Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making snow

Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 9:00*am, ransley wrote:
Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

I haven't tried it, but my observation of snow making
eqpt at ski resorts is that they all seem to
use eqpt that mixes a lot of air with the water.
They typically use compressed air. Some also
have fans of some type. When you pass by them
you hear more air than water. Since the pressure
washers I've used just put out water at high
pressure, I would tend to think it would not
work and you'd tend to get more ice than snow.
But, you could try it, who knows?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 8:10*am, "
wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:00*am, ransley wrote:

Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

I haven't tried it, but my observation of snow making
eqpt at ski resorts is that they all seem to
use eqpt that mixes a lot of air with the water.
They typically use compressed air. *Some also
have fans of some type. *When you pass by them
you hear more air than water. *Since the pressure
washers I've used just put out water at high
pressure, I would tend to think it would not
work and you'd tend to get more ice than snow.
But, you could try it, who knows?

Even if it was ice at least it would look like winter in my back yard,
getting
tired of the no snow look, my problem I see is I only have one nozzle
a zero degree,
15-30 degree nozzle gives a finer spray
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 06:00:49 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

I tried it yesterday, but since it was 61 degrees here in CT, it did
not work well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2012 9:00 AM, ransley wrote:
Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

I've read some sick and twisted **** from this group but wanting to make
snow crosses the line. You need professional help! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 6:00*am, ransley wrote:
Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

Everything you ever wanted to know about snowmaking?

A lot of information here.......

http://www.snowathome.com/

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Works great. I did this in front of my Mom's nursing home, and it was more
fun than anything I'd done all year. Fan spray and point the nozzle up good
and high.

Wait about ten minutes until the water hardens, and then pull the fire
alarm.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"ransley" wrote in message
Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zero tip works fine, if you point it nearly straight up in the air. Let us
know how it turns out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"ransley" wrote in message

Even if it was ice at least it would look like winter in my back yard,
getting
tired of the no snow look, my problem I see is I only have one nozzle
a zero degree,
15-30 degree nozzle gives a finer spray

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2012 9:00 AM, ransley wrote:
Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

My old, now defunct, pressure washer had an adjustable nozzle thingy.
The water shot out of a small orifice and would drill a hole in just
about anything you pointed it at. However, there were 2 parallel metal
diverter that, when adjusted would move closer together and make the
spray more a fan pattern. There was a sweet spot that when you just
brought in the metal plates and held the gun straight out, that would
create something that looked like fog. I suppose if you did this at 10
degrees or lower, you'd have snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 4:03*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
On 1/8/2012 9:00 AM, ransley wrote: Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

My old, now defunct, pressure washer had an adjustable nozzle thingy.
The water shot out of a small orifice and would drill a hole in just
about anything you pointed it at. *However, there were 2 parallel metal
diverter that, when adjusted would move closer together and make the
spray more a fan pattern. *There was a sweet spot that when you just
brought in the metal plates and held the gun straight out, that would
create something that looked like fog. *I suppose if you did this at 10
degrees or lower, you'd have snow.

It's been much too warm here in the Chicago area to make snow. The
local ski molehills are all shut down, we have had maybe 1/2 inch of
flurries total this year. My neighbor has a hockey rink setup in his
back yard, all it has done so far is kill the grass underneath as it
tries to grow thru the plastic of the bottom of the rink. Forecast
for the next week is 40's daytimes, hi 20's at night for a couple
nights, in the 30's for the nightime lows the renmaining nights. The
sports stores are going bonkers, nothing for winter sports that they
normally sell is selling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 9:00*am, ransley wrote:
Has anyone tried using their pressure washer to make snow, im tired of
seeing grass and thought of giving it a try.

Just as an FYI...

It is my understanding that the possibly-soon-to-be-bankrupt Eastman
Kodak Co. was the accidental inventor of Snomax, the snowmaking
technology that is still in wide spread use today.

The way I heard it was that a Kodak engineer was working on a non-snow
related project and it started snowing in his lab. He retraced his
steps, figured out what he had done and Snomax Technologies Inc.was
born.

I don't believe that Kodak owns the company anymore...probably sold
off to help raise cash years ago.