Robert11

Default Grounding Metal Junction Boxes Question

Hello:

Will be installing a floodlight over my deck.

Ths situation is basically -

- wires come thru the wall to the outside house wall.

- there I will have a metal weathertight box that will make a 90 degree turn
to allow a run of PVC conduit upwards, about ten feet.

- then another metal weathertight box that will hold the floodlight.

Was wondering about the grounding.

Will ground the uppermost light assembly and the box via the green wire, of
course.

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

It is just providing some protection for the wire nut splices of the house
wires coming thru the wall, and the new wire run up inside the conduit.

Thanks,
B.

Andy Hill

"Robert11" wrote:
Will be installing a floodlight over my deck.

Ths situation is basically -

- wires come thru the wall to the outside house wall.

- there I will have a metal weathertight box that will make a 90 degree turn
to allow a run of PVC conduit upwards, about ten feet.

- then another metal weathertight box that will hold the floodlight.

Was wondering about the grounding.

Will ground the uppermost light assembly and the box via the green wire, of
course.

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

It is just providing some protection for the wire nut splices of the house
wires coming thru the wall, and the new wire run up inside the conduit.

Thanks,
B.

Too damn lazy to check the code book right now, but I'd ground the lower box,
too. Basically, if there is a possibility that a live wire can come in
contact with a chunk of metal that someone can touch, you want that metal
grounded. Better a tripped breaker than new business for the morgue.
Doug Miller

In article , "Robert11" wrote:

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

Absolutely it is a Code requirement to ground *all* metal boxes.

--
Regards,

The Real Tom

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:13:14 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Will be installing a floodlight over my deck.

Ths situation is basically -

- wires come thru the wall to the outside house wall.

- there I will have a metal weathertight box that will make a 90 degree turn
to allow a run of PVC conduit upwards, about ten feet.

- then another metal weathertight box that will hold the floodlight.

Was wondering about the grounding.

Will ground the uppermost light assembly and the box via the green wire, of
course.

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

Yes, per 2002 NEC 250.148(A) to paraphrase: "equipment grounding
conductor must be connected to the box via ground screw or via listed
device"

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

It is just providing some protection for the wire nut splices of the house
wires coming thru the wall, and the new wire run up inside the conduit.

Thanks,
B.

Goedjn

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

It is just providing some protection for the wire nut splices of the house
wires coming thru the wall, and the new wire run up inside the conduit.

If you were running the cable straight through the box,
I'd have said "no, it's not worth grounding it.". But
if you have a splice in the box, then there's no reason
*NOT* to ground it. You've already cut into the cable.

-Goedjn

The Real Tom

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:24:49 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

It is just providing some protection for the wire nut splices of the house
wires coming thru the wall, and the new wire run up inside the conduit.

If you were running the cable straight through the box,
I'd have said "no, it's not worth grounding it.". But
if you have a splice in the box, then there's no reason
*NOT* to ground it. You've already cut into the cable.

-Goedjn

Curious, why wouldn't it be worth grounding?

tom
Doug Miller

In article , Goedjn wrote:

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

If you were running the cable straight through the box,
I'd have said "no, it's not worth grounding it.".

And you'd have been wrong.

Grounding of metal boxes is a near-absolute requirement of the NEC. There are
only a handful of exceptions, very narrowly defined, and this is not one of
them.

--
Regards,

Bill

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Will be installing a floodlight over my deck.

Ths situation is basically -

- wires come thru the wall to the outside house wall.

- there I will have a metal weathertight box that will make a 90 degree turn
to allow a run of PVC conduit upwards, about ten feet.

- then another metal weathertight box that will hold the floodlight.

Was wondering about the grounding.

Will ground the uppermost light assembly and the box via the green wire, of
course.

Think it is necessary, or a code requirement, to ground the lower box also ?

It is just providing some protection for the wire nut splices of the house
wires coming thru the wall, and the new wire run up inside the conduit.

Thanks,
B.

Ok, this isn't a direct reply to your question, but...
why are you using a metal j-box? Why not use a PVC
j-box, then you won't have the problem of trying to
figure out how to ground it.

Bill Gill

Metal Boxes / EMT on Basement Wall - when is it OK? William Deans Home Repair 5 May 3rd 05 07:30 PM
Extending a ring main with junction boxes Rob UK diy 25 April 21st 05 10:17 PM
Grounding a Metal Gang Box ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 March 21st 05 04:54 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM