Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bat infestation on a tile roof

"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

Too bad for the neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:17:47 -0800, Oren wrote:

"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

More like Holy Bat Cave...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:17:47 -0800, Oren wrote:

"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

Seems to be more like thousands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Oren wrote:
"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

Too bad for the neighborhood.

Bats are actually good for the neighborhood and environment. As you view the
video, you'll noticed there wasn't any damage caused by the bats, they
simply colonized due to the openings of the tiles. Overall, they are useful
as a warning sign to potential environmental problems, they help control the
insect population, mainly the mesquito population but also other insects
which can be dangerous to humans.

Bats are our friends. : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 3:29*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Oren wrote:
"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

Too bad for the neighborhood.

Actually no real change unless they moved in the night before. I'm
guessing folks had been seeing bats in the neighborhood before this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RonB wrote:
On Jan 24, 3:29 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Oren wrote:
"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of
bats come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

Too bad for the neighborhood.

Actually no real change unless they moved in the night before. I'm
guessing folks had been seeing bats in the neighborhood before this.

The change will be as they relocate elsewhere after their home was destroyed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:52:33 -0500, "Justin Time"

Bats are our friends. : )

Yes they are. I watched a former co-worker go through a series of
shots. Exposed to bat droppings. This home will surely have them
under the tile. In the video no one had a respirator... or spoke
British.

A lot of people go through the shots simply because the offending bat could
not be captured and dissected:

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/

"Rabies is a fatal disease. Each year, tens of thousands of people are
successfully protected from developing rabies through vaccination after
being bitten by an animal like a bat that may have rabies."

The actual number of fatalities is quite low, and usually means a bite
victim did not seek medical treatment, but bats are still the number one
vector of the disease. Bats found inside the home, acting erratically
should be captured - children are often bitten in their sleep without waking
up. It may save them from the once *very* nasty "rabies series" of shots.

http://health.mo.gov/living/healthco...icable/rabies/ says:

The current series of shots is very effective if given soon after the
exposure, and is fewer in number with far less side effects than the
anti-rabies regimen given prior to 1980. However, the current series is not
without some discomfort and risk, and averages several thousand dollars per
series per patient. The shots are not effective once symptoms develop.
Persons who have never been vaccinated against rabies receive two different
products: human rabies immunoglobulin (HRIG) and human rabies vaccine. The
dose of HRIG depends upon the weight of the person, and is generally
infiltrated by needle and syringe at the site of the bite. These persons
also receive four intramuscular doses of vaccine over the next 14 days5.
Persons with altered immunocompetence (and not previously vaccinated) should
receive a five-dose vaccination regimen with one dose of RIG. Persons who
are exposed to a rabid animal but have been previously vaccinated require
only two booster doses of vaccine three days apart.

All in all, I take the position: "I don't live in your trees or burrows -
don't move into my house and we'll be (mostly) fine." My dog enforces that
position with great determination. She's too proud to roll over for me, but
she'll squirm upside all night in the juice of a cricket she just killed.
Then she'll patrol the spot where she found him with extra vigilence for a
week or so afterward.

Bats *are* our friends, especially if they do their "bat thing" away from
human habitation. I'd even support artifically "bat caves" mounted on
telephone pole or some other bat-attractive structure.

It's pigeons that are our TRUE enemy! I recently learned that in many
cities, pigeon-netting is being applied to bridge ironwork because bridge
engineers have realized that pigeon poop turns into a pretty potent
corrosive agent over time. I also learned that the Tappan Zee bridge was
built on the cheap with wood pilings that are in danger of being infested
with shipworms.

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/t...8_2011/596365/

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 3:17 PM, Oren wrote:
"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

As I watched I kept wishing I could relocate a couple hundred of them to
a bat house near my house. Yes, I'm a bat hugger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 5:55*am, Tony Miklos wrote:

As I watched I kept wishing I could relocate a couple hundred of them to
a bat house near my house. *Yes, I'm a bat hugger.

Wellllll..... I think they are pretty cool little critters too. On
occasion we have flocks of them appear in the evening down here is SE
Kansas. Love to watch them swoop and do their evening rituals which
is probably hunting insects.

But we have enough.

Ron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:52:33 -0500, "Justin Time"

Bats are our friends. : )

Yes they are. I watched a former co-worker go through a series of
shots. Exposed to bat droppings. This home will surely have them
under the tile. In the video no one had a respirator... or spoke
British.

A lot of people go through the shots simply because the offending bat could
not be captured and dissected:

The issue referenced is histoplasmosis, not rabies. Histoplasmisis is
caused by a bacteria that is sometimes found in bat droppings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2012 2:17 PM, Oren wrote:
"HOLY BATMAN! A crew of carpenters are in for a surprise when they
begin the tear off process of a clients' old roof and hundreds of bats
come flying out from underneath the tiles!"

