DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day..." (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/334192-re-if-fred-got-two-beatings-per-day.html)

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 02:14 AM

"If Fred Beat His pillow at night..."

Were the nightmares replaced with other fears?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

It was back in the middle of the last century when child rearing was
based on keeping children in constant terror. My first grade teacher
was an American nun and even more ornery and I had another female
teacher who was not a nun, just as mean. It was a different era before
Political Correctness and The Dumbassification of America became part
of the educational system. When I was in college, I do remember hearing
that those loony Irish nuns, who tormented me so, left the order and one
of them wound up marrying one of the priests who also resigned from the
priesthood. Any kids they may have had would be in their 50's now. I
sort of wonder how screwed up their offspring may be or if they were
able to recover after many years like I did except for the weird tic
and other involuntary movements that plague me? The nightmares with
giant albino penguins chasing me stopped when I was about 30. o_O

TDD

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 02:15 AM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

I hope someday you'll have a spiritual awakening, and gain a testimony.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I didn't say tradition was enough. I emphasized righteous conduct. The sages
teach there are four things on which the human mind should not dwell: What
came before, what comes after, what is above, and what is below. The reason
behind this admonishment is simple: we can't do anything about any one of
them. The streets of heaven may be paved with gold. Or mud. Whatever they're
paved with, that's God's province, not mine.

But we can make this a better world. Today. If you're hungry, I can make you
a sandwich. If you're tired, I have a spare couch.

I ask you, how much closer would we be today toward a cure for cancer, or
world peace, or ignoring Lady GaGa, if some really great thinkers of the
past had not frittered away much of their intellect on questions such as
"How many angles can dance on the head of a pin?"

As for your quotation, Jesus may have been mistaken, exaggerating,
mistranslated, or simply misquoted by the anonymous author of the Book of
John. Don't forget, the Book of John was written about AD 90 and was
certainly not a contemporaneous account (it was, probably, a redaction of an
oral tradition - there's that word again).

Aside:
You've heard of Occam's Razor? It's the notion that of two competing
explanations, the simpler is more likely to be preferred. Interestingly, in
Biblical exegesis, the more COMPLICATED of two possibilities is more likely
the truth or the earlier rendition. Quite simple to explain: A copyist
looking at a passage says to himself: "Nobody will understand this. I'll
just simplify it." And there we have it.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] January 12th 12 02:18 AM

"If Fred Beat the parochial boys with a rod Twice Per Day..."

On 1/11/2012 8:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Does the sight of a priest give you rectal sphincter pucker?

No, that wasn't the kind of abuse that I ever heard of back then. o_O

TDD

Oren[_2_] January 12th 12 02:21 AM

"If Fred Beat His Meat Twice Per Day..."

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:07:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Do you think the nuns were so ornery because they seldom (if ever) got
laid?

[...]

.....look a monkey

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 02:22 AM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

I wonder sometimes. If I kneel in front of the bed, or at the wrong angle on
the side. Will some elderly woman in Kansas City MO get a wicked head rush,
which is the prayer I meant for someone in the next town over from me?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 03:01 AM

"If Fred Beat the parochial boys with a rod Twice Per Day..."

I'd dare to guess that sexual abuse has been around for a lot of
generations. Might not have been on Oprah Winfrey or Phil Donohue, though.

Less is better, for some matters.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

HeyBub[_3_] January 12th 12 11:40 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I wonder sometimes. If I kneel in front of the bed, or at the wrong
angle on the side. Will some elderly woman in Kansas City MO get a
wicked head rush, which is the prayer I meant for someone in the next
town over from me?

If you face toward Mecca, you should be okay.

HeyBub[_3_] January 12th 12 11:44 AM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

Oren wrote:

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!

I always liked:

"Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth into
battle -- be Thou near them! With them -- in spirit -- we also go forth from
the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God,
help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to
cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help
us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded,
writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane
of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with
unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little
children to wander unfriended in the wastes of their desolated land in rags
and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames in summer and the icy winds
of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring thee for the
refuge of the grave and denied it --

"For our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives,
protract their bitter pilgrimmage, make heavy their steps, water their way
with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet!
"

Amen.

HeyBub[_3_] January 12th 12 11:46 AM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I hope someday you'll have a spiritual awakening, and gain a
testimony.

Hope is not a strategy; Change is not a tactic.

