Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stupid screw logic

wouldn't it be easier to get the screw out, spend a couple of bucks at
the Borg and get a small box of new screws?

http://www.houselogic.com/blog/repai...tripped-screw/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm taking a wild guess that he was talking about one of the hinge
adjustment screws. Not something you'll find on a store shelf....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 1:27*am, Larry Fishel wrote:
I'm taking a wild guess that he was talking about one of the hinge
adjustment screws. Not something you'll find on a store shelf....

The screw in the picture sure doesn't look like hinge adjustment
screw.

In fact, it doesn't look like any screw associated with a cabinet
hinge...unless it's a *really* big cabinet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I find that most screws, when they srip out, not enough metal left to slot.
Sometimes flat head phillips can be slotted. A dremel and a cut off wheel is
a better tool than a hacksaw.

If the screw is out, it makes a lot more sense to go buy another one. If
you're close to the store, if the store is open, and if you have the
transportation and the money and the time.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
wouldn't it be easier to get the screw out, spend a couple of bucks at
the Borg and get a small box of new screws?

http://www.houselogic.com/blog/repai...tripped-screw/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 6:15*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I find that most screws, when they srip out, not enough metal left to slot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:22:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

wouldn't it be easier to get the screw out, spend a couple of bucks at
the Borg and get a small box of new screws?

http://www.houselogic.com/blog/repai...tripped-screw/

I think he thinks if he can't tighten the screw he can't take it out,
either. If he repairs the slot, he can do either. So he just
iightens it.

I took stripped to mean the threads are ruined.

But he seems to mean the slot is ruined and the screwdriver couldnt'
bite until the slot was recut.

Does "stripped" apply to a damaged slot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:15:11 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I find that most screws, when they srip out, not enough metal left to slot.
Sometimes flat head phillips can be slotted. A dremel and a cut off wheel is
a better tool than a hacksaw.

If the screw is out, it makes a lot more sense to go buy another one. If
you're close to the store, if the store is open, and if you have the
transportation and the money and the time.

Also, if it is a decorative hinge and the screws show, you probably
can't get it at a store.

I waited until a neighbor threw away original cabinets identical to
mine, to get replacement hinges and screws to go with them. . Two of
my hinges had been damaged by a tube carton of toilet bowl cleaner
that was there for months, (cardboard cylinder with flex plactic
insert lid) which eventually filled the space under the sink with bowl
cleaner vapor. The hinges were on t e outside of the door, but they
still got corroded at one end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:55:36 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

For those 'buried' screw heads that strip out, has anybody tried
placing a drop of really, really good glue on the head; after slightly
setting up, making an impression of the philips tip into the glue [use
slight oil film to keep tip from sticking]; and after the glue has
set, back the screw out?

Do you ;know a glue that can do that?