Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electronic Timer Won't Shut Down Amp

On 12/10/2011 08:55 AM, frank1492 wrote:
At least that's what it appears...
In the old days these timers had a relay, but I know the new ones
have no mechanical moving parts.
The amp in question is "smart." When it receives an audio signal
the LED on the on/off button changes from green to red.
The amp is supposed to have power to it only for certain hours each
day, controlled by this timer. But during the off cycle, the LED still
glows red! I would expect it to be totally off when the timer so
indicates.
The bottom line is that I don't know if the amp is actually off. I
seem to remember that one side of a connection is all some LED
circuits need to operate, but don't know if this applies in this case.
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Frank

Solid-state relays pass a little current when off. I encountered this
problem when using them to control my holiday lights. LEDs will light
with such small currents. I got around that problem by having at least
one non-LED item (like incandescent or motor) on each circuit. Maybe
that would work for you too (put a small light on the timer with the
amp). You could try to see if the amp works when it's supposed to be off
(try it twice in case your timer has the annoying "local on" feature
like X10).

--
15 days until The winter celebration (Sunday December 25 2011 12:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive,
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate."