Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing basement stairs? (no carpet or vinyl)

I've removed all carpet from our home and replaced most of the floors
with hard maple or porcelain tile. The two staircases were cheaply
made and intended for carpet; particleboard treads and plywood risers.
For the main staircase I have new oak treads and risers to install,
but the labor involved in ripping out the old ones (it's only
accessible from the top and they are glued/screwed in) has me putting
it off until summer.

My question is the basement staircase. It leads to a finished basement
and guest room that we use for company. I've removed the carpet from
the stairs and painted them as a temporary measure, but clearly need a
permanent solution. We don't want carpet or vinyl in the house so what
alternatives as there for covering the particleboard treads? Are
there ways to paint stairs of this nature that will look good and be
durable? Alternatives to carpet or vinyl for covering?

I'm looking for ideas and hope someone else has found a better
alternative.

thanks,

kiwanda