Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electronic wall timer

Ok I want to wire in a electronic wall timer that says it can be wired
into a 3 way switch. I will read the instructions again but in case
it doesn't answer this, does it matter if the timer is wired to the
closest 3 way switch to the electric circuit panel or the farthest
one? In either case, if a person used the other 3 way switch to
turn on or off the light, would that affect the timer if it's already
set for a later time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 7:36*am, "Doug" wrote:
Ok I want to wire in a electronic wall timer that says it can be wired
into a 3 way switch. *I will read the instructions again but in case
it doesn't answer this, does it matter if the timer is wired to the
closest 3 way switch to the electric circuit panel or the farthest
one? * *In either case, if a person used the other 3 way switch to
turn on or off the light, would that affect the timer if it's already
set for a later time?

I would think it's not going to matter. In either case the switch
has one wire that has power on it all the time which in the
design they can use to keep the timer going. And if it made a
difference it would have to be spelled out in the instructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
Ok I want to wire in a electronic wall timer that says it can be wired
into a 3 way switch. I will read the instructions again but in case
it doesn't answer this, does it matter if the timer is wired to the
closest 3 way switch to the electric circuit panel or the farthest
one? In either case, if a person used the other 3 way switch to
turn on or off the light, would that affect the timer if it's already
set for a later time?

A link to what you are talking about would help.

Is it just a timer in addition to the 3-way switches? (It can connect
across the travelers.) How is it powered? Does it have a battery? Does
it need a neutral?

If it replaces a 3-way switch how is the timer is powered? Does it need
a neutral?

Using the 3-way switches should not affect the timer.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 7:36*am, "Doug" wrote:
Ok I want to wire in a electronic wall timer that says it can be wired
into a 3 way switch. *I will read the instructions again but in case
it doesn't answer this, does it matter if the timer is wired to the
closest 3 way switch to the electric circuit panel or the farthest
one? * *In either case, if a person used the other 3 way switch to
turn on or off the light, would that affect the timer if it's already
set for a later time?

I had one and wired it so the common was coming off the hot wire. It
worked. Don't know if it will work with the common going to the load.
If it doesn't you would think it would be included in the literature.
One thing I didn't like about it was that couldn't manually check it
with an ohmmeter to see which wire was common. This was a real pain
because the documentation came up missing for a couple of days.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:55:53 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
Ok I want to wire in a electronic wall timer that says it can be wired
into a 3 way switch. I will read the instructions again but in case
it doesn't answer this, does it matter if the timer is wired to the
closest 3 way switch to the electric circuit panel or the farthest
one? In either case, if a person used the other 3 way switch to
turn on or off the light, would that affect the timer if it's already
set for a later time?

A link to what you are talking about would help.

Is it just a timer in addition to the 3-way switches? (It can connect
across the travelers.) How is it powered? Does it have a battery? Does
it need a neutral?

If it replaces a 3-way switch how is the timer is powered? Does it need
a neutral?

Using the 3-way switches should not affect the timer.

Sorry Bud I was in a rush this morning to make an appointment. Here
is the timer I had in mind....
http://www.intermatic.com/Products/T...mers/ST01.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

is the timer I had in mind....http://www.intermatic.com/Products/T...Electronic_Tim...

The wiring diagram only shows common wired into the hot line.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

The timer is wired differently from a normal 3-way switch. One normal
3-way connects to power, the other to the light. The timer has to
replace the 3-way that connects to power. This may or may not be the
switch closest to the panel. Easiest way to determine is probably a
meter. The other 3-way is rewired as a single pole switch and appears to
not carry the load current (it is a control circuit).

The timer does not need a neutral and operates entirely off of a
battery. That means you won't loose the memory settings or programmed
functions. Since it works with CFLS and LEDs and clicks it must use a
relay, which apparently operates off the battery.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Thought about it some more, it just may work at either place since it
has a battery. As long as the battery is good it would turn it on
regardless of where it is located. Once on it would run off the AC
and charge the battery. This is a lot of assuming, The diagram still
shows it being used toward the AC main. It would be nice if the
manufacturer included this info.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE is an idiot
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE is an idiot

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE is an idiot
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:08:50 -0600, "Big Bob" wrote:

JIMMIE is an idiot

No Jimmie isn't an idiot, I'm the idiot. I'm the one asking the
question !!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Even if the timer/switch is installed in the remote location
it always has 120V present on one of the traveler wires.
However I agree the directions are not clear. As you point
out, they only show it used on the power end,
where the common is connected
to the hot. You would think they would show the other common
installation, which is with it installed on the light end, with the
common connected to the light. Or alternatively if it
won't work that way, to just say so.

Unfortunately you see so much of that today, with
instructions that just are not clear or contradictory.
The worse are those written in China. I don't
understand why those companies don't just pay
someone competent and fluent in English here
to review the instructions before they ship
millions of widgets. You would think the cost
would be tiny compared to the cost of all the
calls for support. Like this example here.
How many calls to customer support is that
going to cause?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

First of all... I plead stupidity for wiring but is my question legit
whether the timer needs to be closest to the circuit panel or not? I
would hate to call them up for this question as they could easily talk
circles around me because of my lack of knowledge.

Anyway for the moment I've decided to order 2 timers and each will be
put on a non-3 way switch but I asked because I was thinking later on
wiring one up on a 3 way switch. I wonder what is the worst I could
do if I mess it up on the 3 way switch.... I'm thinking either trip
the circuit breaker or burn out the timer???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Per the above discussion, the instructions don't say
that it can only be installed on the power side of the
circuit. Bu the example schematics they provide only
show it installed that way. You should just call them
up. It's their instructions that are poor. You would
think they would get a lot of calls because of this and
that they would clarify it. But, sadly, it doesn't seem
to work that way....

Anyway for the moment I've decided to order 2 timers and each will be
put on a non-3 way switch but I asked because I was thinking later on
wiring one up on a 3 way switch. *I wonder what is the worst I could
do if I mess it up on the 3 way switch.... I'm thinking either trip
the circuit breaker or burn out the timer???- Hide quoted text -

I would think that if it was intended to only be used on
the power end and you instead put it on the light end,
it simply would not work. The chances of you burning
it out if it's otherwise connected correctly I believe are
very small.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

The question is not closest to the panel, but the 3-way switch that
connects to power (may not be closes to panel).

It is a question anyone should ask.

would hate to call them up for this question as they could easily talk
circles around me because of my lack of knowledge.

Only Leviton can tell you if the timer at the 'other' end would work
(unless someone tries it). My guess is it wouldn't. When used as a
single pole switch the instructions don't care which wire connects to
which - might suggest that the timer could be at the 'other' end. I
certainly agree with trader that Leviton should have said in the
instructions.

Other than that, the timer has a lot of interesting features.

Anyway for the moment I've decided to order 2 timers and each will be
put on a non-3 way switch but I asked because I was thinking later on
wiring one up on a 3 way switch. I wonder what is the worst I could
do if I mess it up on the 3 way switch.... I'm thinking either trip
the circuit breaker or burn out the timer???

I would be very surprised if anything happened except it didn't work.
The other 3-way switch may or may not work.

-----------------------
[The battery is not rechargeable.]

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 6:36 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Thanks and I noted from the reviews that the battery will need to be
replaced every 2 or more years. I decided to take your advice and I
emailed the manufacturer on their website regarding the wiring on a 3
way switch. Hopefully my question is clear and their answer only
needs to be a simple yes or no. I did state that it was for a house
in the United States in case that mattered.

If and when I get an answer, I'll post back here what they said.