Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default OT - Electronic timer relay help

I am trying to troubleshoot my aerobic septic system. I need to
control the time and the duration of the pump, which waters my lawn.
It has a Chronos OL2R1 DPST timer relay, with 4 dials

It looks like this - poor photo, but the best i could find.

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/...t_chronos2.jpg

Question what do the 4 dials do?
I think the smaller dials determine the delay between the time the
pump float switch goes on, until the relay energizes, to prevent
momentary cycling.
The larger blue dials are marked Ton and Toff, and graduated 1 - 10
Does that mean they come on every 4 hours if Ton is set to 4, or 10
hours if set to 10?
How then do I set Toff ?

Lastly, is there a clock-type timer that is a plug-in replacement to
this?
Ideally, I would like to set it to run at 5:00 AM every day.
I'd also like to be able to turn it off when it's rainy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
I am trying to troubleshoot my aerobic septic system. I need to
control the time and the duration of the pump, which waters my lawn.

Well the two shouldn't be connected unless you are having a problem with
water overload.

It has a Chronos OL2R1 DPST timer relay, with 4 dials

It looks like this - poor photo, but the best i could find.

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/...t_chronos2.jpg

Question what do the 4 dials do?
I think the smaller dials determine the delay between the time the
pump float switch goes on, until the relay energizes, to prevent
momentary cycling.
The larger blue dials are marked Ton and Toff, and graduated 1 - 10
Does that mean they come on every 4 hours if Ton is set to 4, or 10
hours if set to 10?
How then do I set Toff ?

Lastly, is there a clock-type timer that is a plug-in replacement to
this?
Ideally, I would like to set it to run at 5:00 AM every day.
I'd also like to be able to turn it off when it's rainy.

The dials are used to activate the internal functions of the timer.

They are used to program the unit by selecting a function the using the
Ton/Off dials to set those times.
Then You select the next function and repeat.

I am wondering if it is set up so that it only cycles the aerobic system
so there is no extra water.

I would contact the outfit that installed the system. Some of them are
VERY touchy in the way they operate and extra water can really screw
them up.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to this spec sheet, there's only 2 times (Ton & Toff):
http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Pro...M/793-8510.PDF
Ton is the length of time it's on & Toff the length of time it's off.
Then repeat as long as "U" is high.

But this sheet says that it's a "twin timer":
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=646-1190-ND

I would be very leery of replacing it unless/until you understand its
function exactly!

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Rex,

I can't "see" the pix very well either, but that type of timer usually
has a setting for "units" as in decimal seconds, seconds, minutes,
hours; a setting for "method of triggering" as in close on power-up
and time open, open on power-up and time close, one-shot, reset on
trigger, delay on trigger, etc. Most of them use a screw-driver to
select the units and type of trigger, and a dial/knob to set the unit
span (the "timing").

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...we are on septic system here, and I'm interested in what this
aerobic system thing is, and what do you mean it waters your lawn?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:45:19 -0700 (PDT), Rex
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/...Crouzet_646/ph...

Question what do the 4 dials do?
I think the smaller dials determine the delay between the time the
pump float switch goes on, until the relay energizes, to prevent
momentary cycling.
The larger blue dials are marked Ton and Toff, and graduated 1 - 10
Does that mean they come on every 4 hours if Ton is set to 4, or 10
hours if set to 10?
How then do I set Toff ?

Lastly, is there a clock-type timer that is a plug-in replacement to
this?
Ideally, I would like to set it to run at 5:00 AM every day.
I'd also like to be able to turn it off when it's rainy.

Brian, that's pretty much what I figured. the small dials are delay
times to deal with transient signals (?) of which I can't imagine
there would be any. The large dials adjust up to 10 hours each. I
think I want to set the dials to the max time on both, which would
give me 20 hours between run times, if I'm getting this correctly.

Bob, this particular variant only controls the pump on/off. It has a
circuit diagram printed on the side which helped a bunch.

Steve, I've determined that the first condition is the float switch
has to be ON, then when the timer relay turns on, the pump runs. I
can just reach down with a hoe and pull the float up, but the pump
won't run unless the timer is ON. There is a 2nd emergency float
switch set higher, and you'd think it would always turn the pump on,
but it doesn't. I'm not sure why it that is.

Aerobic septic systems - The house sewer water flows into the first of
three buried 500-gallon tanks, which is aerated with a small
compressor that runs 24/7. Solids are broken down by bacteria just
like an old-style leech-line septic, the air just makes it more
efficient.
Clear water flows out the top into a 2nd tank, to settle further, then
it flows to the 3rd tank (with chlorine added in transit).
This last tank has a submerged pump with a float switch. It pumps the
water out into a 4-head sprinkler system in the front yard. As long
as we use water in the house, the lawn gets watered. It also does not
work if the power goes out

Texans are required by law to have a maintenance contract on the
system, but ours lapsed and I've been maintaining it myself. All I've
had to do was add chlorine tablets twice a year.

My only issue with the timer was I wanted it to build up more water
and run the sprinklers longer, preferably at night. As it was
originally set up, the sprinklers would come on at seemingly random
times and run for 5 minutes, which is pretty useless as irrigation. It
also came on when it was rainy, but I know how to turn it off now. I
may set up to divert to a holding tank during rainy periods, then
release it back during dry times.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

在 2011年8月1日星期一UTC+8上午2时45分19秒 Rex写道:
[...]

Solid State Timers