Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another junction box question - are there 'commoning up' JBs?

I think this may be quite close to the recent thread on Junction Boxes
but I wasn't *quite* clear what was being described there.

I very often need to connect multiple wires to one circuit (well, more
likely multiple pairs/T&Es ) and 'ordinary' junction boxes really
aren't very well suited to this.

Are there any junction boxes that come equipped with three/four/five
terminal 'mini busbars' to make it easy to connect multiple wires
together?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:39:15 +0000 wrote :
I think this may be quite close to the recent thread on Junction
Boxes but I wasn't *quite* clear what was being described there.

I very often need to connect multiple wires to one circuit (well,
more likely multiple pairs/T&Es ) and 'ordinary' junction boxes
really aren't very well suited to this.

Are there any junction boxes that come equipped with
three/four/five terminal 'mini busbars' to make it easy to connect
multiple wires together?

When I rewired the heating controls at my old church in Twickenham I
located connectors that fitted on a DIN rail which I put in a large
insulated box. Each connector had six male 6.4mm spade (Lucar) blades
all connected, three at the top, three at the bottom, whole thing
about 12mm wide. I needed about 30 in total (two boilers, several
stats). It made for a nice easy and tidy job as each core could be
connected in turn.

Sorry I can't find a web reference - will be buried in Farnell or RS
site somewhere. Perhaps someone else can help.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
[...]

I already use the lucar connectors where they are appropriate but they
don't really lend themselves to wiring in the equivalent of junction
boxes.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:08:45 +0000 wrote :
I already use the lucar connectors where they are appropriate but
they don't really lend themselves to wiring in the equivalent of
junction boxes.

I used a big CU-sized insulated box so lots of room. Even put a list of
what was what on the underside of the lid to help the next guy g

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:08:45 +0000 wrote :
I already use the lucar connectors where they are appropriate but
they don't really lend themselves to wiring in the equivalent of
junction boxes.

I used a big CU-sized insulated box so lots of room. Even put a list of
what was what on the underside of the lid to help the next guy g

Yes, where I have used them there's lots of space, but it's not
appropriate in a situation where there's really only space for an
ordinary style junction box or something similar.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 9:39*pm, wrote:

Are there any junction boxes that come equipped with three/four/five
terminal 'mini busbars' to make it easy to connect multiple wires
together?

Wago connectors. More compact than choc block, easier to fit, more
reliable and they're great for commoning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Nov 15, 9:39Â*pm, wrote:

Are there any junction boxes that come equipped with three/four/five
terminal 'mini busbars' to make it easy to connect multiple wires
together?

Wago connectors. More compact than choc block, easier to fit, more
reliable and they're great for commoning.

Yes, as recommended by someone else as well, they look like just what
I need. It's especially true in one application (on boat) where I'm
using round arctic cable and can anchor the cables with nylon glands
as they go into suitable boxes.

One needs to take account of the cable anchoring requirement but,
apart from that, they look excellent (and pretty inexpesive).

--
Chris Green

Commoning strips for terminal blocks - alternative names and/or supplers? [email protected] UK diy 3 July 14th 10 05:27 PM
junction boxes Stephen[_2_] UK diy 47 September 22nd 08 05:06 PM
Grounding Metal Junction Boxes Question Robert11 Home Repair 7 May 14th 05 02:09 PM
Junction Box Question Charles Middleton UK diy 3 December 24th 04 12:50 AM
Telephone junction box question Sianu UK diy 2 September 9th 03 03:37 AM