Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to remove ceiling light fixture

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ublic/?start=0

The link above shows my shower light ceiling fixture looking straight
up and from the side. As you can see there is nothing really to grab
tho I tried to twist it without success and then I tried to pull it
down but it seemed like it was fighting me. It's fairly snug against
the ceiling and it's never been disturbed. I'm guessing it needs to
be pulled down??? If so, just wondering what to use so I don't ruin
the ceiling? I don't really have fingernails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 1:34*pm, "Doug" wrote:
http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ublic/?start=0

The link above shows my shower light ceiling fixture looking straight
up and from the side. *As you can see there is nothing really to grab
tho I tried to twist it without success and then I tried to pull it
down but it seemed like it was fighting me. * It's fairly snug against
the ceiling and it's never been disturbed. * I'm guessing it needs to
be pulled down??? *If so, just wondering what to use so I don't ruin
the ceiling? * I don't really have fingernails.

It should just pull down, but it *is* going to fight you because it's
spring loaded.

There are probably two V-shaped springs that go into a small slot and
then expand to hold the ring tight to the ceiling,

However, with that said, there is no guarentee that you won't pull
some paint off with it. You could try running a blade around/just
under the ring to cut any stuck paint as a precaution.

You could also try sliding the ring from side to side a bit. If it
slides, then odds are it's not stuck to the paint.

Good luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 1:44*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:34*pm, "Doug" wrote:

[...]

In addition to the above, using a plastic putty knife would
be my tool of choice to try to pry it. Plastic is less likely to
damage the ceiling. If that doesn't work, then a steel putty
knife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2012 1:34 PM, Doug wrote:
http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ublic/?start=0

The link above shows my shower light ceiling fixture looking straight
up and from the side. As you can see there is nothing really to grab
tho I tried to twist it without success and then I tried to pull it
down but it seemed like it was fighting me. It's fairly snug against
the ceiling and it's never been disturbed. I'm guessing it needs to
be pulled down??? If so, just wondering what to use so I don't ruin
the ceiling? I don't really have fingernails.

In addition to what DD03 and Trader said, you can often push the glass
up slightly and get a screwdriver tip between the glass and trim, which
gives something to pull on
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 1:50*pm, RBM wrote:
On 3/7/2012 1:34 PM, Doug wrote:

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ublic/?start=0

The link above shows my shower light ceiling fixture looking straight
up and from the side. *As you can see there is nothing really to grab
tho I tried to twist it without success and then I tried to pull it
down but it seemed like it was fighting me. * It's fairly snug against
the ceiling and it's never been disturbed. * I'm guessing it needs to
be pulled down??? *If so, just wondering what to use so I don't ruin
the ceiling? * I don't really have fingernails.

In addition to what DD03 and Trader said, you can often push the glass
up slightly and get a screwdriver tip between the glass and trim, which
gives something to pull on

What everyone else said is 100% correct

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:34:53 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ublic/?start=0

What others have said.

When you first pull the ring down, it will come only far down. Then
you can change to bulb, etc. To remove the ring completely, the "V"
springs need to be removed from their slot thingies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ublic/?start=0

What others have said.

When you first pull the ring down, it will come only far down. Then
you can change to bulb, etc. To remove the ring completely, the "V"
springs need to be removed from their slot thingies.

Thanks Oren,bob, RBM,trader4 and DerbyDad !!! I will use your info
to remove it.