Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Aerator From Copper Faucet

Hi,

I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The aerator
has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator without damaging
it? The faucet is part of an expensive set.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 19:08:30 -0600, "Snowy"
wrote:

Hi,

I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The aerator
has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator without damaging
it? The faucet is part of an expensive set.

Get a round sheet of rubber with little mountains on it. Maybe 5" in
diameter, although I once saw smaller.

I don't know if these are sold. I only see them given away free, with
advertising on them.

But try a few dollar stores.

If not, get a small rubber strap wrench.

If you use a piece of towell and pliers, the pliers will scratch the
chrome right through the towell. Maybe leather thick enough would
not let that happen, but it would have to be thicker than one would
think.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The aerator
has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator without damaging
it? The faucet is part of an expensive set.

Thanks,
Gary

I'd try a penatrant first. Let it soak overnight. I'd wrap the
aerator with cloth or rubber for a better grip and minimal damage.

Heat will work, but it would probably discolor the faucet spout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The aerator
has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator without damaging
it? The faucet is part of an expensive set.

Thanks,
Gary

I'd try a penatrant first. Let it soak overnight. I'd wrap the
aerator with cloth or rubber for a better grip and minimal damage.

Heat will work, but it would probably discolor the faucet spout.

I like your idea best but if the OP wants to try the old vinegar trick
first, assuming he doesn't have the penetrant yet, it might work. I
think vinegar won't hurt copper but he better ask first before he
wraps it in a baggy full of vinegar over night. My wife doesn't like
me to wipe down our brass door knobs with vinegar because she claims
it helps speed up the tarnishing of them... I say hogwash but I
stopped doing it to make her happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. *The aerator
has corroded onto the faucet. *How do I remove the aerator without damaging
it? *The faucet is part of an expensive set.

Get a round sheet of rubber with little mountains on it. * Maybe 5" in
diameter, although I once saw smaller.

I don't know if these are sold. *I only see them given away free, with
advertising on them.

But try a few dollar stores.

If not, get a small *rubber strap wrench.

Harbor freight has a set where you get I think 3 strap
wrenches of different size for not much, maybe $9 or so.
If not, HD or similar has them.

In line with the bumpy rubber thing, I've seen similar
sold to remove jar lids. Or he could try a piece of the
open rubber mat type of shelf liner for fridges that is
sold at Walmart, etc.

I'd spray it with penetrating oil first and leave it over
night.

If you use a piece of towell and pliers, the pliers will scratch the
chrome right through the towell. * *Maybe leather thick enough would
not let that happen, but it would have to be thicker than one would
think.

Thanks,
Gary- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've tried hogwash, but I think it speeds up the tarnishing.

And the hogs snort at me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2012 7:57 AM, Doug wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 21:50:50 -0500, Ed wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 19:08:30 -0600,
wrote:

[...]

You need to consider the appearance and possible existence of a coating
on the copper clad faucet. If the copper was not clear-coated to
prevent tarnishing, the faucet will have a patina of copper oxide
(brown) which is not soluble in water. However, copper oxide plus
vinegar (dilute acetic acid) will result in a chemical reaction that
produces water and copper acetate. Copper acetate is very soluble in
water and you will remove the patina exposing the elemental copper
below. It is a matter of aesthetics whether you like the patina or
prefer the shiny pink copper color (which will re-tarnish over time
unless it is clear-coated with some adherent, durable, airtight coating
or unless you enjoy periodically polishing your copper fixtures, pots, etc.

The only way that vinegar would speed up the tarnishing of brass or
copper is if it removed a protective clear coat. Otherwise, vinegar is
one of the cheapest and most effective products you can use to remove
tarnish from brass and copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snowy wrote:
Hi,

I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The
aerator has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator
without damaging it? The faucet is part of an expensive set.

How about trying wrapping the largest, widest rubberbands you can find around
the aerator tightly to cover the whole surface. build up a thick layer, which
might give enough grip to remove it by hand, or enough protection to grab it
with pliers or a strap wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, tell us, how you got it off?

Christopher A. Young