipping. Cheaper than the
gas to drive to HD.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

They also have great customer service with folks who perish the
thought] know more about their stuff than most of us out here on
Usenet.

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together.

Probably even know the answer to that one.

I *hate* the phone. But I'd make an exception in this case if I was
in your shoes.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2012 8:53 PM, John Doe wrote:
Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.

Motion Industries or Acklands Grainger?
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 10, 8:53*pm, John Doe wrote:
Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.

Look for power twist v-belt on Amazon. Makes up to any length you
want, reinforced urethane or something similar, ought to wear long
time on an an inline skate. Using one on my table saw, pulling 1 1/2
HP on a single pulley. $35 or so, should give you maybe four usable
pieces.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:53*pm, John Doe wrote:
Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.

Watch out for operation around electronic air cleaners. The ozone
crumbles susceptible belts in a matter of months.

From memory neoprene based lasted longer, like in automotive belts,
etc. The imported types used in VCR's etc were the worst.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

When searching for an online store, using "cart" and/or "checkout" in
the search criteria might produce better results.