If you detect something amiss with the way I, and others of a similar
persuasion, run their lives, I'd be pleased to hear it.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 01:36 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

Well, that sure is a BIG opening. This being a home repair list, I'll be
brief. I'd like you and everyone on this list to seek out the Mormon
missionaries. Learn what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
actually teaches. Learn and know the truth, keep the commandments of God.
And return to God with glory at the end of your life (which won't be for a
long, long time).

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 01:42 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

They probably have a big reflector, and I'll be struck dead by the prayers
of all the jihadists who want to kill the infidel. Have a big heart attack
or something.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Tony Miklos[_2_] January 12th 12 03:18 PM

On 1/12/2012 6:44 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Oren wrote:

[...]

Sweet! Is that a children's bedtime story?

Bob_Villa January 12th 12 03:28 PM

Oren wrote:

[...]

You show your immaturity and lack of respect...if you can't fathom
what others' believe...you can at least respect it. Open your mind
instead of closing it like your sphincter.

Harry K January 12th 12 04:06 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

On Jan 12, 5:36*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Well, that sure is a BIG opening. This being a home repair list, I'll be
brief. I'd like you and everyone on this list to seek out the Mormon
missionaries. Learn what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
actually teaches. Learn and know the truth, keep the commandments of God.
And return to God with glory at the end of your life (which won't be for a
long, long time).

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I hope someday you'll have a spiritual awakening, and gain a
testimony.

Hope is not a strategy; Change is not a tactic.

If you detect something amiss with the way I, and others of a similar
persuasion, run their lives, I'd be pleased to hear it.

I've run enough of them and JWs off my porch in the past that they
finally learned not to come a knocking. Birds of a feather flock
together, no difference between them.

Harry K

Harry K January 12th 12 04:08 PM

Oren wrote:

[...]

instead of closing it like your sphincter.- Hide quoted text -

Why would I respect something for which there is no evidence?

Pity them? Yes. Respect? No way.
Harry K

Harry K January 12th 12 04:10 PM

On Jan 11, 3:45*pm, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:24*pm, Oren wrote:

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". *Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

"God answers all prayers, sometimes yes, sometimes no" The biggest
copout excuse of all time.

Harry K

Bob_Villa January 12th 12 04:18 PM

On Jan 11, 5:24*pm, Oren wrote:

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". *Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

"God answers all prayers, sometimes yes, sometimes no" *The biggest
copout excuse of all time.

Harry K

I'm sure you feel compelled to spew your angst because you don't like
being preached at. A "true" atheist is content within themselves and
don't need to "look down" on others for their base beliefs.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 04:26 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

I'd say there is a BIG diff. JW's are protestants, with a missionary zeal.
LDS are the Church of Jesus Christ, with the authority of God to act on the
Earth.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 04:27 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

Does God believe in atheists?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Bob_Villa January 12th 12 05:03 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

"Harry K" wrote in message

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

"God answers all prayers, sometimes yes, sometimes no" *The biggest
copout excuse of all time.

Harry K

He EVEN listens to "top posters"!

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 05:50 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

Top posters are closer to God.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Oren[_2_] January 12th 12 06:34 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 05:44:28 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[...]

Is this Gen. George Patton? 3rd Army....

Oren[_2_] January 12th 12 08:05 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:27:40 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Does God believe in atheists?

Yes, of course. Along with a healthy dose of humor. Don't believe me,
just go visit Walmart.

HeyBub[_3_] January 12th 12 08:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

No, it's the "War Prayer" by Mark Twain.

HeyBub[_3_] January 12th 12 08:29 PM

Harry K wrote:

Why would I respect something for which there is no evidence?

Pity them? Yes. Respect? No way.
Harry K

There's plenty of evidence. For example, there were 200,000 eye-witnesses to
the manifestation of God at Sinai. Plus women, children, slaves, and
assorted domestic animals. Following that, there was an unbroken oral
transmission of the event from generation to generation until it was finally
written down.

As such, that event has as much validity as a report in the New York Times!

No, wait...

Never mind.

HeyBub[_3_] January 12th 12 08:33 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Well, that sure is a BIG opening. This being a home repair list, I'll
be brief. I'd like you and everyone on this list to seek out the
Mormon missionaries. Learn what the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints actually teaches. Learn and know the truth, keep
the commandments of God. And return to God with glory at the end of
your life (which won't be for a long, long time).

..

