Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Pocket door problem

Bob-tx wrote:
I was visiting my son's recently, and he showed me a problem he has
with a pocket door to a closet. It is a 24 inch door. The problem
is that when one puts his hands on the door handle (not really a
handle, a finger indentation) and attempts to open the door, it cocks
the door so the top goes into the pocket but the bottom doesn't. Of
course, this jams the door. However, if one reaches down lower, about
18 inches above the floor, the door opens fine.

There appears to be too much play in the top front roller. How does a
person go about fixing a pocket door? It looks to me like I'd have
to tear off the trim, at least the piece across the top.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Allison is correct...your problem is a missing or broken bottom guide. They
are often rather flimsy plastic; some also have rollers (better).

Actually, the door should never move totally out of the pocket...the last
1/4" at least should be trapped by the jamb.

You are correct...if you ever have to mess with the top rollers or track,
you have to remove trim.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...