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1327098468

What!? You've never seen a Mexican Bat Dance before? It would be good to
put up a bat house much like a bird house but a bit different to keep
the bats around for insect control. ^_^

http://store.batconservation.org/bat...FecmtAodMD2q5w

http://preview.tinyurl.com/88nwxsh

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:52:33 -0500, "Justin Time"

Bats are our friends. : )

Yes they are. I watched a former co-worker go through a series of
shots. Exposed to bat droppings. This home will surely have them
under the tile. In the video no one had a respirator... or spoke
British.

A lot of people go through the shots simply because the offending bat

could
not be captured and dissected:

The issue referenced is histoplasmosis, not rabies. Histoplasmisis is
caused by a bacteria that is sometimes found in bat droppings.

Never said otherwise. Just pointing out that in addition to histoplasmOsis,
bats transmit more rabies than any other animal in America and that finding
them in your house can indicate that they're rabid. Probably not in this
case, but indoor bats are not to be taken lightly. They usually stay away
from humans and those that do approach humans are usually injured or sick
and can have rabies.

As for "Caver's Lung" - it's not something to dismiss lightly:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002073/

histoplasmosis may become widespread (disseminated), and involve the
blood, meninges (outer covering of the brain), adrenal glands, and other
organs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hi...6840_lores.jpg

Bob Dylan was hospitalized due to histoplasmosis in 1997, causing the
cancellation of concerts in the United Kingdom and Switzerland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoplasmosis

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Both histoplasmosis and rabid bats are far more rare than the hype
around them. I never said histoplasmosis was anything to sneeze at, just
quite rare. And yes, cavers do pay attention for any signs of
histoplasmosis, but they don't take any special precautions (masks,
hazmat suits, etc.) since the risk is low and as long as you are alert
and catch any case of it promptly it generally isn't a big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

That's kind of funny when you think about it. (-:

just quite rare. And yes, cavers do pay attention for any signs of
histoplasmosis, but they don't take any special precautions (masks,
hazmat suits, etc.) since the risk is low and as long as you are alert
and catch any case of it promptly it generally isn't a big deal.

I distinctly recall a nature video where they were filming one of the
largest bat caves in the world. The guano was so deep that it sucked one of
the videographer's boots off. He was in full, although not quite
well-secured, hazmat gear. And he was very unhappy to get unbooted. Might
even have been Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" program. Not as much fun watching
Marty Stouffer screaming "THE SUIT IS NOT WORKING!" after he donned an
allegedly skunk-proof suit to film a skunk's anal scent glands firing from
close up. But memorable, none-the-less. I'll agree wholeheartedly that the
actual threat from bats is miniscule compared to the 1,000s of other ways
there are to die, but I still would handle one that got into the house with
the utmost care.

--
Bobby G.

PS: I might have to take issue with spelunkers correctly assessing the risks
involved with bat-borne diseases. They do, after all, go crawling into tiny
cracks deep under the earth. That could easily make the bat risk *seem* low
simply compared to the risk of being down there in the first place. (-:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

I'm pretty sure it was a Dirty Jobs episode, and I'm pretty sure they
used the gear because histoplasmosis bacteria were known to be present
at that site.

Not as much fun watching
Marty Stouffer screaming "THE SUIT IS NOT WORKING!" after he donned an
allegedly skunk-proof suit to film a skunk's anal scent glands firing from
close up. But memorable, none-the-less. I'll agree wholeheartedly that the
actual threat from bats is miniscule compared to the 1,000s of other ways
there are to die, but I still would handle one that got into the house with
the utmost care.

--
Bobby G.

PS: I might have to take issue with spelunkers correctly assessing the risks
involved with bat-borne diseases. They do, after all, go crawling into tiny
cracks deep under the earth. That could easily make the bat risk *seem* low
simply compared to the risk of being down there in the first place. (-:

Spelunkers are not cavers... Cavers are the trained and prepared folks
who typically rescue the lost, untrained and unprepared spelunkers.
Cavers have maps of the caves (they surveyed and produced them), have
appropriate gear for caves with vertical drops, etc.

Tile Roof Art Home Repair 4 May 23rd 18 10:25 AM
Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?) Aaron FIsher Home Repair 21 April 11th 11 02:30 PM
Weight of slate roof versus weight of cement tile roof replacement? N_Cook UK diy 10 October 1st 10 07:22 PM
Roof tile identification ? [email protected] UK diy 20 October 14th 05 11:29 AM
Tile to Glass roof [email protected] UK diy 5 August 17th 05 09:01 PM