Hope is not a strategy; Change is not a tactic.

If you detect something amiss with the way I, and others of a similar
persuasion, run their lives, I'd be pleased to hear it.

I deduce that you have not even the slightest ambivalence with what I've
said. If you can't offer a single objection, but instead, in spite of the
"big opening," pass off the response to others, it would probably be best to
not offer an opinion at all.

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 12th 12 08:48 PM

Save the whales! Or the Christians?

You got me. I bow to your greatness. So, so, so right.

Wasn't there a Youtube about the people of Walmart?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Reed January 12th 12 09:03 PM

On 1/12/12 3:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You got me. I bow to your greatness. So, so, so right.

Wasn't there a Youtube about the people of Walmart?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

that became a whole website of its own

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Harry K January 13th 12 04:21 AM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

"Harry K" wrote in message

I've run enough of them and JWs off my porch in the past that they
finally learned not to come a knocking. *Birds of a feather flock
together, no difference between them.

Harry K

Both have exactly the same evidence to their beliefs, i.e., none at
all. Both work from a book of myths and legends.

Harry K

Harry K

Harry K January 13th 12 04:24 AM

On Jan 11, 5:24*pm, Oren wrote:

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". *Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

"God answers all prayers, sometimes yes, sometimes no" *The biggest
copout excuse of all time.

Harry K

I'm sure you feel compelled to spew your angst because you don't like
being preached at. *A "true" atheist is content within themselves and
don't need to "look down" on others for their base beliefs.

I don't "look down" on the theists. Just get a good laugh at their
antics. They want to put their beliefs out there, they should expect
some rebuttals.

Harry K

Harry K January 13th 12 04:25 AM

On Jan 12, 12:29*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Why would I respect something for which there is no evidence?

Pity them? * Yes. *Respect? *No way.
Harry K

There's plenty of evidence. For example, there were 200,000 eye-witnesses to
the manifestation of God at Sinai. Plus women, children, slaves, and
assorted domestic animals. Following that, there was an unbroken oral
transmission of the event from generation to generation until it was finally
written down.

As such, that event has as much validity as a report in the New York Times!

No, wait...

Never mind.

LOL, exactly!

Harry K

Harry K January 13th 12 04:25 AM

wrote:

[...]

No, it's the "War Prayer" by Mark Twain.- Hide quoted text -

Now how did I miss that? I am a great fan of his and somehow didn't
recognize the quote.

Harry K

Bob_Villa January 13th 12 11:25 AM

On Jan 12, 10:25*pm, Harry K wrote:

No, it's the "War Prayer" by Mark Twain.- Hide quoted text -

Now how did I miss that? * I am a great fan of his and somehow didn't
recognize the quote.

Harry K

It's obvious...God is pulling your chain! ;^)

Stormin Mormon[_7_] January 13th 12 01:36 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

None is so blind, but he who refuses to see.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Tony Miklos[_2_] January 13th 12 02:23 PM

Oren wrote:

[...]

Maybe it would get respect if it was on topic in the right forum, but
not here, not by me.

Tony Miklos[_2_] January 13th 12 02:27 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

"Harry wrote in message

I've run enough of them and JWs off my porch in the past that they
finally learned not to come a knocking. Birds of a feather flock
together, no difference between them.

Harry K

Both have exactly the same evidence to their beliefs, i.e., none at
all. Both work from a book of myths and legends.

Harry K

Hey! The bible was written by the same people who said the earth was
flat. It's got to be true!

HeyBub[_3_] January 13th 12 03:16 PM

wrote:

[...]

Well, it does have the word "prayer" in the title.

Bob_Villa January 13th 12 03:53 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

On Jan 13, 8:27*am, Tony Miklos wrote:

Hey! *The bible was written by the same people who said the earth was
flat. *It's got to be true!

You're showing your ignorance. Genesis/Creation refers to the "Great
Dome" of the Earth (its atmosphere).

The Middle Ages came-up with an Earth that was flat.

Attila.Iskander January 13th 12 04:07 PM

"If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 8:27 am, Tony Miklos wrote:

Hey! The bible was written by the same people who said the earth was
flat. It's got to be true!

You're showing your ignorance. Genesis/Creation refers to the "Great
Dome" of the Earth (its atmosphere).

The Middle Ages came-up with an Earth that was flat.

The atheists work off ignorant prejudice most of the time, due a a badly
misplace superiority complex