Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pocket door problem

I was visiting my son's recently, and he showed me a problem he has with a
pocket door to a closet. It is a 24 inch door. The problem is that when
one puts his hands on the door handle (not really a handle, a finger
indentation) and attempts to open the door, it cocks the door so the top
goes into the pocket but the bottom doesn't. Of course, this jams the door.
However, if one reaches down lower, about 18 inches above the floor, the
door opens fine.

There appears to be too much play in the top front roller. How does a
person go about fixing a pocket door? It looks to me like I'd have to tear
off the trim, at least the piece across the top.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2012 3:08 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
I was visiting my son's recently, and he showed me a problem he has with
a pocket door to a closet. It is a 24 inch door. The problem is that
when one puts his hands on the door handle (not really a handle, a
finger indentation) and attempts to open the door, it cocks the door so
the top goes into the pocket but the bottom doesn't. Of course, this
jams the door. However, if one reaches down lower, about 18 inches above
the floor, the door opens fine.

There appears to be too much play in the top front roller. How does a
person go about fixing a pocket door? It looks to me like I'd have to
tear off the trim, at least the piece across the top.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Bob-tx

It is not the roller. There is a guide that should be at the opening of
the pocket at the bottom. It keeps the bottom of the door centered in
the opening so that it enters the pocket correctly. If it is damaged or
missing, there is your problem.

Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products.../dp/B0002YX196

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:08:08 -0600, "Bob-tx" Live Spam free wrote:

I was visiting my son's recently, and he showed me a problem he has with a
pocket door to a closet. It is a 24 inch door. The problem is that when
one puts his hands on the door handle (not really a handle, a finger
indentation) and attempts to open the door, it cocks the door so the top
goes into the pocket but the bottom doesn't. Of course, this jams the door.
However, if one reaches down lower, about 18 inches above the floor, the
door opens fine.

There appears to be too much play in the top front roller. How does a
person go about fixing a pocket door? It looks to me like I'd have to tear
off the trim, at least the piece across the top.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Bob-tx

You will need to inspect the roller and the track, then make necessary
corrections.

If you need parts:

http://johnsonhardware.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:

I was visiting my son's recently, and he showed me a problem he has with a
pocket door to a closet. It is a 24 inch door. The problem is that when
one puts his hands on the door handle (not really a handle, a finger
indentation) and attempts to open the door, it cocks the door so the top
goes into the pocket but the bottom doesn't. Of course, this jams the door.
However, if one reaches down lower, about 18 inches above the floor, the
door opens fine.

There appears to be too much play in the top front roller. How does a
person go about fixing a pocket door? It looks to me like I'd have to tear
off the trim, at least the piece across the top.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Bob-tx

There may be play in the top front roller, but the weight of the door
should keep it from lifting up unless something is sticking elsewhere.
I'd look at the bottom of the door for something binding / rubbing at
the back causing the door to pivot around that back point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
I was visiting my son's recently, and he showed me a problem he has
with a pocket door to a closet. It is a 24 inch door. The problem
is that when one puts his hands on the door handle (not really a
handle, a finger indentation) and attempts to open the door, it cocks
the door so the top goes into the pocket but the bottom doesn't. Of
course, this jams the door. However, if one reaches down lower, about
18 inches above the floor, the door opens fine.

There appears to be too much play in the top front roller. How does a
person go about fixing a pocket door? It looks to me like I'd have
to tear off the trim, at least the piece across the top.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Allison is correct...your problem is a missing or broken bottom guide. They
are often rather flimsy plastic; some also have rollers (better).

Actually, the door should never move totally out of the pocket...the last
1/4" at least should be trapped by the jamb.

You are correct...if you ever have to mess with the top rollers or track,
you have to remove trim.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Anyone know how to fix a pocket door? David Nebenzahl Home Repair 8 August 9th 08 05:29 PM
Pocket Door Problem [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 2nd 08 09:17 PM
Adapt standard door to pocket door---Locks NoSpecialName Home Repair 2 November 14th 05 03:15 AM
Pocket door handymart Home Repair 0 July 14th 05 11:02 PM
Pocket door daler Home Repair 5 March 2nd 05 04:06 PM