Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

windriverfamily

Default Should we carpet our stairs?

Folks,
We're building a mountain cabin with a loft. We plan to carpet the second
story, with the lower floor being clad in hardwood flooring. I'm feeling
torn about carpeting the stairs. We've got to make a decision within the
month.

Pros/Cons anyone?

thx, skg

Andy Hill

"windriverfamily" wrote:
We're building a mountain cabin with a loft. We plan to carpet the second
story, with the lower floor being clad in hardwood flooring. I'm feeling
torn about carpeting the stairs. We've got to make a decision within the
month.

Pros/Cons anyone?

Carpet pros:

quieter
cheaper
doesn't hurt quite as bad when you trip

Carpet cons

tends to wear faster than hardwood
not as esthetic as hardwood (IMHO)

You might want to look into using carpeted stairs with hardwood end caps. Costs
more than just carpet, but, IMHO, it's more attractive than just carpet alone.

Tracy

"windriverfamily" wrote in message ...
Folks,
We're building a mountain cabin with a loft. We plan to carpet the second
story, with the lower floor being clad in hardwood flooring. I'm feeling
torn about carpeting the stairs. We've got to make a decision within the
month.

In my personal (and rather painful) experience, uncarpeted stairs can
be very slippery, especially with wet feet. If this cabin will be used
for skiing or water sports, and anyone is likely to be wet, I'd go
with carpet.
ameijers

"Tracy" wrote in message
om...
"windriverfamily" wrote in message

Folks,
We're building a mountain cabin with a loft. We plan to carpet the

second
story, with the lower floor being clad in hardwood flooring. I'm

feeling
torn about carpeting the stairs. We've got to make a decision within

the
month.

In my personal (and rather painful) experience, uncarpeted stairs can
be very slippery, especially with wet feet. If this cabin will be used
for skiing or water sports, and anyone is likely to be wet, I'd go
with carpet.

Hardwood, but with some of that clear nonskid finish stuff mixed in the poly
you coat it with. Satin finish hardwood is VERY slippery on stocking feet in
the middle of the night when you are raiding the fridge. I say hardwood
because carpet on stairs does show wear very quickly, esp on the noses. I
also recommend as square an edge on the treads as you can stand, just
rounded enough not to splinter. That bullnose is where most slip'n'falls
start, in my experience. Wide deep treads are best. Would a faux wrought
iron staircase look out of place? Is stairway open or enclosed? Don't
forget railings- they make a big difference in slip rates.

aem sends...