Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Junction Box Code Question

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Feb 6, 11:33*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:27*am, Robert Macy wrote:

On Feb 5, 4:26*pm, "
wrote:

On Feb 5, 6:06*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that this is OK... just want to make sure.

Assume the junction box is sized correctly for four runs of
14/2 w/ ground Romex.

Romex from panel enters the junction box in the basement.That
wire

is
wire-nutted to a run that goes up to the line side of a GFCI
receptacle on the first floor.

From the load side of the GFCI, a run of Romex comes back down
into the junction box and is wire-nutted to a run that goes off
to a 3 prong receptacle, also on the first floor..

Basically I'm just making sure that it's OK to use the junction
box

as
a pass-through for the run that goes to the receptacles that
the GF

CI
is protecting.

Thanks!

Perfectly fine.

is crimped GND lead required? versus wire-nutted GND lead.- Hide
quoted

text -

Crimped ground lead to what? * You can wire nut
the grounds together. *If it's a metal box you're using,
then it needs to be grounded too via a wire with a
ground screw.- Hide quoted text -

I won't need to ground the junction box since it's going to be duct
taped to a water pipe which is already grounded.

Awesome!

Kidding!

Awwwe, I'm saddened.

But seriously, what if all of the Romex was 14/2 w/o ground, like
might be found in a older home (including some sections of mine). How
would one deal with a metal junction box in that case?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 7:29*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote :

wrote:

On Feb 5, 6:06 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that this is OK... just want to make sure.

Assume the junction box is sized correctly for four runs of
14/2 w/ ground Romex.

Romex from panel enters the junction box in the basement.That
wire

is
wire-nutted to a run that goes up to the line side of a GFCI
receptacle on the first floor.

From the load side of the GFCI, a run of Romex comes back down
[...]

Perhaps this will cheer you up:

Maybe I was kidding when I said I was kidding.

But seriously, what if all of the Romex was 14/2 w/o ground, like
might be found in a older home (including some sections of mine). How
would one deal with a metal junction box in that case?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Feb 8, 7:29*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
innews:1058e04a-db29-4346-b3de-bb

:

wrote:

On Feb 5, 6:06 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that this is OK... just want to make sure.

Assume the junction box is sized correctly for four runs of
14/2 w/ ground Romex.

Romex from panel enters the junction box in the
basement.That wire
is
wire-nutted to a run that goes up to the line side of a GFCI
receptacle on the first floor.

From the load side of the GFCI, a run of Romex comes back
down into the junction box and is wire-nutted to a run that
[...]

Once again, life is good.

But seriously, what if all of the Romex was 14/2 w/o ground, like
might be found in a older home (including some sections of mine).
How would one deal with a metal junction box in that case?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:53:09 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Perhaps this will cheer you up:

Maybe I was kidding when I said I was kidding.

If you're not kidding, be sure to buy grounded duct tape. You may have
to buy it at an electrical supply store since Home Depot or True Value
may not have it. This duct tape has a fine metallic mesh built into it,
and a green embedded wire, and that needs to be connected to a proper
ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Perhaps this will cheer you up:

Maybe I was kidding when I said I was kidding.

If you're not kidding, be sure to buy grounded duct tape. *You may have
to buy it at an electrical supply store since Home Depot or True Value
may not have it. *This duct tape has a fine metallic mesh built into it,
and a green embedded wire, and that needs to be connected to a proper
ground.

I'll connect the duct tape to the junction box since it'll be duct
taped to the pipe which is grounded.