Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home lighting via LED bulbs off ebay

Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting
great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 10:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting
great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Hi Chris:

I haven't used LED floods, but we just set up LED bar lights for
undercabinet lighting in our kitchen. They're fine, but check the
"color temperature" and make sure you like the color--the lower temps.
are (paradoxically) the "warmer" colors. Higher color temperatures tend
toward the bluish-white. They're supposed to last almost forever, and I
suppose the price should come down, just as CF bulbs have become cheaper.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I should order one or two, and see if I like them. Good wisdom.
Thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Hi Chris:

I haven't used LED floods, but we just set up LED bar lights for
undercabinet lighting in our kitchen. They're fine, but check the
"color temperature" and make sure you like the color--the lower temps.
are (paradoxically) the "warmer" colors. Higher color temperatures tend
toward the bluish-white. They're supposed to last almost forever, and I
suppose the price should come down, just as CF bulbs have become cheaper.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Thanks. I should order one or two, and see if I like them. Good
wisdom. Thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Hi Chris:

I haven't used LED floods, but we just set up LED bar lights for
undercabinet lighting in our kitchen. They're fine, but check the
"color temperature" and make sure you like the color--the lower temps.
are (paradoxically) the "warmer" colors. Higher color temperatures
tend toward the bluish-white. They're supposed to last almost
forever, and I suppose the price should come down, just as CF bulbs
have become cheaper.

Steve

I have been looking at LEDs, but so far, I only have a 3-light (1w/per)
little bar under a cupboard over the kitchen counter. It really was too
expensive to get more. Which models and from which store have you found
affordable, if I may ask?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting
great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I have three LED floods in cans in my kitchen ceiling and love them. Instant on,
nice clean bright light which is much better than the CFL's they replaced.

I have two ceiling fans with candelabra bulbs that I put some corn cob LEDs.
Light wise they are sufficient, although I would like them to have more lumens.
The only downside is that they project an interesting pattern on the ceiling and
when I run the fans, I fear that I'm going to go into a seizure

Posted to alt.home.repair

From the Facebook page of Genesis:

In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth -- 2 the
earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness is on the face of the
deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters, 3 and
God saith, 'Let LED light be;' and LED light is. 4 And God seeth the LED
light that it is efficient, and God separateth between the LED light and
the darkness, 5 and God calleth to the LED light 'Day,' and to the
darkness He hath called 'Night;' and there is an evening, and there is a
morning -- day one.

On 3/6/2012 10:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting
great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting
great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Unless they're Energy Star rated, you won't know if they're good or not
because you won't know if they've even been tested or how. You are the
test.

Let us know.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

Curious what others have found. At church, the flood lights are getting
great reviews, as "can lights" in the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Unless they're Energy Star rated, you won't know if they're good or not
because you won't know if they've even been tested or how. You are the
test.

Let us know.

Tomsic

I always need to know color temperature. These LEDs are never going to last
as long as typically stated,50 k hours. If they run hot, look for more like
10 k hours.
Warm, 20 k hours upward. Some fail early. Probably a few more years to get
a good feel on them.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 10:04 PM, gregz wrote:
"Tomsic" wrote:
[...]

The long life claim for LEDs is probably as bogus as the claims for CFLs. While
the light elements themselves may last a long time, the ballasts fail as quick
or quicker than incandescent bulbs. It's almost a scam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was surprised to read some high-lumen LEDs have fans. Seems the step-down
generates the heat. Recently heard they have a better method - wonder if it
is just a clipper diode.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I was surprised to read some high-lumen LEDs have fans. Seems the step-down
generates the heat. Recently heard they have a better method - wonder if it
is just a clipper diode.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

I made a 45 watt led from 9 5 watt LEDs. LEDs insulated with diamond dust
epoxy, mounted on copper plate, mounted on aluminum heatsink, fan attached
to sink.
I'm still thinking about it. That failed because of need to focus the beam
into a tight solid spot. It's hard to get nice even spot for a camera. That
was a green light, too bright to look at. Diamond? Diamond has the best
heat conduction, many times better than copper.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I was surprised to read some high-lumen LEDs have fans. Seems the step-down
generates the heat. Recently heard they have a better method - wonder if
it
is just a clipper diode.

A few LED light engines have fans, but fans wear out and so luminaires are
more likely to use fans since they are easier to replace. Other types of
light engines use a non-conductive liquid which surrounds the LED chips to
carry away the heat. That's been tuned into a feature by some
manufacturers since it gives the LED a decorative look. The problem: what's
the chemistry of the liquid? -- could be hazardous if the assembly is broken
so that the liquid escapes.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:28:57 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Just spent about $20 and bought a couple of LED flood lights, with 120
degree light spread. And a couple LED "corn cob" lights. Anyone else used
these? Are they any good? I'm sure I'll find out in about two weeks.

What are corn cob lights?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Log onto www.ebay.com

and type in LED corn. See what you get.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ob&_osaca t=0

So named, cause they look a lot like corn cobs.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..