Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faucet key 3/8 inch

In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square
shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole
in the end. Here is one such:
http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov
and another such.
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=480&uid=2294912283

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a
wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going
to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not
mechanically minded.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 5:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square
shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole
in the end. Here is one such:
http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov
and another such.
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=480&uid=2294912283

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a
wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going
to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not
mechanically minded.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

3/8's drive extension with a handle welded on it.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 6:45*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square
shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole
in the end. Here is one such:
* * *http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov
and another such.
* * *http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=480&uid=2294912283

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a
wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going
to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not
mechanically minded.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Replace the outdoor tamper proof faucet with one which has
a normal valve handle...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square
shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole
in the end. Here is one such:
http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov
and another such.
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=480&uid=2294912283

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a
wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going
to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not
mechanically minded.

$15 for a specialty product? Seems reasonable to me.

Here's the same item for 10.77:

http://tinyurl.com/7gbujo9

Didn't look at the cost of shipping.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

That did occur to me. Last time, I used a 3/8 extension, and a crescent
wrench. worked fine. I'll have to find someone with welding skills.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

3/8's drive extension with a handle welded on it.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, that's some better. Today I found two more of the Zurn key in
question. In the cabinet, with the other plumbing parts. So, we're good for
a while.

I'll book mark that, or send it to myself on email.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 5:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square
shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole
in the end. Here is one such:
http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov
and another such.
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=480&uid=2294912283

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a
wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going
to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not
mechanically minded.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to
time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles
a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6lj9xbz

Not pot-metal like most of them.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, none of the openings is 3/8, they are all too small.

"a 1/4 in., 9/32 in., 5/16 in. and 11/32 in. stem"

You see, 3/8 is also can be called 12/32, which is larger than what this one
offers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to
time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles
a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6lj9xbz

Not pot-metal like most of them.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 7:38*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
And, none of the openings is 3/8, they are all too small.

"a 1/4 in., 9/32 in., 5/16 in. and 11/32 in. stem"

You see, 3/8 is also can be called 12/32, which is larger than what this one
offers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to
time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles
a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6lj9xbz

Not pot-metal like most of them.

TDD

And you know, if you replaced the outdoor tamper proof faucet with
one using a normal handle no one at this "agency" packed with
non-mechanically inclined individuals would EVER have to worry
about this problem EVER again :-O
Posted to alt.home.repair

Last time I encounered this was when my local public library lost it's
hose key.
Solution was to take an ordinary cast iron valve handle and silver
solder a 3/8 drive socket to it with the 3/8 hole facing out.
They still think I'm a wizard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square
shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole
in the end. Here is one such:
http://tinyurl.com/7ekqqov
and another such.
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=480&uid=2294912283

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive?

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save
them $5?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, I (and the place I'm volunteering) do have a big load of 3/8 drive
sockets around. I could grind down the tip of the old faucet key, and glue
it in. I'm not able to weld. Not sure I can silver solder to zinc diecast.
Probably can't weld, either.

Excellent idea, and thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"beecrofter" wrote in message
Last time I encounered this was when my local public library lost it's
hose key.
Solution was to take an ordinary cast iron valve handle and silver
solder a 3/8 drive socket to it with the 3/8 hole facing out.
They still think I'm a wizard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, it's a charity. And, I'm volunteering. It's my slow season, I have some
time. Good point.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jack Hammer" wrote in message

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive?

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save
them $5?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack wrote in message

These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less
expensive?

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save
them $5?

Tell them to have a bake sale and buy a new wrench with the proceeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:17:20 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You know, I (and the place I'm volunteering) do have a big load of 3/8 drive
sockets around. I could grind down the tip of the old faucet key, and glue
it in. I'm not able to weld. Not sure I can silver solder to zinc diecast.
Probably can't weld, either.

Excellent idea, and thank you.

If the 3/8 drive fits, just turn it with a 48" pipe wrench, sheesh. Or
pliers from you tool box. Do I have to think of everything? :-\

"beecrofter" wrote in message
Last time I encounered this was when my local public library lost it's
hose key.
Solution was to take an ordinary cast iron valve handle and silver
solder a 3/8 drive socket to it with the 3/8 hole facing out.
They still think I'm a wizard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry. Just don't tell Mom, like you did the last time?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..