Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electronic Timer Won't Shut Down Amp

At least that's what it appears...
In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this case.
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
At least that's what it appears...
In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours
each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED
still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this
case.
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Frank

Plug a table lamp into the timer instead. See if it goes on and off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 10:15*am, "Bill" wrote:
"frank1492" wrote in message

[...]

Plug a table lamp into the timer instead. See if it goes on and off.- Hide quoted text -

Put a Killawatt meter or VOM and see how much power it
uses when ON versus when it's supposed to be off. It's
possible it does power down, but the red LED still indicates
it has not been manually shut off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 08:55 AM, frank1492 wrote:
At least that's what it appears...
In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this case.
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Frank

Solid-state relays pass a little current when off. I encountered this
problem when using them to control my holiday lights. LEDs will light
with such small currents. I got around that problem by having at least
one non-LED item (like incandescent or motor) on each circuit. Maybe
that would work for you too (put a small light on the timer with the
amp). You could try to see if the amp works when it's supposed to be off
(try it twice in case your timer has the annoying "local on" feature
like X10).

--
15 days until The winter celebration (Sunday December 25 2011 12:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive,
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, tell us a bit more. What is "amp"?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"frank1492" wrote in message
At least that's what it appears...
In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this case.
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing the current it's passing lights the LED. Thanks for all
your ideas. Will check with meter, also try the bulb idea.
Is it still possible to buy an electronic timer with the old-style
mechanical relay?
Thank you all!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 10:57*am, frank1492 wrote:
I'm guessing the current it's passing lights the LED. Thanks for all
your ideas. Will check with meter, also try the bulb idea.
* * Is it still possible to buy an electronic timer with the old-style
mechanical relay?
* * Thank you all!

if leakage is the problem, plug a small incandescent light into the
timer along with the amp, that will provide a load for the leakage..

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 09:55:47 -0500, frank1492
wrote:

At least that's what it appears...
In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this case.
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Frank

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you put a CFL in a lamp, it
will often flash a bit when the timer has it "off". Probably the
same thing with your amp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 10:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, tell us a bit more. What is "amp"?

Amplifier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 9:55*am, frank1492 wrote:
At least that's what it appears...
* *In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
* *The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
* *The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
* *The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this case.
* * I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
* * * * *Frank

Some of those electronic timers are never really all the way off. They
require a path through whatever you are switching to make the
electronics inside of them function.. Also if they see a reactive load
some of them may not turn off at all, at timer that works fine with
incandescent light for a load may not work using flourescent lamps.
The solution to this is to either use a different timer or to isolate
the timer from the load with a relay.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
I'm guessing the current it's passing lights the LED. Thanks for all
your ideas. Will check with meter, also try the bulb idea.
Is it still possible to buy an electronic timer with the old-style
mechanical relay?
Thank you all!

Hi,
Some are. You can hear relay clicking when it is working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did isolate the timer with a relay. That solved the problem.
Thanks all for your many ideas!
Frank